The Photo Snob Thread

wombat

Lives in a hole
Looking for an all purpose walkaround lens( Canon 50D), budget is around 650 max

Have been thinking of either the 17-85 F/4-5.6, 18-135 F/3.5-5.6 or the 28-135 F/3.5-5.6
Does anyone have any of these lenses or could they shed some light on them please
Had the 17-85, generally speaking it was a dissapointment, especially after I had the Tamron 17-50 to compare it with. My advice would be to consider some third party alternatives, and think about what you're going to be shooting. I know for me, fast lenses have proven to be more valuable than a slightly bigger focal range, so things like the 17-50, the Sigma 18-50 (or whatever it is) and the Tammy 28-75 would be high up my list.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had another wonder around a different village this time, during a food distribution program that we were working on:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Here we are guys, available for pre order - Nikon 24mm f1.4G and 16-35mm f4.

http://www.adorama.com/NK2414U.html

http://www.adorama.com/NK1635U.html

It's ace. Coupled with the D300s, it's amazing. Super fast AF, brilliant IQ, sharp thoughout the zoom range. My only complaints are that it is a rather large, bulky lens so carrying it around for an extended period of time can be a chore, and it seems to flare when pointed at direct light sources (not too much but more than I expected). The stiff zoom ring doesn't help much either though at least it doesn't creep.

When doing my research thought, it seemed one of the biggest optical issues people have with this lens is the barrel distortion and I must say, it's hardly as prevalent as people make it out to be. That said, it depends on what you're shooting at. I purchased this lens for use outdoors (weather sealing and solid build come into their own here) so such effects are going to be more of a concern when shooting buildings and the likes.

Nice one, and thanks for that feedback mate. I'm with you on the weather sealing, only as a just in case sort of thing. One of the main reasons for me wanting one (other than its a nice lense and will last me a while) is i'll be going all over Australia (red centre, kakadu, perth etc etc) for my honeymoon and want something really nice for it. The good thing is time is on my side...

It will spend it's life as a general purpose lens i'm thinking, and it will probably do a lot of landscape work as well.

Very unusual, a lot of work went into that lighting! Damn fine photography though.

Had another wonder around a different village this time, during a food distribution program that we were working on:

*SNIP*

Absolutely beautiful shot, well done...

Last edited:

Drew.

Eats Squid
I love the photo; however, while I can appreciate the blown out whites on the right hand side, too me, it's a bit too drastic and looks rather odd having no shadows around his ear/that side of his face.

Great capture of emotion and general disconnection from the world that we know.

Very unusual, a lot of work went into that lighting! Damn fine photography though.
I found this guys work so awe inspiring, i mean, more than anyone i've encountered. These shots are simply magnificant, in all meanings of the term; when you look at a shot and think "how the f***", is really a sign of the talent behind the lense/lights.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
any opinions on the Nkon 18-200mm VRII?

is it worth the grand or so?
What do you want to use it for? Sports/travel/portraits/everything? It's not a bad lens, but a little soft at 18mm and 200mm, and a little slow, but it'd be fine for travel photography if you want to go light. Otherwise i'd recommend getting specific lenses - as in a mid-zoom (18-70, 17-55, 15-85, etc) and a tele zoom (70-200, 80-200, 70-300VR, etc).

Edit:

Olly - Not too bad. Quite like the shot of Ryan, but they're both nothing of the 'insane' type i've come to expect from you...(hehe). Go hard though, we have a Melbourne to attend...

Drew - As Callan said, meh...

Last edited:

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Drew, apparently I like meh photos. The third one is nice, kind of bizarre, but that's why i like it. Rad wallpaper too.

I'll add something while I'm here, two photos in fact..

jimmy_22

Likes Dirt
What do you want to use it for? Sports/travel/portraits/everything? It's not a bad lens, but a little soft at 18mm and 200mm, and a little slow, but it'd be fine for travel photography if you want to go light. Otherwise i'd recommend getting specific lenses - as in a mid-zoom (18-70, 17-55, 15-85, etc) and a tele zoom (70-200, 80-200, 70-300VR, etc).
i mainly plan on shooting sport. but a bit of everything at some point or another,. i spent the past hour and a half looking at reviews allover the net of a range of lenses. looks like ill be buying the 18-70mm f3.5-4.5, the only draw back being a lack of VR. but i suppose that is not as much of an issue as if it was a tele.

syko

Likes Dirt
So haven't posted on here in a while so i might do my share of photo sharing and post my 'meh' photos.

Both taken with 15mm fish, yes i know everyone takes bmx with a fisheye but i don't normally. But thoughts/ improvements for next time?