The Photo Snob Thread

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No where near as good as my last sets results because the model was no where near on par with the last girl, but figure I'd post them up anyway haha. Having said that, considering that said I'm pretty damn stoked with the results :) there's just something about her face or something that doesn't work in a couple of them though, i dunno. Doing some more with another gurl tomorrow but they're going to be a whole different thing again. could be interesting :)

(probs my favourite one ^^^^)

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crit please?

Taken in B&W, I seem to get better pictures shooting in black and white, not sure if its something to do with my camera or maybe its just easyer?

this is exactly how it came off the camera, not sure about composition tho

This litte fella fly into a window just before I left for work the other day

I dont normaly post in here caus I'm not exactly a photo snobber, but I liked these and would like to here what you think of them :)

thanks

Attachments

wombat

Lives in a hole
the model was no where near on par with the last girl, ... there's just something about her face that doesn't work...
You should definately attach that as a note when you send her the shots.

Seriously though, have you got yourself a flash yet Alec? A few of those look like they could really use it to spice up the lighting, or try and even out the shadows across her face.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Ango where was that top shot taken. It's great and the location looks awesome, I would love to check that place out by the looks of it
Fort Pearce at Point Nepean National Park. I'm on work placement here with Parks Victoria. Sadly, I haven't had a good enough day to go photo-ing since, otherwise I'd have brought more shots to show!

I like them Ango! Well done, I Was wondering what your take on that lens is...
It's ace. Coupled with the D300s, it's amazing. Super fast AF, brilliant IQ, sharp thoughout the zoom range. My only complaints are that it is a rather large, bulky lens so carrying it around for an extended period of time can be a chore, and it seems to flare when pointed at direct light sources (not too much but more than I expected). The stiff zoom ring doesn't help much either though at least it doesn't creep.

When doing my research thought, it seemed one of the biggest optical issues people have with this lens is the barrel distortion and I must say, it's hardly as prevalent as people make it out to be. That said, it depends on what you're shooting at. I purchased this lens for use outdoors (weather sealing and solid build come into their own here) so such effects are going to be more of a concern when shooting buildings and the likes.

Reminds me of a call of duty level /nerd
Well it is an abandoned fort..."Gibraltar of the South"

alexx23

Likes Dirt
took photos of a mates cat last night, was pretty happy with resluts until i got them on the computer an realised that they had 20plus flash reflections on the paint that i didnt see on the camera, grrrr, reshoting today.

the best one of the night, not too many reflections, it would be easy to clone, but dont have Ps!

This one is a bit of a mehh photo, but it looks alright.

I do love being in this car, its perfect, inside and out, and is freaky fast. Its for sale too, let me know if your interested by and chance!

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously though, have you got yourself a flash yet Alec? A few of those look like they could really use it to spice up the lighting, or try and even out the shadows across her face.
I have a 580EX11, haha. But I didn't use it throughout all the shots. I find it's just way to harsh sometimes and I don't know alot about changing settings or... anything :eek:

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
there's just something about her face or something that doesn't work in a couple of them though, i dunno.
She looks like she's trying to push out a massive poo in some of them.

Kind of on-topic, there's a wedding photographer down here I had a chat to a few months back- apparently he only moonlights in weddings- during the week he shoots for Zoo, Ralph, FHM etc. Funnily enough, he's divorced.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
She looks like she's trying to push out a massive poo in some of them.

Kind of on-topic, there's a wedding photographer down here I had a chat to a few months back- apparently he only moonlights in weddings- during the week he shoots for Zoo, Ralph, FHM etc. Funnily enough, he's divorced.
Hahahhahaha, nicely said :p I'd never met her before the shoot so I wasn't sure what to expect, I tell ya shooting a gurl with no hips, no ass, and no tits is not easy.

p.s. Wombat the ones I did of a friend today were indoors and I used the 580 and aimed into into walls, the roof etc to bounce it. Thought I'd try something I havn't before, haha. About to check out the results now but I'm craving some xbox first I think :eek:

Few i took the other day..

C&C please
Hate to be blunt... but... they're sorta boring?

And the angle in the second one is annoying me, I think the fence makes the photo look slanted? Or is that just me?

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anybody know of a program or software of some sort that can make an image higher res? I've got a photo i took quite a while ago that i wouldn't mind hanging in my room, but its a little on the small side. :confused:

little man

Likes Dirt
If you have photoshop, Ctrl+alt+i opens the image size tab. In there you can change the dimensions and the amount of pixels per inch. Give that a go.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Anyone know of any programs or freeware that can be used to recover deleted files off a memory card (CF) ?

I had a whole bunch of photos that hadn't been backed up yet, on my PC and they have since disappeared. I deleted them off the camera but haven't used the card since for fear of overwriting anything that may still exist on there. Any ideas?

If all else fails, I'll go to a deticated shop but I thought I'd give it a go...

saMfish

Likes Dirt
Anyone know of any programs or freeware that can be used to recover deleted files off a memory card (CF) ?

I had a whole bunch of photos that hadn't been backed up yet, on my PC and they have since disappeared. I deleted them off the camera but haven't used the card since for fear of overwriting anything that may still exist on there. Any ideas?

If all else fails, I'll go to a deticated shop but I thought I'd give it a go...
After doing about 3 minutes of research (not blaming you for not looking, just saying that I didn't spend much time so do not know how good this will be) and found this: http://cardrecovery.com/ - would be good if you could trial it and tell us if it works?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
After doing about 3 minutes of research (not blaming you for not looking, just saying that I didn't spend much time so do not know how good this will be) and found this: http://cardrecovery.com/ - would be good if you could trial it and tell us if it works?
Already tried it. It didn't take nicely to RAW files.
In 'trial' mode, it only permits a preview of thumbnails of recovered files, just to let you see it works. With RAW, it couldn't display anything.
With a bit of seraching, I got a serial but was only able to retrieve JPEG files or RAW images that were already existing on the card. Bit of a fizzer really :(

Last edited:

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I used one the other night but can't remember the name atm.

Lent an external drive to a mate and told him he could delete whatever was on there. Found out a week later that ALL our family pics from last 10 years were on there. Only copy for some reason.

After a few minutes of panic I did a web search for "Data recovery software" and found one that looked good. Trialed it and seemed to work so paid the $66 odd dolars and sucessfully recovered about 3000 pics.

Was really happy with that result!

saMfish

Likes Dirt
Hmm true, if the card is Sandisk it should have come with recovery software by the name of RescuePRO, and Lexar provides recovery software by the name of Image Rescue.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
C'mon Alec.....learn!:D Read the manual and a bit of trial and error!
Haha, I think this is something I'm really going to have to do learn to do about everything to do with gear. I'm buying my own 50D within the next few weeks cause I'm sick of using dads 40D for all my photos, so I'm going to be getting much more into things once I get that :) (don't have alot of freedom with what I am and aren't allowed to do atm, being dad's camera and all)

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used one the other night but can't remember the name atm.

Lent an external drive to a mate and told him he could delete whatever was on there. Found out a week later that ALL our family pics from last 10 years were on there. Only copy for some reason.

After a few minutes of panic I did a web search for "Data recovery software" and found one that looked good. Trialed it and seemed to work so paid the $66 odd dolars and sucessfully recovered about 3000 pics.

Was really happy with that result!
Called WinUndelete if anyone is interested.