Which tyres do you prefer and why

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there a rear tyre that fits between the Agressor and the DHR?
I run the Agressor most of the time as it rolls well and generally gives good grip, and the DHR when it's been very wet or I feel I need more grip on steeper runs.
Just wondering whether there's anything the rolls similar to the Agressor with better grip that I'm not aware of, or is it more the case that anything else would be too similar to one or the other?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I run the Agressor most of the time as it rolls well and generally gives good grip, and the DHR when it's been very wet or I feel I need more grip on steeper runs.
Just wondering whether there's anything the rolls similar to the Agressor with better grip that I'm not aware of, or is it more the case that anything else would be too similar to one or the other?
Maxxis Dissector?

Otherwise maybe a WTB Trail Boss? Only has about 0.005% more braking grip than a Aggressor, but a bit more cornering feel/grip (IMO).

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I honestly think some people are being a bit precious about tyres IMO there are 3 types
1. Full on mud with wide spaced blocks eg Maxxis Shorty
2. Chunky which is what most people have eg Aggressor , Nobby Nic etc
3. Rolling summer tyres Racing ralph etc
NE Vic usually goes from firm red clay to shallow mud in winter to firm clay with a shallow dust layer or in granitic stuff a skatey layer of sand in a drought.
The track surface and tyre pressure are much more important factors.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Maxxis Dissector?

Otherwise maybe a WTB Trail Boss? Only has about 0.005% more braking grip than a Aggressor, but a bit more cornering feel/grip (IMO).
I'm liking my Trail Boss (and Vigilante front) but I suspect that's more to do with having a stronger tyre out back and a softer tyre up front.

I reckon I'll go to a DHR II MaxxTerra DD (R) / Assegai MaxxGrip Exo+ (F) when the time comes.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
+1 on a Dissector. Definitely faster rolling than a DHR but pretty acceptable wet weather performance - even rode one on the steeper soggier stuff at Macedon and didn't die.
Yep. Definitely clogs up a bit in sticky wet stuff but anything short of a Shorty will. I haven't used an Aggressor in years but recall them being a really square profile and pretty draggy despite their appearance. Dissector is way better. Other option is a 2.3 DHF which makes an excellent rear tyre.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Yep. Definitely clogs up a bit in sticky wet stuff but anything short of a Shorty will. I haven't used an Aggressor in years but recall them being a really square profile and pretty draggy despite their appearance. Dissector is way better. Other option is a 2.3 DHF which makes an excellent rear tyre.
Aggressor is a solid option out west for the slippery pea gravel. Seems most people seem to run either an Aggressor or Dissector on the back paired with an Assegai or DHF.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
What compound are you using? And what sort of soil/terrain?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
WA’s pea gravel can be like ball bearings in some places and depending on how hard/dry the ground underneath is.
I’ve found DHF front and Dissector rear to be good, have a Maxxis Griffin on the rear of my HT and that’s good too. One ride with an Assegai on the front and I didn’t like, had the front wash out a few times in deep loose gravel where the DHF wouldn’t do that or at least not as badly.
That’s all I’ve used since getting back into MTB a couple of years ago.

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
Agree with Rowdyflat + the classic over fork / over tyres rider.
In case of the tyres, I see a lot of trail riders with big , heavy tyres, almost enduro rubber for normal trail duties.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
In case of the tyres, I see a lot of trail riders with big , heavy tyres, almost enduro rubber for normal trail duties.
One bike to do everything warrants that... A modern short travel bike is so capable that with a set of enduro tyres you can point it down anything, and unless you're racing XC the minimal sacrifice in rolling resistance is negligible if your legs aren't painted on.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What compound are you using? And what sort of soil/terrain?
Agressor is exo TR
DHR2 is 3C Max Terra EXO
out front the Assegai is 3C Max grip EXO+

Terrain is:
Rocky grit - You Yangs
Sandy grit - Red Hill
Dirt/Mud - Lysterfield/Wombat
Watever Harcourt will be when it opens again (mix of Youies/dirt?)

I run the Agressor probably 70% of the time but I'm very much "set and forget" with tyres overall and am too tight to spend lots of $$ experimenting. So if there's something more suitable it would be good to give it a try when these ones wear out

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was using a Dissector rear and having a horror time on greasy clay (Silvan, CH 10)
Changed to a DHR II hoping it would halt the death slide a little, turns out nothing grips in those conditions.

Happy to pass on the Dissector for postage if you want a try?

If it's not winter on wet and hard clay, I find the Dissector quite good

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
What size wheels? I have spare 27.5 Zeppelins you could try for the cost of postage if they fit?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I honestly think some people are being a bit precious about tyres IMO there are 3 types
1. Full on mud with wide spaced blocks eg Maxxis Shorty
2. Chunky which is what most people have eg Aggressor , Nobby Nic etc
3. Rolling summer tyres Racing ralph etc
NE Vic usually goes from firm red clay to shallow mud in winter to firm clay with a shallow dust layer or in granitic stuff a skatey layer of sand in a drought.
The track surface and tyre pressure are much more important factors.
Agree for the large part. Fuck it, I still use Ardents on the rear of my bike. Whilst I enjoy geeking out and fantasising about finding a part I can buy that will magically make me a half decent rider, the truth is that it's likely more about the rider, then the trail, then the tyre and then the pressure...., in my uninformed opinion.

Good chance that I'll put another high roller on the rear one day too. I genuinely don't think that my riding skill/level is at the point where the tyres are going to make all the difference in how fast I corner/roll.

I think part of that is the amount of new riders (particularly the kind that drive Ford Raptors). I've known a few cashed up trady-esque types who've gone out and bought the biggest, toughest looking kit and then regretted it due to the weight cost.

One bike to do everything warrants that... A modern short travel bike is so capable that with a set of enduro tyres you can point it down anything, and unless you're racing XC the minimal sacrifice in rolling resistance is negligible if your legs aren't painted on.
This is partially me. I'm on a 140mm rear travel trail bike with 2.6 (or is it 2.5? I can't remember) on the front and 2.4 on the rear. I don't really need that much tyre for my average riding, but this bike is even more brutal than my first ever DH bike and I'd happily take this thing down some of the milder DH runs, which benefit from bigger balloons like the ones I have.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agree for the large part. Fuck it, I still use Ardents on the rear of my bike. Whilst I enjoy geeking out and fantasising about finding a part I can buy that will magically make me a half decent rider, the truth is that it's likely more about the rider, then the trail, then the tyre and then the pressure...., in my uninformed opinion.

Good chance that I'll put another high roller on the rear one day too. I genuinely don't think that my riding skill/level is at the point where the tyres are going to make all the difference in how fast I corner/roll.

I think part of that is the amount of new riders (particularly the kind that drive Ford Raptors). I've known a few cashed up trady-esque types who've gone out and bought the biggest, toughest looking kit and then regretted it due to the weight cost.

This is partially me. I'm on a 140mm rear travel trail bike with 2.6 (or is it 2.5? I can't remember) on the front and 2.4 on the rear. I don't really need that much tyre for my average riding, but this bike is even more brutal than my first ever DH bike and I'd happily take this thing down some of the milder DH runs, which benefit from bigger balloons like the ones I have.
Appreciate what you are saying but getting rid of the Ardent will actually make you a better rider

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I ditched my DHR II (F+R) for Bontrager XR4 (F+R) and I immediately regretted it once I started going a bit faster and hitting harder trails. Not least because they're about as strong as EXO but also because they just don't corner that well (esp. on the front).

Getting a grippier front tyre has allowed me to improve knowing the tyres won't give way. I thought I cared about the extra weight but it turns out that I can just get stronger (no kettlebells were involved...)!