The QUICK question thread.....

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Ok - so I'm not so s-m-r-t

Just to confirm - as long as the length of a spring for shock fits the shock does it matter what length it is? If it fits is the only concern the spring rate from a ride perspective?

I have:
  • Marz Bomber CR 230*65 shock
  • 450lb 2.5-2.8 FOX spring
  • 500lb - 67mm FOX SLS
  • 550lb - 2.8" FOX SLS

So far the 500lb spring feels best - but the 550lb might be the right one - i just want to be sure that if they fit my only concern should be the weight and that the length is irrelevant.

Thanks

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@northvanguy it does matter, if the spring stroke/length is too short then it can bind before the shock bottoms out. But all those springs will be fine with that shock (65mm = ~2.55in)

Last edited:

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
@northvanguy it does matter, if the spring stroke/length is too short then it can bind before the shock bottoms out. But all those springs will be fine with that shock (65mm = ~2.55in)
Ok - but just some I'm clear - a 550lb 2.5" spring and a 550lb 2.8" spring will function exactly the same on the bike?

Only if a spring is too short for the stroke is there a problem?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Ok - but just some I'm clear - a 550lb 2.5" spring and a 550lb 2.8" spring will function exactly the same on the bike?

Only if a spring is too short for the stroke is there a problem?
Ramp rate will be different. Guessing. Unless wire diameter is different to compensate for spring diameter differences.

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Not sure if I've come to the right place (no, this isn't my "quick Q"), but here we go.

Any of the car nuts out there, have an idea on what a 2019 VW Touareg, 3L V6 Launch Edition (optioned with innovision package & panoramic sunroof) with 4000km would fetch in the current market?