The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It annoys the f*** outta me that they won't. But they're not worried out what they can do with the extra tax income, they're preparing for the campaigning at the next election. They said they wouldn't scrap it before this election, so if they do it now it'll be ammo for the Libs next go round. You know all the usual - "They said they wouldn't stop the tax cuts. But now they're taking your money and giving it to immigrants!"

Shit outcome, but given how stupid the average Aussie voter is I kind of understand…

Flow-Rider

Burner
It annoys the f*** outta me that they won't. But they're not worried out what they can do with the extra tax income, they're preparing for the campaigning at the next election. They said they wouldn't scrap it before this election, so if they do it now it'll be ammo for the Libs next go round. You know all the usual - "They said they wouldn't stop the tax cuts. But now they're taking your money and giving it to immigrants!"

Shit outcome, but given how stupid the average Aussie voter is I kind of understand…
I'm the son of immigrants where's all this money? :D

Labor was handed a lemon of an economy and most people will blame them for all the problems they inherited.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Well, obviously - because the liberals are the better economic managers. Everyone knows that.
Heh, the Coalition has totally burnt their reputation in that area, can't argue with numbers that big.

Methinks the ALP are just trying to keep the ship steady. They know that if they can keep disciplined and gain a reputation to be relied upon they'll be in power for a decade, especially given the Libs are busy creating culture wars, celebrating the demise of moderates in their ranks (see CPAC last weekend) and being terrified of the woke transgender bogeyperson under the bed that's going to make their kids gay.

Given that level of opposition, they'd be reluctant to generate headlines with a BROKEN ELECTION PROMISE - the scars of the carbon tax from 2010 would still be running deep among their frontbench.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Lots of other things are also a free pay rise...and some of those can be shared with others at the same time.
If your employer offered you an extra 15k to take home or 1k and some story about how some cunt you dont know now can live in the inner suburbs for cheap, I highly doubt youd take the second option.

Like I said. Leave my tax cuts alone.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
If your employer offered you an extra 15k to take home or 1k and some story about how some cunt you dont know now can live in the inner suburbs for cheap, I highly doubt youd take the second option.
This is going to make me sound like a pious wanker, but I would actually take the second option. Really. I'm very fortunate enough that I'm not in the financial shit (or likely to be) and anything that combats rising inequality is a good thing. Otherwise we'd just be more like the UK or the USA where a rising tide of disenfranchised, pissed off poor people are really, really getting into populism. And nothing good is coming from that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Like I said. Leave my tax cuts alone.

If they offered me $10k or improved free public health, free public transport, and free tertiary education...I'd happily forego the $10k bonus. I already live well within my means and would love to know I can catch a train for free to a sweet ride spot (I currently pay for the pleasure), crash my bike (highly likely), get a free ambulance ride (rather than pay or use insurance), get free hospital treatment in a timely manner, free dental reconstruction, and rehab..

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
This is going to make me sound like a pious wanker, but I would actually take the second option. Really. I'm very fortunate enough that I'm not in the financial shit (or likely to be) and anything that combats rising inequality is a good thing. Otherwise we'd just be more like the UK or the USA where a rising tide of disenfranchised, pissed off poor people are really, really getting into populism. And nothing good is coming from that.
I think presented with the choice in reality you wouldn't be so alturistic. Source: human nature.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
If they offered me $10k or improved free public health, free public transport, and free tertiary education...I'd happily forego the $10k bonus. I already live well within my means and would love to know I can catch a train for free to a sweet ride spot (I currently pay for the pleasure), crash my bike (highly likely), get a free ambulance ride (rather than pay or use insurance), get free hospital treatment in a timely manner, free dental reconstruction, and rehab..
Not if any of things didn't matter to you. If you were going to make use of them, sure. The personal benefit is significant, but the reality is that most people who will be beneficiaries of that level of tax break dont make use ofthese things or have no more use for them.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Our various governments have tried to solve inequality through various means and litterally squandered billions with no real visible net change and plenty of curruption abound and in some cases made it worse. I dont trust them with running any social program at all, especially at a cost to myself. You would litterally be better off taking the tax break, getting a mortgage on a shitty 1br somewhere and plonking any old homeless or disadvantaged person in it yourself and having the tax break pay the mortgage. At least you'd get tax benefits and cap gains while actually making a real difference to one person. Want to make a difference? Do it. Don't trust the govt to get it right.