Jewellers Chainsaw…

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I spent most of today attached to a new battery chainsaw which I had bought on special to take camping to feed my flatpack fire-pit.

But, we had a rotting tree leaning over the neighbours fence, which I’d baulked at cutting down as it involved ladders, ropes and petrol chainsaws. Not good, plus I’m fricken old, so ladders are bad.

Anyway, having a tiny battery saw, which only goes when you pull the trigger, allowed me to take my time, one step at a time and get the job done, with much lower risk.

I used a petrol saw to cut it all up and do the butt of the tree, when it was down.

indica

Serial flasher
I have a ryobi and really like it. The bigger tree I got old mate to rope up to his cruiser and murder with the petrol one but the little battery powered one is great for me.

Minlak

custom titis
I have the AEG with a 12” bar 18v version as it used same battery as all the tools I have as well. They are a powerhouse the 6amp hour battery sees about 6hrs on the trail maintenance - huge amount of torque - as long as you know the principles of cutting bigger trees it will cut anything up.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
My main source of heating is wood, so I have a Husky 455 Rancher to do the bulk of the work, but I also have a Ryobi pole pruning saw and have been eyeing off the Ryobi electric chainsaw at Bunnings for cutting up small branches and logs. After a day of work with the Husky the fumes certainly get to you.

Minlak

custom titis
My main source of heating is wood, so I have a Husky 455 Rancher to do the bulk of the work, but I also have a Ryobi pole pruning saw and have been eyeing off the Ryobi electric chainsaw at Bunnings for cutting up small branches and logs. After a day of work with the Husky the fumes certainly get to you.
The only reason I took the AEG is cause I had the batteries for it - The Ryobi is awesome saw as well - just spend the extra money and get the brushless version.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I spent most of today attached to a new battery chainsaw which I had bought on special to take camping to feed my flatpack fire-pit.

Nice ! I have been teasing myself for a while with the Milwaukee M18 chainsaw, only issue is I will need bigger batteries as I have 3ah & 5ah. They recommend the High Output 12ah which is another $250. Its a pretty big chainsaw too, I have no real need for one that size as I have a large 24" petrol saw for that rare occasion.

I did email Milwaukee USA about a tool they have released in their 12v range called the 'Hatchet', so far they have no intentions in releasing it in M18. I have 11 x Milwaukee M18 skins so have no notion of going to another brand or voltage when all my battery tools are the same.

Its the ideal size for what I want versus the full sized chainsaw... just need them to release it in 18v and its a done deal.

moorey

call me Mia
Not long until petrol motors for tools like this will be obsolete. I’ve used some shockingly powerful elec saws, and it’s much easier to charge batteries than drive to the servo to fill tins.
Depends. I cut large logs for hours on end. We are a lifetime away from e-chainsaws being much more than a hobby saw. My mate has a high end one. Would be lucky to do 20 minutes of cutting on big logs....not that they make anything bigger than 18” AFAIK.

Brilliant for lighter and discrete work though

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
It was really good to be able to climb the ladder with an inert object in my hand... one that required a button press and a trigger squeeze, at the same time... to magically come to life. No premix, no priming bulb, no choke, no getting it going, no idling engine while climbing a ladder, no switching it off. None of that. Just it is off... and it is on. Great.

It all started with the recent Aldi special that I missed out on... which then followed with much research, because I'm sick of taking bagged up firewood from home, when we are camping.

Brand-wise, I'm pretty sure all the majors will do the job.

Me, with various battery tools by Ryobi, Makita, Bosch and Black&Decker acquired over the years, I don't have a battery standard... no chance, so for me, the one I bought, had a shjtload of very good reviews, it felt quite substantial in my hand, and they matched the price of the opposition.

Who knows... I just need it to be able to cut up smallish 100mm max diameter dead wood when we are away. I think it will be fine.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dont cut down standing trees you fuckwit...
I don't cut down any trees. Just curious if one can operate these devices in a sensitive area for ummm...removal of fallen limbs and such after a storm, rather than doing the work by hand.