Which tyres do you prefer and why

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
A slight wobble is standard on Maxxis, you will know the real Maxxis wobble when it happens :D
Oh I’ve had tyres previously that were completely unusable due to the wobble. Pretty sure that I even warrantied one like 15 years back.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Vigilante is a great front tyre
Having now had 2 rides on the Vigilante, definitely a fan. The conditions have been pretty mint at the You Yangs, so grip hasn't been an issue. The judge it replaced was excellent, but so bloody heavy.

Hopefully the vigilante is still great in the You Yangs anti-grip of summer.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Having now had 2 rides on the Vigilante, definitely a fan. The conditions have been pretty mint at the You Yangs, so grip hasn't been an issue. The judge it replaced was excellent, but so bloody heavy.

Ive never used the judge as a front ,so cant comment on it in that use , Ive always thought of it as an Enduro Rear , interesting though ,

The Verdict is an even grippier front tyre than the Vigilante if you are looking for a bit more

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Firmly agree on both points !

I do not like Assegai's and have no confidence in them when cornering.

General ? Spend $70 on a tyre just for it to blow out of shape, wobble or bunion.

Maxxis are overated tyres, plenty of other great tyres out there that are streaks ahead IMO.

I have went back to Maxxis numerous times, the divorce is final this time :)
So now that the divorce has come through, what are your go-tos for sexy rubber rolling inflatable companions?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So now that the divorce has come through, what are your go-tos for sexy rubber rolling inflatable companions?
Vittorias on all bikes now. I did pick up some €11 Schwalbes for my adventure bike and they are bloody awesome, especially for the price.

Vittoria uses 4 different rubber compounds with graphene 2.0. Been using them as XC tyres for quite a few years, now got Mazzas on the Deviate and Syerras on the Spur. A mix of Barzos and Mezcals for XC.

Will also go Mezcals either end on my adventure bike for the next big trip... in the meantime, happy using these hurricanes for gravel and local scuffing around.

Last edited:

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Ive never used the judge as a front ,so cant comment on it in that use , Ive always thought of it as an Enduro Rear , interesting though ,

The Verdict is an even grippier front tyre than the Vigilante if you are looking for a bit more
I tried the judge as a front because I was running a DHR2 on the front and it was good and the judge is a burlier version of the minion. I just wish it was a few hundred grams lighter that the 1400g that it is haha

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Will also go Mezcals either end on my adventure bike for the next big trip... in the meantime, happy using these hurricanes for gravel and local scuffing around.
Any puncture issues with the Mezcal? I had about 3 in the tread over 500km (plugged) but eventually couldn't be used tubeless anymore. A shame because those things have incredible wear for the grip on offer, thing looked immaculate when I took it off.

I have to give a shout out to the Hutchinson Kraken and Skeleton which you can get from ride sports for $50 and $30 respectively at the moment. I'm not sure they are are quite as fast / good as the Mezcal but they are tough for the weight. Cheap as.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Any puncture issues with the Mezcal? I had about 3 in the tread over 500km (plugged) but eventually couldn't be used tubeless anymore. A shame because those things have incredible wear for the grip on offer, thing looked immaculate when I took it off.

I have to give a shout out to the Hutchinson Kraken and Skeleton which you can get from ride sports for $50 and $30 respectively at the moment. I'm not sure they are are quite as fast / good as the Mezcal but they are tough for the weight. Cheap as.
I only use them as a rear XC tyre for smooth dry races. No issues yet but not a lot of use either.

PDub

Likes Bikes

@slimjim1
Re Ride Sports: Have you bought from them recently? I've been tempted by their Hutchinson tyres but was put off by the many stories of them failing to deliver.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Litenbror

Eats Squid
@slimjim1
Re Ride Sports: Have you bought from them recently? I've been tempted by their Hutchinson tyres but was put off by the many stories of them failing to deliver.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I've pinch flatted two Krakens in the last few months but the Griffus is going strong. Bought the Krakens a few months ago ago with a few other bits and pieces and no problems with delivery. No contact at all till they showed up but they did show up.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I run the kraken on the hardtail so mainly use it for XC but it feels super tough for the relatively low weight.
Have bought various Hutchinson tyres from ride sports 3 times , same experience as litenbror, no shipping notification just shows up . Note that they do not have any 29 x 2.5 griffus left despite their website still possibly showing in stock .

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Ive got Schwalbe manic mary on the front and maxis dissector on the rear.. does this sound like a reasonable combination?
I can't speak for MM, but I'm loving the Dissectors on my bike right now. I've got them on front and rear wheels, mainly because I'm lazy and they are what came on the bike, but they work for me so I'm not changing them for the sake of change.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I can't speak for MM, but I'm loving the Dissectors on my bike right now. I've got them on front and rear wheels, mainly because I'm lazy and they are what came on the bike, but they work for me so I'm not changing them for the sake of change.
Im sure it helps being 4'6" and weigh 38kgs with pedals!....sticks like chewy to a blanket

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
so after months and months of wet sloppy trails, we finally have had a great run of light winds and sunny days, great weather to dry out the trails..
went for a good blast on Bender at Glenrock yesterday and on the second lap had the front wash out in the dust badly, recovered just before it sent me into the gigantic muddy puddle that most have decided to ride around..tire is DHF 2.8
maybe running incorrect tire pressure. have read that they can be quite squirrely if too high.

Jabubu

let you google that for me

I've just inherited a nearly new WTB Vigilante 2.5 (Light / High Grip) and Trail Boss 2.4 (Tough / Fast Rolling) for helping someone out with their bike. I'm very tempted to try these out!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I've found it to be a great combo for the You Yangs, very much a fan.

Once the trail boss wears out a bit more I'm planning on trying the WTB RANGER 2.4 on the rear, it is WTB's "light trail" /xc tyre. I reckon it might have just the right amount of drift/grip for a back tyre