What new hobbies/activities have you taken up during lockdown?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I rebuilt an old RC helicopter I crashed about 8 years ago. Similar hobby trajectory as bikes. Spent many thousands, building, crashing, upgrading. My last one had a rotor span of 1500. Big. This one one I crashed was the last I had. I’ve spent hours on the net trawling for parts no longer available. But got it together. Had one terrifying hover in the back yard so far but need a proper RC club airfield to let it loose. This ones 550mm carbon blades and run about 2500-3000 rpm.
yep. I’m a nerd.
View attachment 378649
How's the pilot supposed to see out of it? Looks like a recipe for disaster if you ask me...

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Great thread!

I find that working from home and homeschooling my kids means I have way less time than ever but an increased need to focus on something just for me (without noise).

During lockdown 2 in Melbourne I decided to do some model car building and enjoyed it. Here are a few shots of completed projects. Not even remotely pro but I'm also not investing anything in it and therefore just using dodgy brushes etc.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I bought a guitar and signed up for fender play. Has been slow going but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do and figured it was the perfect time to start.
I did this a few years ago pre-kids. Lasted 3 weeks.
Really should sell it.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I bought a guitar and signed up for fender play. Has been slow going but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do and figured it was the perfect time to start.
Yeah great hobby. I started as an adult years ago self taught, and it's been a good side gig to keep me occupied. Hitting a plateau now though so probably need lessons or something.

Me I bought a rower.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
kids birthday was in the first week of lockdown and we got him a guitar. 9 years old and a lefty makes learning on line even harder for him, but cant see face to face lessons starting in the near future.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Noice. What's the go with the penguin?
The model is a Gretsch penguin, I kind of like it.

I did this a few years ago pre-kids. Lasted 3 weeks.
Really should sell it.
I'm about 6 months in and had to push myself to keep going as I found it really hard.

Yeah great hobby. I started as an adult years ago self taught, and it's been a good side gig to keep me occupied. Hitting a plateau now though so probably need lessons or something.

Me I bought a rower.
That's awesome, I don't think I will ever make it to be able to plays gigs but I'm enjoying annoying the gf atm.

kids birthday was in the first week of lockdown and we got him a guitar. 9 years old and a lefty makes learning on line even harder for him, but cant see face to face lessons starting in the near future.
This will be a hard pill to swallow but he should learn how to play guitar right handed. Have a mate who's a lefty but plays as a righty and he wouldn't have it any other way.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
I found the fender play app to be super helpful with learning. There are quite a few apps and lessons so hopefully you can find one that he clicks with.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
That's awesome, I don't think I will ever make it to be able to plays gigs but I'm enjoying annoying the gf atm.
Yeah same. Once you learn the basic chords it really opens up and you start making huge progress. More enjoyable too as you do campfire gigs. After that it's finger picking which is where I am stuck. I really need to learn theory too lol

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Yeah same. Once you learn the basic chords it really opens up and you start making huge progress. More enjoyable too as you do campfire gigs. After that it's finger picking which is where I am stuck. I really need to learn theory too lol
I'll be happy when I can get to that stage. Finger picking is super cool. The more I learn the more I want to learn if you get me.

greendream

Likes Bikes
This will be a hard pill to swallow but he should learn how to play guitar right handed. Have a mate who's a lefty but plays as a righty and he wouldn't have it any other way.
My boy is a southpaw and a talented drummer. His first teacher encouraged him to set up the kit right hander but play open hand (left handed) so he could play any drum kit in the future. Seems to have done the trick. Curious thing his when he picks up a guitar or bass he plays right handed.

greendream

Likes Bikes
The model is a Gretsch penguin, I kind of like it.

I'm about 6 months in and had to push myself to keep going as I found it really hard.

Yeh, I love Gretsch guitars. I was wondering on the significance of the penguin?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'll be happy when I can get to that stage. Finger picking is super cool. The more I learn the more I want to learn if you get me.
Yep. I have given up though. I just youtube cool vids and complain about how unco I am haha! The koreans seem to have a monopoly on finger picking geniuses.