Black Dogs and mental shit in general

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I used to enjoy digging trail solo at night. You guys think the noises are scary when you are riding along...then there was the couple of homeless guys that were camping in the area. The really kept me on edge.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Psychologist said she thought I had a constant depression, low self esteem and a few other things. I did some looking around and came across this, which seems to fit my symptoms.
I’ve spent long enough in academic research to do the looking properly and not self-diagnose, and realise it’s a big thing to put in a box.
Treatment is the same starting point - psychotherapy - which can then be followed by pills if needed. I was against pills but it looks as though they might be a way through it along with some other stuff. If they are, I’ll deal with it it
Honestly, I know you don't feel like it right now but you're all over this. The next part is just going to be some trial and error to figure out what works for you, it will be a long process and you'll likely fall lower than you've ever thought possible so buckle in but don't give up.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wasn’t keen originally as I thought they’d turn me into a zombie, but am willing to give them a go if it is something that is rooted deep. Like you say, they may act as a splint while I sort the rest of my shit out
If you can’t get out of the rut and you find your thoughts ruminating I also recommend taking medication.. Just to give yourself a breather and help work with the psych.. I had short stint on them to get through a traumatic period so I can’t really comment on longer term use on deeper longterm conditions. The meds just work really well at circuit breaking the bad thoughts..

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Bit of a delayed update on my part - was of work for the last 2 weeks elbow deep in dirty nappies and toddler wrangling, and any downtime was used to wind down - basically sitting down at 830 or so to watch an hour of TV or something before going to bed.
Back in the office this week - it's quiet as half of the guys are WFH given Perth is just out of lockdown - but to be honest its nice to get back to it.
I saw my counsellor last week and we focused on my anxiety issues and she gave me some breathing exercises to try out and we spoke about trying to recognise when I'm starting to get wound up. There were a few points in the last week where I've started to get wound up and my wife has had to step in and help out, but they've been few - I think now I'm back to work there will be a few more instances as I have to pick up family stuff as soon as I get out of the car, so I'm anxious about that. I got home yesterday and both kids needed sorting out so I was handed number 2 to deal with a number 2 and outfit change before I'd managed to say hi. I think I need a transition period to switch from work, and for me thats getting changed, or having a shower or something. I'll see how it goes, but I'm pretty nervous.
I'm feeling pretty tired as well, and my wife is the same and so far we've been good at recognising when she's getting tetchy and vice versa but again I'm nervous we'll get arsey with each other at some point soon and it's not going to help my mood.
I didn't have an appointment this week as it was a public holiday, but last week I also spoke to the counsellor and doctor (I had to get some bloods done) about it and they're going to hold off until I've done the counselling sessions before making a call but have also said that a low dose of something might be of benefit. I've got a month or so before I get there so a bit to go.
Trying to take it a day at a time at the minute so will see how I get on.

Rorschach

I remember the early years being like that, nappies, demands, cleaning, cooking etc. And when they're that young the positives are few and far between.

Everyone has a different experience and so well done on seeing what's causing you tension and stress, and then finding coping strategies.
Its been pretty full on so far, not helped by a 3-day lockdown over here.
At least my wife is aware of whats going on and is trying to help. I'm also trying to be more open about whats going through my head, but thats not easy either given I've already got trouble articulating my thoughts and feelings already

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Its interesting how different people reacted to lockdowns. For me it was the best thing ever - legitimate reason to not have to deal with people in person, bloody awesome!

Not that my tendency to live inside my own head is always a good thing (or particularly good for relationships with significant others...), but i do love a good lockdown :)

moorey

call me Mia
Its interesting how different people reacted to lockdowns. For me it was the best thing ever - legitimate reason to not have to deal with people in person, bloody awesome!

Not that my tendency to live inside my own head is always a good thing (or particularly good for relationships with significant others...), but i do love a good lockdown :)
Aside from races being canceled, was also the best time ever for me....but is a golden time with kids old enough to do school work remotely and living in the bush where we could do our own thing.
100% acknowledge how much of a struggle it could have been in different circumstances.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Aside from races being canceled, was also the best time ever for me....but is a golden time with kids old enough to do school work remotely and living in the bush where we could do our own thing.
100% acknowledge how much of a struggle it could have been in different circumstances.
A lot of positives came out of it. More time with the kid, tighter family unit, was able to take to time to step back and have a bit of a good look at our lives and re asses. But for me personally I had major issues during the lockdowns here in Melbourne. In ways I can’t even describe. And things aren’t entirely back to normal yet so there are still residual anxieties and stresses I’m still working through.
@Rorschach I’m totally stoked for you that you have the self awareness to work through this and that you are. Equally as awesome your misses seems to understand and has your back. Not saying it won’t get totally frustrating for her and she might be utterly over you at times but she sounds like a goodun.
keep up the good work and you’ll come out the other side.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Lockdowns with a toddler are a pain as we only have a small garden, he wants to go out to the park and we're trying not to just entertain him with the TV. Luckily, it was only 3 days but a couple of days longer like we had back in February would be tough, particularly with the newborn

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Indeed. That with a job that was easy to do remotely, and flexible enough to accommodate kids. Definitely a fortunate position.
Now, if your employer would be keen to let you work more remotely then you will never leave.

Fitting in some bike riding is one of my own employment criteria which I also have to add doesn't always go to plan. They have kept me pretty busy over the past few weeks :| Nooooooo........ Oh well........ it is nice to be wanted.

moorey

call me Mia
Now, if your employer would be keen to let you work more remotely then you will never leave.

Fitting in some bike riding is one of my own employment criteria which I also have to add doesn't always go to plan. They have kept me pretty busy over the past few weeks :| Nooooooo........ Oh well........ it is nice to be wanted.
I still WFH 3 days a week by choice. We will soon be ‘encouraged’ to return full time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well done on the progress @Rorschach.

Nobody is forcing you to not lockdown...

Ive been allowed to make a formal ongoing 2 days a week at home which is nice. Happy dogs too, Kirsty does 2 or 3 alternating days at home.
I don't think anyone would blame her for alternating her days around you.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Rods and Cones...

Cones for color and bright light, Rods for low light...

You might have ineffective Rods.

I know Sue has. Her eyes are way better than mine, but in low light she is toast.
I must have hyperactive rods then. Not a fan of a sunny day - it's borderline painful - but can see well (very well) at night - even with just a sliver of moonlight (once the eyes have had the requisite adjustment period of course).