Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Dad just ordered a Polestar 2. Arrives in July. Was keen on the Model 3 but got absolutely nowhere with the local sales team (in SA) despite repeated enquiries.

Polestar looks pretty good though, seems to get some solid reviews. Anyone driven one?
Local sales team…? You just order it online…

Polestar is ok, but not comparable to a Model 3. It’s a significantly cheaper design. Strut suspension, ICE platform derived chassis setup. Generally a cheaper car but unfortunately Model 3 money. If it was 20 grand cheaper than a 3 it would be good.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Why didn't Mike Cannon Brooks buy Holden and make the Atlassian of Electric vehicles?
As someone whose employer is heavily invested in Atlassian software I'm not sure that'd be a good thing. The Jira of cars makes me shudder. I like Bitbucket Server (née Stash) but that was an acquisition.

Haakon

Yeah you know those things like test drives and shit like that people generally do before they buy a car?
No Tesla shop in Adelaide? You can rent one from Hertz in Adelaide - probably a better option to spend a day with it instead of 20 minutes.

I dunno. Watch the Munro Live videos on the mechanical aspects of the Polestar 2 and its a vastly inferior product. Its not a bad product, just not in the same league as a Tesla.

Haakon

As someone whose employer is heavily invested in Atlassian software I'm not sure that'd be a good thing. The Jira of cars makes me shudder. I like Bitbucket Server (née Stash) but that was an acquisition.
We tried Jira once. Once was enough...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I don't totally disagree having had a recent battle hooking Confluence up to a search system. But my own team uses Confluence, JIRA(s) and Bitbucket pretty effectively and our very small teams manage it all really well. It does what it says on the sticker, I know it's far from simple under the hood.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah you know those things like test drives and shit like that people generally do before they buy a car?
It is very different to a regular dealership. I can certainly see why it would turn some people off. I much prefer the look of the Polestar. Like for like it's a fair bit more expensive though.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I don't totally disagree having had a recent battle hooking Confluence up to a search system. But my own team uses Confluence, JIRA(s) and Bitbucket pretty effectively and our very small teams manage it all really well. It does what it says on the sticker, I know it's far from simple under the hood.
No idea what are talking about .
Talk to someone who has an EV thats a good reference.
Teslas are good cars but appeal to a certain demographic computer lover possibly you.
Me being the opposite didnt like the low slung, no spare tyre /flat tyre system or totally flat screen / internet connected thing.
The fast battery charger cooling is good though and they are very aerodynamic and attractive IMO.

Haakon

Heh. Back when no one knew what Teslas were the founder of Internode in SA imported two, including one of the very early roadsters. Think he got one of the very first Model S's too.
Good investment, those roadsters are worth a whole lot now!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
No idea what are talking about .
Talk to someone who has an EV thats a good reference.
Teslas are good cars but appeal to a certain demographic computer lover possibly you.
Me being the opposite didnt like the low slung, no spare tyre /flat tyre system or totally flat screen / internet connected thing.
The fast battery charger cooling is good though and they are very aerodynamic and attractive IMO.
You're so old, dude ;)

I watched some of the Munro Live videos, he talks about the traditional auto makers doing transition cars right now, and eventually they will all have a layout like a Tesla. The Polestar has a completely ridiculous layout in the center console, so much waste, the Tardis of a center console in the Tesla was a great feature we liked.

As @Haakon mentions Polestar doesn't seem like great value, but I seem to recall Volvo was always overpriced.

I got a little hooked on the Munro videos, a Tesla fan boi with a solid reason to be a fan boi.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
More akin to the early iPhone cultists IMO, but yes. It's just another car.
Cult car is an old term of endearment for special models that gained a following. Tesla has upped it to cult car company, that's all they make.

Actofive has the same effect on RB, except nobody has actually ridden one to know for sure.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yeah they'll get there eventually, at least 6 years apparently. Bit further ahead of the curve than iPhone, in an industry that moves nowhere near as fast as electronic devices.

I've seen some of the EV teardowns on Munro Live and yes, Tesla are way behind in a lot of areas and they have just about caught up with paint and fit and finish, which they were lacking the last few years.
Their engineers think outside the box and aren't constrained to "traditional" car manufacturing methods. Their body structures are using large castings which no other manufacturer is doing, they integrate many systems and an components so they do multiple functions and are way ahead with the electronic side of things with the interface and self-driving technology. Even the Korean car makers, who build some of the best made conventional cars these days, are still building their EVs like a petrol car that has been converted to an electric powertrain.
Tesla won't be sitting still for 6 years either so it may be a while before the others catch up.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
we all know there's hotness for the EV SUV/SEDAN market buuttt,,,, what about medium/large vans? I've done a bit of scanning and there doesn't appear to be much in this market.

If there's a good enough ev van im thinking it could be a good thing to convert it into a basic no frills camper that i could fit a bike in otherwise imma just have to grab a standard van for that.

Haakon

I adjusted the bonnet rubber stopper on the showroom display model 3 the other day, that got the bonnet mostly lined up :) Sales peeps looked at me as if I was a bit mad, but come on guys, details matter! It was literally the first thing people saw when they walk in the shop…

But overall the fit and finish seemed more than fine. Much better paint job than the Alfa, although that’s perhaps not the highest bar…