Jewellers Chainsaw…

clockworked

Like an orange
Depends. I cut large logs for hours on end. We are a lifetime away from e-chainsaws being much more than a hobby saw. My mate has a high end one. Would be lucky to do 20 minutes of cutting on big logs....not that they make anything bigger than 18” AFAIK.

Brilliant for lighter and discrete work though
I've got a 54v dewalt 18" bar. It'll go for 45 mins through anything. Thats about as much sawing as i usually want to do. If you want more instantly you could buy another battery, but i usually just take a break and bang it on the fast charger

safreek

Depends. I cut large logs for hours on end. We are a lifetime away from e-chainsaws being much more than a hobby saw. My mate has a high end one. Would be lucky to do 20 minutes of cutting on big logs....not that they make anything bigger than 18” AFAIK.

Brilliant for lighter and discrete work though
Ha, you must of fucked up. We actually agree on something :eek:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
It was only after a few lockdown trips to Bunnings for gardening equipment and a lucky Catch of The Day bargain that I realised that if COVID mutates any further and we’re left in a zombie apocalypse situation, I should be alright!

View attachment 376234

View attachment 376235
Nothing like a fiskars for splitting went from belting logs with the old 8lb juggernaught to gently pursuading logs to fall apart with the lightweight x27 - oh my what a difference!

What weight is the bow? I'd imagine you'd need some force to get through zombie skull. The recurve/longbow sure will fire off more arrows in the same time, but won't be as accurate or as powerful as a compound. What sort of zombie numbers are we thinking, and how close are they going to get?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Nothing like a fiskars for splitting went from belting logs with the old 8lb juggernaught to gently pursuading logs to fall apart with the lightweight x27 - oh my what a difference!

What weight is the bow? I'd imagine you'd need some force to get through zombie skull. The recurve/longbow sure will fire off more arrows in the same time, but won't be as accurate or as powerful as a compound. What sort of zombie numbers are we thinking, and how close are they going to get?

Since Zombis feed off brains I reckon Canberra is a safe bet.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

I don't know the weight, all the instructions were in Mandarin! Still, at $150 for the whole kit (bow, arrows, quiver, string, sights, wax etc) I s'pose you get what you pay for!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I've got a 54v dewalt 18" bar. It'll go for 45 mins through anything. Thats about as much sawing as i usually want to do. If you want more instantly you could buy another battery, but i usually just take a break and bang it on the fast charger
I reckon if and when my two petrol saws cark it, I’ll go for something similar. By then, they will have improved even more.

I have access to a 20” Stihl for anything really serious but have only ever used it once.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I have two old Sthil saws, one was my old mans that he bought second hand when he started out on the dairy farm and one from my grandfather. Both still start easily and run very strong. One of em still runs the original points ignition which, given my fondness of both engines and vintage mechanical stuff, is right up my ally.

I think battery power still has a long way to go to get to the kind of life that a quality petrol powered tool can provide, I mean the points 031 I've got has to be approaching 50 years old and is still runs great and is perfectly serviceable. Only thing that will kill it is lack of servicing or when parts eventually becoming impossible to find.

The battery powered stuff is, from what I understand, non-repairable. The motor rpm is to the moon on the modern brushless stuff so there are a lot of bearings, bushes, and planetary gears that will wear out. Just don't seem to be in the same league when it comes to longevity from my point of view.

And there's an awful lot of situations where cutting larger timber is just too far away from a 240 outlet for the coffee and quick charge to be suitable.
For scooting up a ladder and doing some pruning in an urban setting, absolutely, battery power has some strong arguments there.

moorey

call me Mia
Townie. Wood is my only heating source. It’s not just ambiance. I’d need 10 batteries and there’s still no way it’s got the cutting power of a magnum Stihl.
They serve a purpose...not mine though.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
And there's an awful lot of situations where cutting larger timber is just too far away from a 240 outlet for the coffee and quick charge to be suitable.
For scooting up a ladder and doing some pruning in an urban setting, absolutely, battery power has some strong arguments there.
Electric vehicles now coming with 100kWh of batteries and a big fat inverter supplying massive amounts of charging power, battery powered tools are the future.

Loggers, farmers and general remote jobs will still be petrol for a long time but for many of us backyard hacks with multiple batteries, chargers and jobs that are occasional cuts to a semi decent job, the reliability of clipping in a battery and pressing the trigger is a no brainer.

There's no doubt that petrol and mains electric powered tools have more grunt but they will get there, its only a very few jobs where you need that extra grunt.

Couple of good vids, the new F150 lightning (starts at the right place 1:15)

Milwaukee vs 49cc Stihl, the petrol still wins, but not by much.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Electric vehicles now coming with 100kWh of batteries and a big fat inverter supplying massive amounts of charging power, battery powered tools are the future.

Loggers, farmers and general remote jobs will still be petrol for a long time but for many of us backyard hacks with multiple batteries, chargers and jobs that are occasional cuts to a semi decent job, the reliability of clipping in a battery and pressing the trigger is a no brainer.

There's no doubt that petrol and mains electric powered tools have more grunt but they will get there, its only a very few jobs where you need that extra grunt.

Couple of good vids, the new F150 lightning (starts at the right place 1:15)

Milwaukee vs 49cc Stihl, the petrol still wins, but not by much.

Nice steel cap crocs for PPE

clockworked

Like an orange
Townie. Wood is my only heating source. It’s not just ambiance. I’d need 10 batteries and there’s still no way it’s got the cutting power of a magnum Stihl.
They serve a purpose...not mine though.
Get a heatpump, ya environmental rapist. Those small capacity engines are the largest CO2 emitters per litre burned.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Arborists really like the electric ones, easier to start when youre dangling from a rope 100 feet up a tree...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Those small capacity engines are the largest CO2 emitters per litre burned.
Actually, they're the lowest CO2 per litre consumed - fuel burned = CO2 emissions in a pretty reliable ratio. It doesn't matter what you burn it in really.

Two stroke small engines tend to spit a fair bit of fuel out the end unburned, so hence CO2 wise theyre "good" ;)

Theyre bloody awful for HC, NOx, and other stuff though...