The stupid questions thread.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
What the fuck is it with companies putting charcoal in everything?
In the last few months I've found it in my toothpaste, in dental floss and now it's in my shower gel.
Are they trying to market toiletries specifically for goths?
Has anyone considered the environmental footprint of burning off all this wood just to add black shit to your washing routine for no discernable reason?
What are they going to add it to next?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
In the last few months I've found it in my toothpaste, in dental floss and now it's in my shower gel.
Has anyone considered the environmental footprint of burning off all this wood just to add black shit to your washing routine for no discernable reason?
It's probably the coal industry future proofing with market diversification.

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
Looked at your suppositories lately?

pink poodle

aka stickchops
Carbon sinking...every little bit counts. The planet thanks you for doing your part.

Fred Nurk

Likes Dirt
I blame the hippies and their focus on organics...

pink poodle

aka stickchops
Random thought on spoke nipples...tweak me?

Why are they brass or (I know!) Aluminium? Why not stainless steel or some other steel alloy? Why not titanium (other than price)? Is brass really just that good that nothing else should ever be considered? What about bronze?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Random thought on spoke nipples...tweak me?

Why are they brass or (I know!) Aluminium? Why not stainless steel or some other steel alloy? Why not titanium (other than price)? Is brass really just that good that nothing else should ever be considered? What about bronze?
Stainless isn't good to have directly on aluminium, it will cause galvanic corrosion, also you get the problem of galling with the nipple and spoke, also too hard for a lot of wheel applications, and other materials are too expensive, you can get Ti spokes and nips. Brass nipples, soft, cheap, easy to make, what more do you want in this beautiful world?

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
As above, stainless will gall with hard spoke material. Titanium is soft so you dont want that. Aluminium has its own issues especially in carbon rims and brass, well brass is pretty damn fine for that duty.

The Duckmeister

Has stumpy thumbs, Speciaized are so weird
In addition to the above, stainless steel can work-harden and become brittle under prolonged cyclic loads, leading to eventual failure.

Brass by contrast is relatively non-reactive with other stuff, so corrosion takes a bloody long time to set in; some quirk of its composition makes it reasonably self-lubricating, which almost eliminates galling; and it's soft enough to have a bit of give under cyclic loads, while having enough shear strength to not pull threads out. It's simply the perfect stuff for spoke nipples.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Client of mine has snapped his QR rear axle on his 2019 Giant ATX. It's been a very long time since I've had to deal with that crap, I think my options are:
  1. Buy a new axle from somewhere and install
  2. Buy a new 7sp hub and re-lace
  3. Buy a whole new wheel.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking?