The stupid questions thread.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Since there are so many IT gurus out there...

I normally reserve my IT questions for @Minlak but he is away camping, making some more of his special undies for his onlyfans or something.

Anyway a computer problem. I play bridge on my computer and the computer assigned partner is a fuckwit. What can I do?
I’m amazed the collection of 5 1/4” floppy disks arn’t oxidised beyond usable.

Tell us how you’ve stored them so well for so long

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So i’m bored with time to kill while recovering from injury I thought it would be interesting to measure my bike’s geo manually vs the supplied numbers..
I want to measure the reach and found a method online that seemed too easy to be true.
The method was to have your bike standing straight with the front wheel butted up against a wall. You (A) measure the straight line distance from the middle of the BB to the wall, then repeat for (B) from the top centre of the headtube to the wall. Figure A - B = frame reach.. Seems too easy to me.. Am i stupid or does this give a legit number?

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt

- there is a chart thing - I'm not maths minded

Or @beeb could prob translate into easily digestible words

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

- there is a chart thing - I'm not maths minded

Or @beeb could prob translate into easily digestible words

I have the offical frame geo chart, the wheelbase measurement is 20 odd mm longer than stated so was curious if any other numbers are out..
It is meant to have 453mm reach but so far i’m measuring ~460-470.. Need dead flat ground to be sure of the measurement..

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So i’m bored with time to kill while recovering from injury I thought it would be interesting to measure my bike’s geo manually vs the supplied numbers..
I want to measure the reach and found a method online that seemed too easy to be true.
The method was to have your bike standing straight with the front wheel butted up against a wall. You (A) measure the straight line distance from the middle of the BB to the wall, then repeat for (B) from the top centre of the headtube to the wall. Figure A - B = frame reach.. Seems too easy to me.. Am i stupid or does this give a legit number?
Should work. Reach is the horizontal distance between BB and the (centre of the) top of the head-tube.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Can someone please explain how "reach" offers a valid reference, because it completely ignores everything that goes on behind the BB axis, thus is only an incomplete measurement.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Can someone please explain how "reach" offers a valid reference, because it completely ignores everything that goes on behind the BB axis, thus is only an incomplete measurement.
It’s essentially become shorthand for “how big it feels when you’re standing up”, but a lot of that arms race has ignored a bunch of other factors, yeah.. like how it feels the other 90% of the time when you’re sitting down kneeing yourself in the wrists because of the 82° seat angle :p

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Because people are many many sizes and bike frames only a few it is still a useful measurement even though two riders of the same height may have different arm lengths, shoulder width etc, different bar width... It is a comparison number to gauge frame against frame. Yes?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Definitely. But there’s a tendency to just say “reach should be x”. As a replacement for effective TT or seat tube length that preceded it as the vogue go-to metric, it still has its own set of shortcomings. As you say, all geo has to be read in context of the whole.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also think the issue is reach is used without factoring in stack height. If a bike has a reach of 480mm, it will feel longer if the stack is higher than lower when compared to what you are currently riding.. A lower stack also usually means spacers and riser bars for the average punter so suddenly that 480mm is 460 when standing and the seated position gets cramped a Leitch pointed out..

I found this interesting article, https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/beyond-geometry-charts-399728.. It’s pretty nerdy but i am bored with time to kill.
Considering the amount of marketing telling you to upgrade for geo reasons, I think it is interesting to run an experiment on what size I am riding.
For example I * think* I want a longer reach 120-130mm bike for when things get a bit steeper at Bright etc, nothing outrageous, the sort of numbers revel and santa cruz use.. So far measuring my bike (2019 Primer with an angleset) against the newer bikes, the wheelbase is within +/- 2-3 mm, front centre +/- 2-3mm, head angle within ~0.5 degrees.. Reach and seat angle are the next to be measured. So looks like the geo charts are actually a bit off (after factoring in the angleset) and the desire to upgrade for geo reasons isn’t looking particularly strong.. Of course there are many other reasons for an upgrade though ..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I also think the issue is reach is used without factoring in stack height. If a bike has a reach of 480mm, it will feel longer if the stack is higher than lower when compared to what you are currently riding.. A lower stack also usually means spacers and riser bars for the average punter so suddenly that 480mm is 460 when standing and the seated position gets cramped a Leitch pointed out..

I found this interesting article, https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/beyond-geometry-charts-399728.. It’s pretty nerdy but i am bored with time to kill.
Considering the amount of marketing telling you to upgrade for geo reasons, I think it is interesting to run an experiment on what size I am riding.
For example I * think* I want a longer reach 120-130mm bike for when things get a bit steeper at Bright etc, nothing outrageous, the sort of numbers revel and santa cruz use.. So far measuring my bike (2019 Primer with an angleset) against the newer bikes, the wheelbase is within +/- 2-3 mm, front centre +/- 2-3mm, head angle within ~0.5 degrees.. Reach and seat angle are the next to be measured. So looks like the geo charts are actually a bit off (after factoring in the angleset) and the desire to upgrade for geo reasons isn’t looking particularly strong.. Of course there are many other reasons for an upgrade though ..

TLDR...new bike time.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Riser bars are your friend. I went from 25mm rise to 50mm and it's made the bike much easier to live with.

The bars are now level with the saddle so before I was basically riding a 65 degree head angle xc bike lol.