COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
There is a Lancet article which using smarter people than me comes to a mortality rate around 5.7%. The Lancet paper draws attention to the fact we need to consider current mortality rates, 4.36%, are discounted by the incubation period.
I’m no expert either, but that seems like a misleading article. As @___ says, those that die likely don’t last 14 days, and they don’t count asymptomatic cases which could be as high as 30-50% based on some countries’ test data, or even those that get mild symptoms and simply do the right thing and stay at home for two weeks and get better without burdening the health system or being tested.

That Lancet article is biased toward saying that “more of the people that get the sickest are dying”. The longer the pandemic lasts, the less relevant looking at an arbitrary two week window in time becomes too. Even individual countries will see varying overall mortality rates, because of the particular genetic mutation(s) of Sars-CoV-2 in the population, the overall number of cases and whether the health system is being overwhelmed or not.

On scarier news, my wife just showed me a video of a woman in Chullora Woolies being arrested for allegedly spitting on fruit and veg, and who has apparently tested positive for COVID19. Edit: unconfirmed so could be more fake news to create hate. Edit Edit: yes - load of shit, apologies for the misinformation. The missus spends too much time looking a dodgy sources...

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Something that seems to have been completely ignored is the maintenance of physical and mental health. A sizeable (yes I meant that pun) of this country's population is fat, lazy and unhealthy as a result, and already posing a major burden on our health system. While "social distancing" is somewhat necessary, many of the fat & lazy will see it as further encouragement to not get off the couch and exercise, which will only exacerbate the health problems they already have, further burdening the health system.

On the mental side, well we're in for a rough trot whichever way you look at it. But it's imperative that people are able to get outside, do stuff and be even just a little bit active to keep the brain ticking along OK. Total lockdown is not a good idea; it could very well cause a bigger problem than the one it's seeking to avert.

Here I get a little bit personal.... I've lived with depression in varying degrees of severity for 15 or so years, and right now I'm edgy as fuck. So far I've been able to work as normal, so I've got that routine to stay in for now at least to keep me on a level field. But in the long run I'm more worried about my mental health than the small risk posed by the virus.. I am by nature a solitary beast, so the social distancing thing doesn't bother me in the slightest, I could quite happily not deal with other people for weeks on end. But I need to be able to get out, ride my bike, go kayaking, sailing, bushwalking or whatever, anything to get myself outside to feed my brain. I can do all of these things in total, blissful isolation, posing no risk to anyone else, and less risk to myself..If I am forced to become a virtual prisoner in my own home, I will go batshit crazy hemmed in by the same wals and fences. It won't be a good thing. Depression damn near killed me once before, and I sure as hell don't want to let it have another crack. So I am not locking down, but I'm also not hunting out crowds to hang out in, 'cos that's not my scene anyway.
Ive been running up against the edge of anxiety laden depression for a while now, this isn’t helping... Some isolation would be a good thing for me though! Plus I have some real doggos for company so that helps (and the missus).

Article about this today. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rdest-need-our-support?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I’m no expert either, but that seems like a misleading article. As @___ says, those that die likely don’t last 14 days, and they don’t count asymptomatic cases which could be as high as 30-50% based on some countries’ test data, or even those that get mild symptoms and simply do the right thing and stay at home for two weeks and get better without burdening the health system or being tested.

That Lancet article is biased toward saying that “more of the people that get the sickest are dying”. The longer the pandemic lasts, the less relevant looking at an arbitrary two week window in time becomes too. Even individual countries will see varying overall mortality rates, because of the particular genetic mutation(s) of Sars-CoV-2 in the population, the overall number of cases and whether the health system is being overwhelmed or not.

On scarier news, my wife just showed me a video of a woman in Chullora Woolies being arrested for allegedly spitting on fruit and veg, and who has apparently tested positive for COVID19. Edit: unconfirmed so could be more fake news to create hate.
This is debunked some racists ahole right wing neo nazi spliced video together of a woman in Asia spitting on bananas with someone getting arrested in Woolies. Use your heads people the video looks obviously doctored and designed to push right wing agendas in this time of crisis.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
This is debunked some racists ahole right wing neo nazi spliced video together of a woman in Asia spitting on bananas with someone getting arrested in Woolies. Use your heads people the video looks obviously doctored and designed to push right wing agendas in this time of crisis.
Thanks for clarifying - edited my original post to reflect. I was still half asleep when the wife showed me and wasn't thinking.

Let's see where this one goes too - Greta trying to stay relevant (source)?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thanks for clarifying - edited my original post to reflect.
No worries there is a lot of BS out there at the moment. I saw the original and the background music was Chinese supermarket music. That's how you know this is a racial hit job because they removed the audio.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I never knew biohackers were a thing, but good on them:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...-making-a-rapid-test-for-coronavirus/12084974

With a name like "Meow Ludo Meow Meow", we have to take him seriously...
They are an interesting group I read about them years ago as they have a lot of run ins with regulators. If anyone is going to get us out of this it's going to people thinking outside the box.

Meow Ludo Meow Meow for health Minister and Warnie PM, starting to put together a good cabinet here.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
4 words, google it if you like!
Central Plant Air Conditioning.....If they haven't shut it down yet, Y'all be fucked!
Very good point. Recent studies on virus viability on hard surfaces indicated that:

Under experimental conditions, it found that the virus remained viable in air for the entire three-hour experiment.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dan Andrews presser atm, the only leader with clear communication if you are after it interstate peeps. He clearly said there is a stage 3 it is close and it is 100% coming. Not today but it has been planned by the national cabinet.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
After being devastated, Italy has finally started to reduce it number of new cases, 2 weeks after stay at home orders enforced.
Yet here ‘we’ are, along with the US largely ignoring the warning. Not going to end well for us...and far worse for the US
Is reducing the American population such a, bad thing...?
Any reason why Victoria has so many more recovered cases than anywhere else in Australia?
Surely just more young people who got tested?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Very good point. Recent studies on virus viability on hard surfaces indicated that:

Im very glad that I don't work in the HVAC/Building Maintenance industry these days, most of my work is confined to outdoor industrial plant and aircraft hangars!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sorry to drag up this unpleasantness, and I know that the vast majority here are well informed enough to know what they're looking at when they see it. Just felt that this was a worthwhile thing to be on top of.

Kristy also did a decent podcast here last year on right wing extremism: https://aca.st/fb05dd

Extreme right groups exploiting virus fear and tension

Right wing extremist groups are rallying to fuel coronavirus panic by exploiting images of social division - including fights over toilet paper, a leading expert warns.

Dr Kristy Campion, a lecturer and researcher at the Australian Graduate School of Policing and Security (AGSPS) at Charles Sturt University, said members of extremist groups were using encrypted internet sites to encourage followers to exploit tensions during the crisis.

"They are basically encouraging people to create fake news about the coronavirus to create social unrest," she said.

"In certain Telegram channels they are encouraging followers to spread disinformation about coronavirus in order to exacerbate tensions.
"They are saying create and share social media posts about people killing each other for resources or people deliberately infecting food or even calling police and journalists and threatening them that you have coronavirus and will deliberately spread it in crowded areas."

Dr Campion said this was part of an ideological movement that tried to capitalise on and exacerbate panic "because they want society to collapse".
Some extremist groups held an ideology known as accelerationism - a belief that society is doomed to collapse and that the best way to achieve social change is to accelerate that collapse. This would then allow society to be rebuilt according to a preferred world view, such as white nationalism.

Dr Campion said accelerationism can manifest among the various Extreme Right groupings including fascists, neo-Nazis and wotansvolk (the white nationalist movement).

"They want to speed up the collapse so society can be destroyed and rebuilt in the way they want it to be," she said.
"Once society has been destroyed, these various movements believe it can be rebuilt in a form which they believe is purer (and superior) to current society."

Shooters behind the massacres in Christchurch, New Zealand and El Paso, Texas called themselves eco-fascists who believe that forces including overpopulation or birth rates were contributing to the destruction of a white supremacist society. Similar views about the displacement of a white supremacist society are perpetuated by neo-Nazi groups.

"Disunity and ruptures of social cohesion are a very common tactic in the extreme right and the best way to combat that is to band together and to be united in a common cause rather than allowing them fragment us and have us fighting, bickering," Dr Campion said.

Research from Dr Campion and her team was in high demand nationally and internationally. She said right wing extremism had been active in Australia for many years.

The university's Master of Terrorism and Securities Studies is one of only a handful of terrorism courses in the world which focuses on terrorism threats as opposed to general theory on politics or international relations.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Dr Campion said this was part of an ideological movement that tried to capitalise on and exacerbate panic "because they want society to collapse".
Some extremist groups held an ideology known as accelerationism - a belief that society is doomed to collapse and that the best way to achieve social change is to accelerate that collapse. This would then allow society to be rebuilt according to a preferred world view, such as white nationalism.
TBH, if we let them, this may well happen.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I decided to hoard bikes (rather than TP) and bought a Pole evolink 140 last Thursday. Now waiting for the frame to be shipped. I think I'll be lucky to see it shipped tomorrow (they say 1 week, but I don't think it will happen).

Oh I broke my NY resolution as well (not buying anymore bikes). Ups..

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Dropped kirsty at work, went to drop past aldi for some random crap we've run out of. There was a queue around the block waiting for it to open...