COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Im very glad that I don't work in the HVAC/Building Maintenance industry these days, most of my work is confined to outdoor industrial plant and aircraft hangars!
luckily for me most HVAC stuff is shutting down as fm’s hoard their budget.

waste and potable water related breakdowns are on the rise though.
Gotta love social distancing in confined spaces.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Im very glad that I don't work in the HVAC/Building Maintenance industry these days, most of my work is confined to outdoor industrial plant and aircraft hangars!
It's being reported that they're finding traces of coronavirus on surfaces in cabins on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan 17 days after passengers had left the boat.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Very good point. Recent studies on virus viability on hard surfaces indicated that:

It's quite scary how long its claimed it can last outside the body and they still don't really know everything about it, lots of conflicting studies done on it. People really should take caution with bringing items home from shopping and try to wash and wipe down as much as you can.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's being reported that they're finding traces of coronavirus on surfaces in cabins on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan 17 days after passengers had left the boat.
Ian mckay on twitter (aussie virologist) said that even though the virus was present on surfaces for a long time it loses it’s potency. A certain amount of “viral load” is needed to contract the virus. I am para phrasing here. It seems surface contact on materials has risk but hand washing will generally bring down the viral load on your hands. So wash hands before eating or preparing food..

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ian mckay on twitter (aussie virologist) said that even though the virus was present on surfaces for a long time it loses it’s potency. A certain amount of “viral load” is needed to contract the virus. I am para phrasing here. It seems surface contact on materials has risk but hand washing will generally bring down the viral load on your hands. So wash hands before eating or preparing food..
How many people would dump the shopping on the kitchen table and sort it, then leave items in original packaging and put them away that an infected person may have touched or sneezed on at the shops ? All the surface contact in the back of the car, then wipe their eyes or pick their nose afterwards.

Last edited:

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
5th weekday of a family of 4 being home together. Kids are being pretty good about their school work, apart from my wife giving the younger one the year 5 history papers instead of year 2 maths. And the older one being given a task that required playing a beat on pots and pans for music. Trying to think what we did to piss of the music teacher.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Who's still at work? Are you going against your work's policy to stay home?
Our company's stance has been to follow the official advice from the government, which has been non-committal and convoluted to say the least, but to be honest, the more this goes on, the more uncomfortable I am with actually coming to work. I wish the government would just shut everything down for 2-3 weeks. Short term pain, long term gain.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
5th weekday of a family of 4 being home together. Kids are being pretty good about their school work, apart from my wife giving the younger one the year 5 history papers instead of year 2 maths. And the older one being given a task that required playing a beat on pots and pans for music. Trying to think what we did to piss of the music teacher.
If it’s any consolation I really, really appreciate his/her music teacher.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
There will be a whole new level of respect for teachers after all the home schooling and kids finally go back to school...... I saw a good quote.
" After days of home schooling I now see the problem isn't the teachers...."

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Went out to get one last retail purchase, and thats it for me...

Had an argument with a stupid woman on the register. She just had holidays and wants to keep working. Thinks its all over blown, "its just a flu". Doesn't think it matters to her, shell stay home if she feels crook, but otherwise ignores all the news and "listens to herself"...

Broke the news to her that its not all about her, and if she is not medically trained her opinion is not valid. She didn't care.

Fuck me... And this is why we are screwed. Fucktards everywhere.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How many people would dump the shopping on the kitchen table and sort it, then leave items in original packaging and put them away that an infected person may have touched or sneezed on at the shops ? All the surface contact in the back of the car, then wipe their eyes or pick their nose afterwards.
Yep that’s why they say wash your hands all the time, even if you haven’t been out.. You can’t possibly remember what you have and haven’t touched..

moorey

call me Mia
Our company's stance has been to follow the official advice from the government, which has been non-committal and convoluted to say the least, but to be honest, the more this goes on, the more uncomfortable I am with actually coming to work. I wish the government would just shut everything down for 2-3 weeks. Short term pain, long term gain.
From home. All Skype and email. Other than frontline staff in the residential units. I would consider most of what my organization does to be ‘essential’, though 90% is being done from home. I can’t say it is overly effectual.
Lasting damage will be done to the families and young people we work with....but I guess it’s deemed as less damage than potentially spreading infection.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I think the message is pretty clear for employers, regardless of what the fed & state governments say: if you can work from home you should. We had a videocon with a couple of teachers from my daughter's school earlier this morning - they told us that 50% of students are absent, so clearly parents able to take their kids out school are doing so too - ignoring the health advice given to the government (although parents were told that it was their choice as to whether they send their kids to school or not).

Stay at home. Don't give it, don't get it.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'm trying to get Kirsty to tell her boss to jump and come home...