Uday's Ferrari

lotec

Banned
If ford own rover then why do the petrol range rovers still have BMW engines in them? I wouldn't have though a car company would sell their engines to a competing manufacturer? Look what ive started here :D

scblack

Leucocholic
lotec said:
If ford own rover then why do the petrol range rovers still have BMW engines in them? I wouldn't have though a car company would sell their engines to a competing manufacturer? Look what ive started here :D
BMW owned Rover Group for a few years, and lost many billions of dollars in the process. The then current new Range Rovers were engineered by BMW and of course used their own engines. BMW eventually sold the Rover group to stop the losses they were incurring. (They actually sold the Rover Group for the grand total of $1 - yes $1 is correct, but it included all debts.) Rover cars were sold to a finance consortium, and Land & Range Rover were sold to Ford. In the deal with Ford, they ensured they had the engines they were engineered for - BMW - which meant that YES, Ford has been buying BMW engines for a few years.

Well picked up Lotec.

BagofSkill

Likes Dirt
scblack said:
Couple of errors there.

Bagofskill - Fiat are not owned by the Agnelli family, it is controlled by the Italian govt. Fiat owns roughly 80% of Ferrari, and I'm sure Maserati is 100% owned by Fiat. The Formula One team IS owned by Fiat - it is a part of the Ferrari company.
Not right matey.
Currently:
The Agnelli Family is the majority shareholder in Fiat with 30%.
The Family also owns Ferrari and Maserati, which they separated from Fiat a couple of years ago when it looked likey that Fiat was going out of Biz. Because of the tenuous financial situation, Fiat has also been separated from the Familys other and extensive (and still profitable) industrial business'.

Fiat has been majority goverment owned in the past though, and current speculation in biz markets is that the company may again be nationalized to save it closing the doors.

Not that this car stuff matters on a mtb forum

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
BagofSkill said:
It does if you cut the crap and tell me how to get the datto to handle...at all. :D

Note: first person to say "sell it" or something similar will be banned. ;)

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Ferrari F1 team is seperate to Ferrari itself, and is not owned by Fiat either, however they do have access to Ferrari's name, research and facilities. It was said that Fiat pour heaps of money into the Ferrari F1 team but it is a myth and they are two seperate corporations, and most of the Ferrari F1 Team's funding came solely from Marlboro cigarettes.

Oh and also Toyota owns Diahatsu (just contributing to the who owns who).

Last edited:

Carl

Banned
wombat: king springs super extra ultra lows, or you could just cut your springs, that's a good idea.

scblack

Leucocholic
BagofSkill said:
Not right matey.
Currently:
The Agnelli Family is the majority shareholder in Fiat with 30%.
The Family also owns Ferrari and Maserati, which they separated from Fiat a couple of years ago when it looked likey that Fiat was going out of Biz. Because of the tenuous financial situation, Fiat has also been separated from the Familys other and extensive (and still profitable) industrial business'.

Fiat has been majority goverment owned in the past though, and current speculation in biz markets is that the company may again be nationalized to save it closing the doors.

Mmmm, OK then, I was sure that was the case, but maybe I'm wrong.

Actually I do remember Ferrari being sold off out of the Fiat group when Fiat was in financial difficulty, a few years ago, so that lends weight to you being right, and me being wrong.

Oh well, I'm sure the others are right though.

Thanks BagofSkill.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Carl said:
wombat: king springs super extra ultra lows, or you could just cut your springs, that's a good idea.
How about super extra ultra uber lows, and then cutting another inch or so off them?

BagofSkill

Likes Dirt
Shyane, there is no point messing around with a classic like that. You have to go in with maximum attack.

Lower the engine 30mm and move it back 100mm. Change the Gearbox for a Hewland FTR 6 speed sequential mounted in the rear, under the seats, stealth like. Then, unless the budget will stretch to F1 spec Carbon, install cro-moly aero section wishbones fron and rear, double wishbone setup on Aurora Unibolts, rocker activated Ohlins Dampers with a twin spring package, ceramic wheelbearings and Performance Friction Carbon/Carbon brakes.

After that it'll handle and stop unlike anything previously assosciated with the Datto monkier.

floody

Wheel size expert
wombat said:
It does if you cut the crap and tell me how to get the datto to handle...at all. :D

Note: first person to say "sell it" or something similar will be banned. ;)
I might have a few ideas, PM me if you're half serious...what sort of datto?

thewayitis

Likes Dirt
just get a diesel hilux and be done with it.... who cares how fast a car goes as long as it gets you there. you could have a diesel hilux and the missers could have a datto. heaps better then that ferrari and the engines last 10 times longer anyway

toodles

Wheel size expert
wombat said:
Put it on a car transporter truck and drive the truck around. Instantly better cornering and less body roll. :)

Actually, I've got mates with a rally Datsun and a seriously modded 1600 ute ad both handle fine. So it can be done - still poses the question why but meh.

wombat

Lives in a hole
floody said:
I might have a few ideas, PM me if you're half serious...what sort of datto?
See that's the issue, 1600s definately have a lot of potential, 120Y's on the other hand don't. Although a switch to 1200 struts is on the cards, just so that I've got some options with brakes.

If you still think there's hope though, I'm always open to suggestions. At least if funds don't allow for real changes I can imagine what it would feel like. :(

Shaun

Likes Dirt
wombat said:
See that's the issue, 1600s definately have a lot of potential, 120Y's on the other hand don't. Although a switch to 1200 struts is on the cards, just so that I've got some options with brakes.

If you still think there's hope though, I'm always open to suggestions. At least if funds don't allow for real changes I can imagine what it would feel like. :(
or... you could get a 180sx, take the CA18T engine and gearbox etc. out of it, then get some really good engineer and put the suspension setup into the datto.( basically stick the datto shell onto the 180sx).

hehe.

after you win powerball of course.

floody

Wheel size expert
Theres lots of hope. a 120y is reasonably light shell with a simple but effective suspension arrangements.

In the front, slightly longer control arms or redrilled control arm mounts might give some more negative camber which could be useful, and lowered, stiffer springs with matching shock inserts would help immensely.
I'm guessing the 120y struts are pretty tiny little things with crap inserts, maybe something from a 240k, 180b, bluebird, R31 skyline or something could be substituted (with a few mods).
Replacing all applicable bushes with polyurethane ones would be a help, front and rear. Tramp rods could help control rear axle tramp, as well as good shocks with decent rebound control.
Adding a panhard rod to the rear end would be beneficial in controlling lateral movement in the rear suspension.
Rims with decent tyre width and as deep an offset as you can fit under your gaurds with reasonable size tyres would help - widening track generally helps mechanical grip and stability, as well as effectively acting like a stiffer sway bar.

Check out the forums and stuff at http://www.datsun1200.com for more info, plenty there. Somewhere on there is the official guide to setting up a 1200 coupe for circuit racing, most of which should be applicable to the 120y, and lots of knowledgeable people.

I can't see 1200 struts offering much more brake choice or being much different to the 120y ones?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
floody said:
Theres lots of hope. a 120y is reasonably light shell with a simple but effective suspension arrangements.

In the front, slightly longer control arms or redrilled control arm mounts might give some more negative camber which could be useful, and lowered, stiffer springs with matching shock inserts would help immensely.
I'm guessing the 120y struts are pretty tiny little things with crap inserts, maybe something from a 240k, 180b, bluebird, R31 skyline or something could be substituted (with a few mods).
Replacing all applicable bushes with polyurethane ones would be a help, front and rear. Tramp rods could help control rear axle tramp, as well as good shocks with decent rebound control.
Adding a panhard rod to the rear end would be beneficial in controlling lateral movement in the rear suspension.
Rims with decent tyre width and as deep an offset as you can fit under your gaurds with reasonable size tyres would help - widening track generally helps mechanical grip and stability, as well as effectively acting like a stiffer sway bar.

Check out the forums and stuff at http://www.datsun1200.com for more info, plenty there. Somewhere on there is the official guide to setting up a 1200 coupe for circuit racing, most of which should be applicable to the 120y, and lots of knowledgeable people.

I can't see 1200 struts offering much more brake choice or being much different to the 120y ones?
Hmmm.... my auntie used to own a 120Y and i still think to this day that they are one of the most ugly cars ever made. But it would be funny to pull up to some lights and smoke a homeboy in his WRX :D

Tomas

my mum says im cool
floody said:
Just for the record, Ferrari is actually a Baseball cap and Poster manufacturing company (I believe they also dabble in mugs, G-strings and so on) who turn out a few promotional vehicles to help sell their main product lines.
Ferrari's formula1 team is funded purely on sales of merchandise. ANyone who knows how much f1 teams chew through a year youd know that its an awfuly large ammount of money.

scblack

Leucocholic
Formula One teams also receive a percentage of TV revenues, on the basis of the points that they score in a season. Ferrari, because they are presently killing pointscores, are receiving a large part of these TV revenues.