The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Scotty T

Walks the walk
There is really no one to vote for they are all bad options.

I am not that worried about the Nazi costume thing as it is not recent history. At a time this was pretty common in comedies to take the piss like this or do stuff like black face in comedy shows. Times change and it is not ok now. It is just hypocritical to make a big deal about it now without canceling everything like it.
Yeah it's bad taste and speaks to a certain type of individual, even in those times (I wouldn't have done it in the 90's when I was that age as I was well aware of neo-nazism and white supremacy) but nobody batted an eyelid because it was generally seen as just taking the piss. KKK dress up was another one people let slide back then.

Totally agree @johnny, in reality, who is gonna come out and say I did these fuckwit things as a kid until they are at risk of it being exposed? Nobody here knew me as a kid so I'm all good ;)

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
He was also 21.

I don’t want anyone as my leader who didn’t do dumb things they now regret when they were young. Timing of the apology makes get be an interesting question, though.
There are two rumors, one is that there is photographic evidence and he was about to be exposed by either the hard-right of the party to remove him or ClubsNSW due to his stance on gaming machines.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yeah it's bad taste and speaks to a certain type of individual, even in those times (I wouldn't have done it in the 90's when I was that age as I was well aware of neo-nazism and white supremacy) but nobody batted an eyelid because it was generally seen as just taking the piss. KKK dress up was another one people let slide back then.

Totally agree @johnny, in reality, who is gonna come out and say I did these fuckwit things as a kid until they are at risk of it being exposed? Nobody here knew me as a kid so I'm all good ;)
But were you aware of the Producers and Springtime for Hitler?

If Mel Brooks can take the piss out of Hitler why not the rest of us?

I'm particularly fond of the Japanese take on Hitler as a super vain emo with lots of eye makeup.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
But were you aware of the Producers and Springtime for Hitler?

If Mel Brooks can take the piss out of Hitler why not the rest of us?

I'm particularly fond of the Japanese take on Hitler as a super vain emo with lots of eye makeup.

Because Mel Brooks is Jewish. I suppose it's like a black comedian taking the piss out of the KKK.
The oppressed generally has free reign satirizing the oppressor.

you forgot Hitler Icecream in India.

1673586201518.png

Last edited:

Oddjob

Because Mel Brooks is Jewish. I suppose it's like a black comedian taking the piss out of the KKK.
The oppressed generally has free reign satirizing the oppressor.

you forgot Hitler Icecream in India.

View attachment 396136

The Dave Chappelle KKK skit is probably the greatest comedy moment of all time.

Unfortunately Joe Rogan agrees with me. :(

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
You know what I'm tired of? People getting offended on behalf of other people and I think I get to weigh in on this one

I've got a ski at the end of my name, my dziadzia spent years fighting them against overwhelming odds while wondering how much of his family was alive, then after it was supposedly all over he had to pack his bags and young family and head on over here because the Soviets figured it was their turn for a bit of polish annexing. I don't get offended by pisstaking Nazis, I get a kick out of them being portrayed as idiotic instead of the ruthless and efficient monsters they were. I don't want people that have no real ties to the shit that went down in the area getting offended on my behalf.

I personally think Pisstaking takes the power of the symbol away, the more urine that's extracted from the likes of Nazis and Klansmen the better. Make their symbols the butt of the as many jokes as you can and I reckon they're less likely to be emulated by as many in the future.

Having said that, if he was dressing up because he thought they had some kickass ideas, then I think he's fair game. I don't know the context, I just saw some memes

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
It can be very insensitive of people to bring up anything related to German war time in front of people that were first hand negitively affected by it, we had a teacher at school that was from Austria that had her whole family killed by Hilter, a few kids, being kids would give her the hi-hitler in german classes that would make her break down in tears not understanding what had happened to her. Just a simple joke for kids had bad concenquences.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It can be very insensitive of people to bring up anything related to German war time in front of people that were first hand negitively affected by it, we had a teacher at school that was from Austria that had her whole family killed by Hilter, a few kids, being kids would give her the hi-hitler in german classes that would make her break down in tears not understanding what had happened to her. Just a simple joke for kids had bad concenquences.
Yeah, I see what Planko is saying and agree. But I also understand that other people don't want what happened to them trivialised as a joke for dress ups. There's no right or wrong answer, but "don't be a dick" is a pretty good cover-all policy for these types of situations.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So I almost started delving into that, but then thought "fuck, I'm going to make a tldr post aren't I"

Yep, being a carnt about it is pretty carnty, no getting away from that. That sort of example isn't parodying the assholes, it's intent is just to get a laugh out of upsetting someone. Very much in the not cool side of this.

Old mate DP wore a costume at his own party, in every likelihood without any war survivors around, and in all likelihood with the intent of trying to be funny. Now I'd say that the harm done there would have been minimal, but now we've got this being dragged all over the news and pushing it in everyone's faces, most of whom would have never known. So now we have a situation where a beat up of mock offence is giving something that probably did zero harm the opportunity to potentially do actual harm to some of the few remaining people that are genuinely triggered by images like that.

Dziadzia took me to see Indiana Jones flicks, chock full of Nazis, indi even got Hitler's autograph! I was a wee fella but didn't cotton on to any massive issue with him, there may have been but he was just stoked to be out with his grandson. there's tons of kkks and Nazis in movies and tv, all have the potential to trigger the poor buggers that lived through this stuff for real. But we don't get all mock offended by that, we get our knickers in a twist about a prince and a premier where we can sell some headlines with fake righteousness. That's offensive.

Hate DP for being a Bible bashing twat, or one of a myriad of other reasons if you want, no stress. I feel like being offended on someone else's behalf is pretty disingenuous though...

Litenbror

Eats Squid
So I almost started delving into that, but then thought "fuck, I'm going to make a tldr post aren't I"

Yep, being a carnt about it is pretty carnty, no getting away from that. That sort of example isn't parodying the assholes, it's intent is just to get a laugh out of upsetting someone. Very much in the not cool side of this.

Old mate DP wore a costume at his own party, in every likelihood without any war survivors around, and in all likelihood with the intent of trying to be funny. Now I'd say that the harm done there would have been minimal, but now we've got this being dragged all over the news and pushing it in everyone's faces, most of whom would have never known. So now we have a situation where a beat up of mock offence is giving something that probably did zero harm the opportunity to potentially do actual harm to some of the few remaining people that are genuinely triggered by images like that.

Dziadzia took me to see Indiana Jones flicks, chock full of Nazis, indi even got Hitler's autograph! I was a wee fella but didn't cotton on to any massive issue with him, there may have been but he was just stoked to be out with his grandson. there's tons of kkks and Nazis in movies and tv, all have the potential to trigger the poor buggers that lived through this stuff for real. But we don't get all mock offended by that, we get our knickers in a twist about a prince and a premier where we can sell some headlines with fake righteousness. That's offensive.

Hate DP for being a Bible bashing twat, or one of a myriad of other reasons if you want, no stress. I feel like being offended on someone else's behalf is pretty disingenuous though...

Been avoiding this because of the massive shit show that it is but hey it's the internet so my 2c. Absolutely @Plankosaurus this mock outrage from a bunch of people who don't bat an eye at real suffering that is happening right now is complete BS.

Everyone has covered most of the issue as I see it except for one aspect. The fact that the far right of the liberal party, most likely at the direction of gaming NSW is trying to take down the democratically elected premier of Australias most populous state because of proposed gambling reforms that could help tens of thousands of Australians. This isn't about Nazism it's a corporate hit job to blackmail the liberal party to prevent gambling reform.

Whether you are left or right this is truly concerning and everyone should be worried about this.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I think the reason this stuff gets bandied about infront of everyone (other than the reason to cast him in a bad light by people that don't like him) is that people deserve to know the man, and that includes these type of indiscretions. Because regardless of how you feel about it, others may want to know and form their own thoughts on it. If they find it offensive, whether for themselves of on behalf of others doesn't really concern anyone but them.

We get offended on behalf of others all the time. The covid thread is full of it.

With the indi movies, or any other movie with this subject peppered through it, people know what they're getting when the chose to watch it. So if they're likley to be offended, they generally stay away.

I'm a first gen aussie pole too. My grandma had some harrowing stories and when I visited Poland, I was taken to the holocaust museum and Auschwitz. Even at the age of 9, the gravity of what occured there doesn't escape you. 30 years later, I can still remember details about those sites with absolute clarity and the profound nature of those feelings are as strong today, as when I was seeing these things then. Maybe even more so.

Personally I don't care who gets offended or doesn't or whether it's on other people's behalf, but what I do know is that just because somone doesn't have direct ties to it, doesn't mean they don't have a deep sense of understanding or even guilt of how fucked up this part of history was. It was offensive, just like slavery was offensive, or the taliban is offensive. How somone else feels about it, shouldn't be the subject of somone elses opinion of why their feelings about it aren't valid.

ForkinGreat

Been avoiding this because of the massive shit show that it is but hey it's the internet so my 2c. Absolutely @Plankosaurus this mock outrage from a bunch of people who don't bat an eye at real suffering that is happening right now is complete BS.

Everyone has covered most of the issue as I see it except for one aspect. The fact that the far right of the liberal party, most likely at the direction of gaming NSW is trying to take down the democratically elected premier of Australias most populous state because of proposed gambling reforms that could help tens of thousands of Australians. This isn't about Nazism it's a corporate hit job to blackmail the liberal party to prevent gambling reform.

Whether you are left or right this is truly concerning and everyone should be worried about this.
Indeed. Clubs NSW are the real evil cunts here, and the far right of the liberalshitstain party are their glove-puppets.

dominic perrottet is an obstacle to their goals of ma$$ive profit by any means, and 'power' for the ultra conservative liberalshitstains.

DP just happened to do something fucked and wrong at age 21, and it was photographed. There was no excuse for it, and it should have nipped his political career in the bud, but it was saved for a rainy day, and then weaponized by leaking it to the media for maximum damage at the appropriate time, decades later.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I think the reason this stuff gets bandied about infront of everyone (other than the reason to cast him in a bad light by people that don't like him) is that people deserve to know the man, and that includes these type of indiscretions. Because regardless of how you feel about it, others may want to know and form their own thoughts on it. If they find it offensive, whether for themselves of on behalf of others doesn't really concern anyone but them.

We get offended on behalf of others all the time. The covid thread is full of it.

With the indi movies, or any other movie with this subject peppered through it, people know what they're getting when the chose to watch it. So if they're likley to be offended, they generally stay away.

I'm a first gen aussie pole too. My grandma had some harrowing stories and when I visited Poland, I was taken to the holocaust museum and Auschwitz. Even at the age of 9, the gravity of what occured there doesn't escape you. 30 years later, I can still remember details about those sites with absolute clarity and the profound nature of those feelings are as strong today, as when I was seeing these things then. Maybe even more so.

Personally I don't care who gets offended or doesn't or whether it's on other people's behalf, but what I do know is that just because somone doesn't have direct ties to it, doesn't mean they don't have a deep sense of understanding or even guilt of how fucked up this part of history was. It was offensive, just like slavery was offensive, or the taliban is offensive. How somone else feels about it, shouldn't be the subject of somone elses opinion of why their feelings about it aren't valid.
That's a fair enough viewpoint, but where does it end? I mean Nazis are a sure fire hit the world over, but there's plenty of other stuff that some find offensive and others don't.

I'm not saying a nazi uniform is a tasteful dress up, I'd lose respect immediately for anyone I saw doing it, probably would say something about it too. Blackface, kkk as well. How many terrorist costumes have you seen? Maybe devout Christians don't like witch costumes? Did you stop to think how a redneck feels about that redneck costume? Why are you dressed like a skeleton? My brother has a skeleton! Where does it end?

Again, it's this outcry from people that pretend to give a crap that I'm talking about. And dragging up things that are perceived as offensive with sales or political agendas on their minds, completely disregarding the actual offence or distress it might be causing. If DP is a fuckwit (he's a liberal, so let's just assume he is) then vote him out based on that. This feels like a polarising distraction with very little actual substance being made out to be more than it is.

(I choose this one to weigh in on because I have some heritage. I can't presume to know how darker skinned folk might feel about mock outrage on their behalf so I stay out of the racist stuff for the most part)

ForkinGreat

That's a fair enough viewpoint, but where does it end? I mean Nazis are a sure fire hit the world over, but there's plenty of other stuff that some find offensive and others don't.

I'm not saying a nazi uniform is a tasteful dress up, I'd lose respect immediately for anyone I saw doing it, probably would say something about it too. Blackface, kkk as well. How many terrorist costumes have you seen? Maybe devout Christians don't like witch costumes? Did you stop to think how a redneck feels about that redneck costume? Why are you dressed like a skeleton? My brother has a skeleton! Where does it end?

Again, it's this outcry from people that pretend to give a crap that I'm talking about. And dragging up things that are perceived as offensive with sales or political agendas on their minds, completely disregarding the actual offence or distress it might be causing. If DP is a fuckwit (he's a liberal, so let's just assume he is) then vote him out based on that. This feels like a polarising distraction with very little actual substance being made out to be more than it is.

(I choose this one to weigh in on because I have some heritage. I can't presume to know how darker skinned folk might feel about mock outrage on their behalf so I stay out of the racist stuff for the most part)

DP dressing up as a dickhead fascist as a uni student, and the photo leaking decades later at a crucial moment IS a polarizing distraction.

Maybe devout Christians don't like witch costumes? Did you stop to think how a redneck feels about that redneck costume? Why are you dressed like a skeleton? My brother has a skeleton! Where does it end?
Dale, that's your distraction, but not super polarizing. Racism, comprehensively shitting on someones religion (except for christian paedophiles & scientology - fuck those people - and the corpse of L. Ron Hubbard & George Pell), Offending the Jews and/or criticizing the state of Israel, and taking the piss out of Mohammad are the primary dodgy things, that are generally regarded as fucked in and of themselves or in the case of criticizing Israel or Mohammad - can make life tough, or you could get beaten or killed respectively. Skeletons, Witches or rednecks - I doubt anyone cares in Oz, by and large.

In Murica, yeah, maybe don't get too mouthy and slappy on Jeebus. 'Specially them rightous gun-totin Jeebus freaks that take their version of Jeebusianity super seriously and believe their bible is an infallible historical document.

Flow-Rider

Burner
A lot of things we do today will be cancel culture in 20 years time, it's like I say "you're crazy"when someone does something silly, someone could look at it and say I'm mocking someone that has mental illness, mental illness is a serious issue these days. There should be a statute of limitations on this shit.

Oddjob

A lot of things we do today will be cancel culture in 20 years time, it's like I say "you're crazy"when someone does something silly, someone could look at it and say I'm mocking someone that has mental illness, mental illness is a serious issue these days. There should be a statute of limitations on this shit.
Springtime for Hitler never gets old.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

How do you know the outcry is pretend? Do you know all those people personally and how they actually feel? You might think you know, but chances are you don't. Leave them be. The world and people are complicated.