Black Dogs and mental shit in general

moorey

call me Mia
Rods and Cones...

Cones for colour and bright light, Rods for low light...

You might have ineffective Rods.

I know Sue has. Her eyes are way better than mine, but in low light she is toast.
Sounds about right. Excellent in good light..unless closer than about 12”. Low light is balls.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I must have hyperactive rods then. Not a fan of a sunny day - it's borderline painful - but can see well (very well) at night - even with just a sliver of moonlight (once the eyes have had the requisite adjustment period of course).
I'm with you. I hate bright lights and all of ours are low power warm white or pretty dim lamps.
I hurt my eyes at the beach when I was younger from sun reflections on the water.

Bright lights can eat a bag o' dicks.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm with you. I hate bright lights and all of ours are low power warm white or pretty dim lamps.
I hurt my eyes at the beach when I was younger from sun reflections on the water.

Bright lights can eat a bag o' dicks.
I also hate bright light. I wear sunnies even on a cloudy day.

moorey

call me Mia
Me too, but I attribute this to growing up in the north of England
I think I’m my case it’s probably just conditioning. Started wearing sunnies at a young age, now even the thought of going somewhere without them triggers minor anxiety.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I think I’m my case it’s probably just conditioning. Started wearing sunnies at a young age, now even the thought of going somewhere without them triggers minor anxiety.
Was fine in the UK, then moved to Sydney at age 23 and couldn't go anywhere without

Rorschach

Another few weeks and things are looking a bit better.
I still have days where I don't feel motivated, but luckily I haven't had a really down day for a few weeks - I don't think this is due to anything specific, but more that nothing has set me off. I also feel like I'm 'due one' at some point.
The psych has been working on my feeling of anxiety and frustration when things start to get out of hand, and its working. Stuff like breathing (makes a massive difference!) and little phrases like 'it doesn't matter' have helped. Number one even decided to chuck his dinner all over the place last night while I was holding number two and couldn't do anything only made me swear pretty loudly and get a bit angry - this is a big improvement as previously I'd be fuming for hours after and it would really affect my mood. I'm generally better at letting stuff drop, coupled with some better sleep.
I also managed to get out last Monday evening to go bouldering with some mates - perfect storm of number one going down early (after skipping his nap), number two being amenable and all the nightly shit getting done early too. Felt better for getting out and catching up.
The psych is starting to work with me on my negative perception of myself and self esteem and 'fitting in' issues.
One of the reasons I think I haven't had a down day is I haven't been able to sneak out for a ride (road or mtb) for about 6 weeks now, and so I don't feel like I'm dragging the group down by being slow and that they have to wait for me. I think that used to put me in a shitty mood for a whole saturday, and both me and the wife are feeling better for it. I still can't articulate well how I feel, but I'm getting better at telling the wife that I'm not OK and she's getting better at working out when I'm getting wound up and helping me out..
Currently working on trying to carve some time for me to do things (not easy), and being less critical of myself. I still think I want to explore meds at some point to see if they help while I fix other issues but will see how I go with the Psych

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I must have hyperactive rods then. Not a fan of a sunny day - it's borderline painful - but can see well (very well) at night - even with just a sliver of moonlight (once the eyes have had the requisite adjustment period of course).
Say no more, Mr Riddick ;)
I am all about the sunnies. if they aren't on my face, they are perched on my cap. Polarised, always.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@Rorschach - One thing to remember - if you do have a bad day try not to get hung up on it by itself. Everyone has a bad day now and then (feck knows I do...), so if you do "hit a pothole" don't get hung up on it and drag yourself down over it. The overall trend is what matters, and if you're prone to the black dog it's important to forgive yourself the occasional down day here and there. You're trending the right way mate! ;)

Rorschach

@Rorschach - One thing to remember - if you do have a bad day try not to get hung up on it by itself. Everyone has a bad day now and then (feck knows I do...), so if you do "hit a pothole" don't get hung up on it and drag yourself down over it. The overall trend is what matters, and if you're prone to the black dog it's important to forgive yourself the occasional down day here and there. You're trending the right way mate! ;)
This is going to be the hard thing to fix. Apparently it's a long term issue with my self esteem and perfectionism and desire for control (these sound less narcissistic in a Psychology context) where I hit said pothole and basically think 'fuck it, why do I even bother, not good enough, whats the point' and give up and get down, and thats the hard bit to change given how long I've been doing it, and normalised it. I haven't hit a pothole for a few weeks, so things have been OK. I don't know how I'll go when I do.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This is going to be the hard thing to fix. Apparently it's a long term issue with my self esteem and perfectionism and desire for control (these sound less narcissistic in a Psychology context) where I hit said pothole and basically think 'fuck it, why do I even bother, not good enough, whats the point' and give up and get down, and thats the hard bit to change given how long I've been doing it, and normalised it. I haven't hit a pothole for a few weeks, so things have been OK. I don't know how I'll go when I do.
You will probably beat yourself up for beating yourself up about whatever the pothole was if its anything like my experience. Getting worked up over what are ultimately minor mistakes has been one of my less endearing habits forever... Full blown anxiety attacks that last a couple of days going over the mistake - last one was realising id thrown out a part i didn't think id need and it later turns out i do - which can be replaced cheaply and fairly easily, but still had me going over it again and again trying to somehow undo the mistake. Bloody annoying and utterly pointless for what is a complete non event when viewed later and more rationally!

Im slowly getting better at ignoring myself in these things.... Perfectionism is fine when you're perfect and operating in a perfect world :rolleyes:

Rorschach

You will probably beat yourself up for beating yourself up about whatever the pothole was if its anything like my experience. Getting worked up over what are ultimately minor mistakes has been one of my less endearing habits forever... Full blown anxiety attacks that last a couple of days going over the mistake - last one was realising id thrown out a part i didn't think id need and it later turns out i do - which can be replaced cheaply and fairly easily, but still had me going over it again and again trying to somehow undo the mistake. Bloody annoying and utterly pointless for what is a complete non event when viewed later and more rationally!

Im slowly getting better at ignoring myself in these things.... Perfectionism is fine when you're perfect and operating in a perfect world :rolleyes:
Yeah, thats kinda how I am too, but rather than getting worked up I get morose and grumpy with everyone/thing and don't want to be around anyone. Glad to hear you're working through it, I'm at the bottom of that hill at the mo, just need to find the right gear to grind up so I can keep going

indica

Serial flasher
I still think I want to explore meds at some point to see if they help while I fix other issues but will see how I go with the Psych
Understandable... see meds as a break to help you fix the other. Worked for me when I was op Bupe but that is a story I'm not publishing.

All the best buddy!
Would happily go for a slow ride with you one day

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah, thats kinda how I am too, but rather than getting worked up I get morose and grumpy with everyone/thing and don't want to be around anyone. Glad to hear you're working through it, I'm at the bottom of that hill at the mo, just need to find the right gear to grind up so I can keep going
Granny gear FTW :)