The stupid questions thread.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yup, like this.
Yeah, my point was more do you really want your brakes that close? Like when have you ever run an older style lever clamp butted right up against your grip? The outboard brace on those new levers is about inline with where the old clamp was (can even see the mark on the bar in your photo).

Or am I just weird? I wouldn't want my brake any closer than per that pic...

Petero

Likes Dirt
Yeah, my point was more do you really want your brakes that close? Like when have you ever run an older style lever clamp butted right up against your grip? The outboard brace on those new levers is about inline with where the old clamp was (can even see the mark on the bar in your photo).

Or am I just weird? I wouldn't want my brake any closer than per that pic...
Ahh yup, valid point. Just limits personal adjustment especially once the shifter is mounted ispec style.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why are some beer brands now doing 18 can packs rather than 24? My initial guess is tax related, but just wild guessing.
I haven't purchased beer in a while but I'd be guessing one or both of:
  • no-one's being hitting the gym and so the kids can't handle hauling around 24 cans these days, or
  • pricing. The 'craft beer' market has slabs hitting $75+ which looks pretty horrible compared to 'standard beer' in the $45-60 range. Maybe they figured people will pay in that range to get less 'good' beer, but won't stretch to $70 or more for the extra cans

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Why are some beer brands now doing 18 can packs rather than 24? My initial guess is tax related, but just wild guessing.
Profits. A lot of brands doing 4 packs for a while now seeing smaller cartons of beer but prices have not really dropped to reflect the smaller count. Also boxes of 16 quite common and there is the bigger brands doing block boxes of 30.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I do, but that's because I have tiny hands. You are correct, most normal sized riders would want a gap between brake clamp and grips though.
I do too, so I can get the shifters outboard far enough for my stumpy thumbs, and I also like to drop my index finger behind the brake lever to hit the release trigger.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Profits. A lot of brands doing 4 packs for a while now seeing smaller cartons of beer but prices have not really dropped to reflect the smaller count. Also boxes of 16 quite common and there is the bigger brands doing block boxes of 30.
Who doesn't love profits!!! I was wondering if they were selling more along the line of total number of standard drinks in the package as a means of reduce the excise burden. I saw some wowser media the other day proposing that the seltzer trend was being pushed by big liquor as a way of evading the alcopop tax.

I haven't purchased beer in a while but I'd be guessing one or both of:
  • no-one's being hitting the gym and so the kids can't handle hauling around 24 cans these days, or
  • pricing. The 'craft beer' market has slabs hitting $75+ which looks pretty horrible compared to 'standard beer' in the $45-60 range. Maybe they figured people will pay in that range to get less 'good' beer, but won't stretch to $70 or more for the extra cans
30 cans...I'm not a beer drinker, but one time as a youthful whatever I can buy drinker I drank a 30 can block of some horrible beer to prove I could. I think it was only a Midstrength, leading to a lot of "well of it was real beer" from my high quality social circle at the time.

I guess if you aren't wanting to smash a full box of beer in a night, then a smaller package is going to be cheaper at the checkout. Even if each beer is the same or slightly more individually. All I know is somewhere between the last and current order 2 of our big brands switched the 18 cans and our new lines are all 18 packs as well. I've got to work out a new floor plan for storage and these smaller packages don't stack up real high as nicely!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Who doesn't love profits!!! I was wondering if they were selling more along the line of total number of standard drinks in the package as a means of reduce the excise burden. I saw some wowser media the other day proposing that the seltzer trend was being pushed by big liquor as a way of evading the alcopop tax.

30 cans...I'm not a beer drinker, but one time as a youthful whatever I can buy drinker I drank a 30 can block of some horrible beer to prove I could. I think it was only a Midstrength, leading to a lot of "well of it was real beer" from my high quality social circle at the time.

I guess if you aren't wanting to smash a full box of beer in a night, then a smaller package is going to be cheaper at the checkout. Even if each beer is the same or slightly more individually. All I know is somewhere between the last and current order 2 of our big brands switched the 18 cans and our new lines are all 18 packs as well. I've got to work out a new floor plan for storage and these smaller packages don't stack up real high as nicely!
Probably something to do with OH&S, someone most likely strained a finger muscle picking them up and stacking them in Woolies. Wrap the bottom stacks with clingwrap and stack them in different orientations within the layer stacks. You can't tell I've ever packed 40 foot containers :D.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Probably something to do with OH&S, someone most likely strained a finger muscle picking them up and stacking them in Woolies. Wrap the bottom stacks with clingwrap and stack them in different orientations within the layer stacks. You can't tell I've ever packed 40 foot containers :D.
Hmmmm...made switch to cans to reduce non-recyclable waste, so no plastic wrapping them. Not meant to store beer sideways either, but aren't carrying big stock levels for long periods of time so it might be ok and is a likely solution to the leaning tower it currently is.