You laugh you lose

Flow-Rider

Burner
Around here a lot of the old dunny lanes were sold to the houses that backed onto them. I looked at a house a while back where the previous owners had never done so and the agent was sure you could still purchase the land. I was of the opinion that the land could probably be borrowed without any issues until next sale and a survey. But I had a sense that the tenant was going to be an issue. 3 bedroom house with no garage and a single middle aged man living in it so passed. 1 bedroom contained a dismantled motor cycle plus workbench and the other room random junk. I really should have ignored my premonitions.
I've heard of stories where they've been left like an easement, and there have been huge issues between neighbours about parking cars and motorbikes on the laneway that blocks other neighbours' rear entrances.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am still old enough to remember the external thunder boxes, not many homes had them left but there were still a few around when I was a kid. I can remember the poor pricks that used to collect the pans full of poop that had poop all over their backs from the spills. :eek:

View attachment 400420
Lived for many years in a house with one of these outside toilets. The smell in summer was so bad. The guy who picked up the pan had a leather top that went over his top half so any spills didn't get on his clothes. Picking up pans, what a truly f'ed job.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Lived for many years in a house with one of these outside toilets. The smell in summer was so bad. The guy who picked up the pan had a leather top that went over his top half so any spills didn't get on his clothes. Picking up pans, what a truly f'ed job.
The ones I recall using in Brisbane had saw dust piles beside the pan that you placed over your business, but I do recall the smell in summer. o_O

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
How fucken old are you blokes?! My grandma talked about changing from the night soil man to a plumbed toilet...

Can you guys still ride bikes?!
Country queensland town, we went from shit in a bucket to sewerage in the late 70s... So old and sometimes. I get lost easy.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How fucken old are you blokes?! My grandma talked about changing from the night soil man to a plumbed toilet...

This is the 70’s in Sydney ( shitney haha) maybe 15 mins from city ……..
if you ask the people I work with , its “ omg , you are like sooo old “
Although one ( much younger girl ) keeps telling me “ I roolly roolly like older guys “

And no, not happening , I’m old not stoopid

Flow-Rider

Burner
Our neighbour had one till the mid 80s, my grandparents had one up until the 90s even though they had a flush dunny in the house. Most of them ended up becoming some type of storage shed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I was thinking something similar...I grew up in a hill Billy town, where everyone I knew had flashing toilets. Even the kids from farms! Of course some of those parents insisted that number 1 jobs were for the garden to reduce the strain on the water tank.

This is the 70’s in Sydney ( shitney haha) maybe 15 mins from city ……..
if you ask the people I work with , its “ omg , you are like sooo old “
Although one ( much younger girl ) keeps telling me “ I roolly roolly like older guys “

And no, not happening , I’m old not stoopid

Yeah that's a nightmare waiting to happen. Without a fail she wants to play night soil games and live stream it to only fans.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
44deg you say?
I didn't, the meme maker did. Admittedly, It was a cool story, so I was prepared to give them the B.O.D., even though ThEiR oWn ReSeArCh suggested otherwise, But yes, it was a little ambitious of them to claim 44deg, as you rightly point out. Their own 'measurement' suggests somewhere between 32-34ish deg.
TBH, I have rejected some memes based on spelling errors. I must have run out of fucks to give. Again.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Our neighbour had one till the mid 80s, my grandparents had one up until the 90s even though they had a flush dunny in the house. Most of them ended up becoming some type of storage shed.
I started life near Emerald in the Dandenongs back in the 70's until we left for warmer climes in '79. My parents were the original tree-changers and the old man built a 2 bedroom shack on 5 acres, with a slow combustion stove to heat water for washing, bathing etc. Needless to say, the shitter was a long drop about 50m down the hill from the house and it used to scare the bejesus out of us kids to have to use it at night. My sister and I would stick close together with the torch and wait for the other while they did their business. I still have a visual etched in my memory of my sister shining the torch into the darkness of the pit, revealing enormous rats running around on the pile of excrement...

After we sold the property the new owners either put in a septic tank or a sewer connection and the dunny became redundant. So they decided to blow it up. Apparently what was meant to be a stream of petrol from the pit to somewhere safe being lit followed by a little puff of methane igniting became more akin to that fertiliser explosion in Beirut in 2020. Nothing but splintered wood everywhere. Poor rats.