What does your day look like?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Back in Bundaberg. The people we were relying on turned out to be unreliable.

View attachment 400542
You picked a bad year to give up glue sniffing.

A few days ago wife accidentally damaged an ornamental cat thing she was given by her late aunt. It is a bit twee and crazy cat lady but 100% functional in that it holds the scourer and sink plugs and has quite some sentimental value for her. Anyways the tail broke off when she was cleaning it. I do not have suitable glue and while in the IGA doing a smash and grab for milk and chocolate and green tea (three of life's staples) I saw some gorilla brand stuff and grabbed it on the way to the check out. I was the only one at the not much shit to buy checkout and there were three local young ladies waiting to take my money. As the items were being scanned I had a quick look at the glue packet to see if it mentions ceramics. Cashier looks at me and says what are you trying to glue. Now I could have said any number of things that would have been suitable like I am trying to glue a ceramic ornament back together but I said:

"My wife was wiping the cat and dropped it and broke off its tail, she is hoping to glue it back on"

All three behind the counter just stared at me. I left and then realised that this was quite likely not a good response. I arrived home and told my wife the RSPCA will be in touch in the next 24 hours.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You picked a bad year to give up glue sniffing.
Well, not really. It's been pretty lucrative for my little band of misfits. I'm getting working holidays, the boss has said Mrs George is welcome to tag along if it means I'll keep travelling and I was promoted without having to ask. And I'll be giving up trying to turn shit bikes in to working examples soon so I might even get a few days to fix my own bike.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Well, not really. It's been pretty lucrative for my little band of misfits. I'm getting working holidays, the boss has said Mrs George is welcome to tag along if it means I'll keep travelling and I was promoted without having to ask. And I'll be giving up trying to turn shit bikes in to working examples soon so I might even get a few days to fix my own bike.
There is a lot for a wife to see on a trip to Bundy. Turtles. Rum. Sugarcane. Harvesters. Bogans. @Minlak .

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Went to see a man about a job this morning...has been (something I hear a fair bit of in the industry) having difficulty finding staff. Seems ok, cafe is decked with a high end set up, customers seem mostly good, team are ok. He wants me on board. What's the pay?

The absolute lowest pay he could legally pay.

Can't decide if I'll grab a few extra dollars off him before I head to NZ or just not. I probably should, but I'm not much good at being an adult.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Went to see a man about a job this morning...has been (something I hear a fair bit of in the industry) having difficulty finding staff. Seems ok, cafe is decked with a high end set up, customers seem mostly good, team are ok. He wants me on board. What's the pay?

Can't decide if I'll grab a few extra dollars off him before I head to NZ or just not. I probably should, but I'm not much good at being an adult.
Just do the amount of work commensurate with your pay.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

Seems a fair amount of people don’t understand “award wage” is just the nicer way of saying “minimum”. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Seems a fair amount of people don’t understand “award wage” is just the nicer way of saying “minimum”. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
Exactly...and currently even getting monkeys is not easy.

Then there is the frustration of having to work with said monkeys. It's quite a risk.