Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

moorey

call me Mia
TL/DR: The Republican Party (for the first time ever) will not be developing any platform until 2024, they'll just be recycling the 2016 bid and hope no one will question if anything has changed in the last four years....
Your link won’t open for me unfortunately.

I recall a few months ago, their 2020 platform was literally their 2016 platform. They hadn’t even changed the dates. Trump believes he can replicate the win by spewing the same vile rhetoric that worked in 2016. It still works on his base, everyone else has pretty much seen through it as smoke and mirrors/dog whistles.

moorey

call me Mia
Working now. Yep.

RESOLVED, That the 2020 Republican National Convention will adjourn without adopting a new platform until the 2024 Republican National Convention;
RESOLVED, That the 2020 Republican National Convention calls on the media to engage in accurate and unbiased reporting, especially as it relates to the strong support of the RNC for President Trump and his Administration; and
RESOLVED, That any motion to amend the 2016 Platform or to adopt a new platform, including any motion to suspend the procedures that will allow doing so, will be ruled out of order.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
The moment where she sees herself reflected in the camera lens and realises she looks like a tennis ball.

Edit: I actually watched quite a lot of the RNC today because I will do literally anything to avoid working efficiently at the moment, and while there was some truly deranged shit going down, the most frightening thing about it was how plausible much of the truth adjacent spin might sound to a casual observer of politics.

moorey

call me Mia
The moment where she sees herself reflected in the camera lens and realises she looks like a tennis ball.

Edit: I actually watched quite a lot of the RNC today because I will do literally anything to avoid working efficiently at the moment, and while there was some truly deranged shit going down, the most frightening thing about it was how plausible much of the truth adjacent spin might sound to a casual observer of politics.
If you’re watching the RNC, you’ve either already drunk the kool aide, and will believe every word, or are watching it as a drinking game, taking a swig for every dog whistle.

It’s like that horrific Plandemic ‘movie’. On face value, the info sounds plausible and the people featured look genuine. 30 seconds of googling shows EVERY point to be completely untrue....but no one that I know Googled it, the just lapped it up. Scary shit.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I thought that was just me, not been a good work week this one.

What worries me about the TNC wasn't so much the content (which was predictably batshit) but the lack of response. Speaker after speaker got up and told lie after lie after lie so blatantly and so offensively and the collective response has seemingly just been a shrug. It's like @hifiandmtb's post above - the fuckers have just overloaded the system and in combination with current events people just don't seem to have the energy to fight it anymore.

The violent protests are also becoming really concerning. Trump has shown ample enthusiasm for inciting unrest and violence and some of the viral videos this week portraying BLM protesters as little more than unhinged screeching zealots is going to play right into his hands with all those curtain twitching voters too.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'm still calling it. Trump will win. Its happening all over the world, authoritarianism is rife.

America was always built on personal power and influence, its frankly a miracle they waited this long to openly turn into a dictatorship.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm still calling it. Trump will win. Its happening all over the world, authoritarianism is rife.

America was always built on personal power and influence, its frankly a miracle they waited this long to openly turn into a dictatorship.
Your prediction renews my optimism of a Blue trifecta.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Your prediction renews my optimism of a Blue trifecta.
Happy to help with your blood pressure. I'll be sooooooo pleased to be wrong on this, but not seeing anything to suggest the Democrats have heeded any lessons or grappled with why trump is winning - let along do anything to counter it.

Or more likely they know how he is winning but are powerless to do anything about it. Its rooted in lies and relying on ignorance and fear - and thats unbeatable when the country is ignorant and afraid. Cant turn that around inside a generation or two.