What new hobbies/activities have you taken up during lockdown?

greendream

Likes Bikes
Apologies in advance if this has been covered but I couldn't find a reference with the search.

My son (almost 18YO) & I have taken up darts to pass some isolation time. What started as a pleasant diversion has now become a competitive thing with sledging, fits of rage and a fine old time mostly of an evening. The missus says even she is enjoying listening to us carry on. We've upgraded our darts, had to replace shafts & flights after breaking them, and even buy new chalk to record our scores. I played quite a bit of darts back in my uni days (along with chess) but I'm certainly not including the bongs & beers that seemed to pop in the union bar at times.
We've improved a lot over the past few weeks but those 180's are still hard to come by. We mainly play 501 & cricket, or what we used to call shanghai back in the day.
I'm curious to learn what hobbies you burners may have picked up to pass these difficult times?

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I haven't actually done much yet, but it did give me time to think about what I want to do in my garden. Aiming to actually start doing more as we move into spring...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Apologies in advance if this has been covered but I couldn't find a reference with the search.

My son (almost 18YO) & I have taken up darts to pass some isolation time. What started as a pleasant diversion has now become a competitive thing with sledging, fits of rage and a fine old time mostly of an evening. The missus says even she is enjoying listening to us carry on. We've upgraded our darts, had to replace shafts & flights after breaking them, and even buy new chalk to record our scores. I played quite a bit of darts back in my uni days (along with chess) but I'm certainly not including the bongs & beers that seemed to pop in the union bar at times.
We've improved a lot over the past few weeks but those 180's are still hard to come by. We mainly play 501 & cricket, or what we used to call shanghai back in the day.
I'm curious to learn what hobbies you burners may have picked up to pass these difficult times?
I f***ing love the darts!

Dunno if it's a lockdown thing but I've definitely upped the amount I play this year and it's been great as I've finally got my mates into it after having the World Champs showing on Kayo every time they were over for beers during Christmas and New Year. Since that time I've spruced up the dartboard in the garage and invested in a travel board to while away the days in hotel quarantine / Howard Springs.

As mentioned my mates have jumped on the bandwagon and they've all recently bought decent boards and darts and we've a fairly competitive group happening. Usually we play 301 (regular triple figure throws are too thin on the ground for 501) although if there's a group of 3 or more of us then it's 'Killer' all the way!

The Garage Setup

The Travel Setup

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
That said, seeing that Darts isn't really a new hobby, I'd say PC gaming and VR has been the lockdown fad. The release of Microsoft Flight Simulator with it's satellite imagery and ability to fly anywhere in the planet (and then walk around the local streets in Google Streetview VR) inspired me to join the PC master-race and embark on a shitload of armchair tourism.

moorey

call me Mia

Dunno if it's a lockdown thing but I've definitely upped the amount I play this year and it's been great as I've finally got my mates into it after having the World Champs showing on Kayo every time they were over for beers during Christmas and New Year. Since that time I've spruced up the dartboard in the garage and invested in a travel board to while away the days in hotel quarantine / Howard Springs.

As mentioned my mates have jumped on the bandwagon and they've all recently bought decent boards and darts and we've a fairly competitive group happening. Usually we play 301 (regular triple figure throws are too thin on the ground for 501) although if there's a group of 3 or more of us then it's 'Killer' all the way!

The Garage Setup
View attachment 378638

The Travel Setup
View attachment 378639
You’re bloody inconsistent. A few on the board, most hit the wall.

greendream

Likes Bikes

The Garage Setup
View attachment 378638

The Travel Setup
View attachment 378639
I was loving it until the the Aberdeen flag. It's all the way with Celtic over here;)

Jpez

Down on the left!
I rebuilt an old RC helicopter I crashed about 8 years ago. Similar hobby trajectory as bikes. Spent many thousands, building, crashing, upgrading. My last one had a rotor span of 1500. Big. This one one I crashed was the last I had. I’ve spent hours on the net trawling for parts no longer available. But got it together. Had one terrifying hover in the back yard so far but need a proper RC club airfield to let it loose. This ones 550mm carbon blades and run about 2500-3000 rpm.
yep. I’m a nerd.

gippyz

Likes Dirt

Started a veggie patch and harvested a fully grown radish few days ago. Tasted much better than store bought. Have had few kales and rockets as well. So satisfying.

About to take up landscape painting as well. Just waiting for the stuff to arrive.

Otherwise, taking up gaming again after months of hiatus.

Certainly not running out of stuff to do, but truly hope the lockdown finishes soon.