What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
XTs are great, but I've also run M520s for years with never an issue.

Odd that you've destroyed two pairs!
thats the thing i havent destroyed shit...theyre both immaculate apart from a little cleat/shoe rub
all ive done is use them as intended with compatible shimano cleats, shimano shoes and just fucking rode them and theyve fucked themselves all by themselves :p

quite a few forum posters have complained about m520s as well...im not the only regular rider that doesnt like them, apparently the m540s are a significiant improvement and bearing wear play is not an issue on those. might ask crc to swap for them if they come to the party

id like to spring for the xts but theyre up around 80 bucks atm on crc and im already getting a bunch of stuff i need....and dont get me started on the rising cost of bike parts atm! :tsk:

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
M520s are so cheap I was buying them just for the cleats!

Maybe they have lowered their bearing quality in the last few years...

Z

Zaf

thats the thing i havent destroyed shit...theyre both immaculate apart from a little cleat/shoe rub
all ive done is use them as intended with compatible shimano cleats, shimano shoes and just fucking rode them and theyve fucked themselves all by themselves

quite a few formum posters have complained about m520s as well...im not the only regular rider that doesnt like them, apparently the m540s are a significiant improvement and bearing wear play is not an issue on those. might ask crc to swap for them if they come to the party

id like to spring for the xts but theyre up around 80 bucks atm on crc and im already getting a bunch of stuff i need....and dont get me started on the rising cost of bike parts atm! :tsk:

Sometimes you've got to spend money to save money.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
M520s are so cheap I was buying them just for the cleats!

Maybe they have lowered their bearing quality in the last few years...
thats exactly why i had a second pair...:biggrin:
i bought some pearl izumi shoes that didnt come with cleats and i think the cleats alone were $14 and the pedals were $23 so yeh same as you

but turns out theyre now shit.

from my strava
Pedals Shimano PD-M520 - Aug 7, 2014 - Feb 13, 2015 - 4,253.8 km (these were fucked at 3000km but being cheap i rode em another 1500km to get whatever i could out of them)
Pedals Shimano PD-M520 - Feb 13, 2015 - Present - 2,999.7km (fucked now...over them)

so minor correction 6 months on each basically....pretty poor. less than 6000km of good use over 2 x sets :(

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
thats exactly why i had a second pair...:biggrin:
i bought some pearl izumi shoes that didnt come with cleats and i think the cleats alone were $14 and the pedals were $23 so yeh same as you

but turns out theyre now shit.

from my strava
Pedals Shimano PD-M520 - Aug 7, 2014 - Feb 13, 2015 - 4,253.8 km (these were fucked at 3000km but being cheap i rode em another 1500km to get whatever i could out of them)
Pedals Shimano PD-M520 - Feb 13, 2015 - Present - 2,999.7km (fucked now...over them)

so minor correction 6 months on each basically....pretty poor. less than 6000km of good user over 2 x sets :(
shoes dont come with cleats, they are specific to the pedals.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
shoes dont come with cleats, they are specific to the pedals.
yeh i didnt explain/wasnt clear....new shoes from ebay and i didnt have spare cleats so hence i needed some and all pedals come with cleats...right? we all know that ;)

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
stripped my m520 spds off for warranty return to crc...2 pedal sets & both only got around 3000km before the bearings were completely toast (about 4-6 months for each set)
so far 2x emails, pdf form, 8 photos, pdf form again...just to get the ball rolling. pretty pissed.... shimano stuff should be better than this. really hoping crc dont make me send back and pay for postage because if they do there wont be any point returning with the relative low cost of the pedal (paid around $30 per set)

anyway stripping down the drivetrain later for a full clean, bike will get a wash, kero bath for chain/cassette, lube mechs, brakes, pivots and just give everything a good once over....bike could use a bit of tlc i reckon as its been a messy weeks riding and im starting to put in some serious time on the bike again....thank fuck ive found some motivation again :p
That's normal, deore pedals lasted me about 4000kms before the bearings went, xt 2 rides before the bearings needed adjustment.

Last edited:

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
That,s normal, deore pedals lasted me about 4000kms before the bearings went, xt 2 rides before the bearings needed adjustment.
yeh these are quite bad....i dont see how shimano can sell a product that is only good for ~3000km/couple months of riding.
and not even hard riding at that....theyre supposed to be an mtb/xc pedal. youd expect some degree of durability!

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
FINALLY discovered why I just couldn't get the SRAM XO1 to behave itself... I could adjust it so it worked well in the top half of the cassette, but it would skip and ghost shift in the bottom half. Or vice versa... Was driving me batty. Bent hanger... (brand new bike came with the bent hanger I might add).

Bless Giant for providing a second hanger in the box of stuff it came with, and it now shifts properly!! Happy days.

Checked the rim tape, as I was getting what I think was sealant from the drain hole on the carbon rims... I didn't overlap the tape enough, so thats fixed now (and patting myself on the back again for buying a compressor).

Saw a Giant Neos computer with heart rate monitor for $100, so bought that for the Defy. Just cant justify a Garmin, I just want cadence, heart rate and a speedo - phone in jersey pocket with strava running is just fine. Bit of fiddling to get it to pair with the built in Ridesense sensor on the Defy, but all good after I read the instructions...

Might even ride one of them tomorrow.

Z

Zaf

FINALLY discovered why I just couldn't get the SRAM XO1 to behave itself... I could adjust it so it worked well in the top half of the cassette, but it would skip and ghost shift in the bottom half. Or vice versa... Was driving me batty. Bent hanger... (brand new bike came with the bent hanger I might add).

Bless Giant for providing a second hanger in the box of stuff it came with, and it now shifts properly!! Happy days.

Checked the rim tape, as I was getting what I think was sealant from the drain hole on the carbon rims... I didn't overlap the tape enough, so thats fixed now.

Saw a Giant Neos computer with heart rate monitor for $100, so bought that for the Defy. Just cant justify a Garmin, I just want cadence, heart rate and a speedo - phone in jersey pocket with strava running is just fine. Bit of fiddling to get it to pair with the built in Ridesense sensor on the Defy, but all good after I read the instructions...

Might even ride one of them tomorrow.
Hey man, have a look up on Bike Market on facebook. Dudes selling second hand Garmin units ALL the time up there for cheap.

Haakon

Hey man, have a look up on Bike Market on facebook. Dudes selling second hand Garmin units ALL the time up there for cheap.
Urrgh. That would mean signing up for Facebook... Nah, the Neos will do. Neat, simple, and will not need charging all the time - set and forget.

Z

Zaf

Urrgh. That would mean signing up for Facebook... Nah, the Neos will do. Neat, simple, and will not need charging all the time - set and forget.
Yeah, it's true. But I've been running my Garmin 500 for several years now, and they're great kit.
But just a quick search of the group has me seeing:
Garmin Edge 500 with cadence/speed sensor $130
Garmin Edge 500 (just unit, red/black) $75
A couple of 510's for sale.

The Edge 500 gets ridiculous battery life out of it, I've run it for 24hour races and not had to charge it at any point. Only when you go to the big power sucking touch screens do they become charge monsters.
But all good, navigating facebook is reason enough to avoid it these days.

Haakon

Cheers dude. Yeah, I got Facebook for about a month when it very first came out and I very quickly developed a dislike for it... Everything I've seen to date makes me happy to have ditched it so early!

Yeah the 500 is a good unit. I was also tempted briefly by the new 20/25, but 8 hour battery life is hopeless. And I will always take my phone anyway, so no point for me. But I quite like the look of the Neos, and it has a big readout for the speedo and a nice clear display. Neat and clean. Plus for the hundred bucks it came with a heart rate monitor, so a good deal i think.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Cheers dude. Yeah, I got Facebook for about a month when it very first came out and I very quickly developed a dislike for it... Everything I've seen to date makes me happy to have ditched it so early!

Yeah the 500 is a good unit. I was also tempted briefly by the new 20/25, but 8 hour battery life is hopeless. And I will always take my phone anyway, so no point for me. But I quite like the look of the Neos, and it has a big readout for the speedo and a nice clear display. Neat and clean.
If it ticks all the boxes!
Haven't seen the Neo units, might have a google later.
Glad you got the derailleur fixed, shifting issues are about the most subtly frustrating thing in the world. I remember when my drivechain began to wear down after about 2000km, and it was slipping when I put power into the wheels, which made me not want to put power into the wheels. Just undermines your "GO" button in a big way.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
drilled a hole in the torrent and converted the dropper post from external to internal routing. so slick now.

fitted new wheels, stem, bars, brakes (really need to trim the lines though...), derailleur and pedals to the hardtail as well. now i cant decide which one to ride this arvo.

CX had a flat tyre... CX still has a flat tyre.

Last edited:

Klips

Likes Dirt
Rode lysterfield for the first time. Couldn't fathom why dudes take full blown dh rigs out to ride Aneurysm. Reckon I'll head back out on the hardtail to see how that goes, as the 150mm bike felt a bit sluggish through a lot of it. Really rate the CG track though, that was great fun.