Speeding is bad, mmkay?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's the holier than thou, stupid rationalisation you and plank keep using. You ARE putting people at risk - the driver of the fast car, yourself and anyone else within crashing distance. If the speeding driver attempts any sort of dangerous passing manoeuvre, whether overtaking into oncoming traffic or undertaking, any resultant collision would not have happened if he could have just driven past unhindered.

Noone is defending the speeder or tolerating speeding. That's just another one of your cheap rationalisations for persisting with this. The speeder is wrong. Blocking them is also wrong, because it could lead to an even more dangerous situation. It's the same principle that outlaws all forms of vigilante activity. Yours is harder to apprehend, but by no means any less unacceptable. The road is not a playground, and playing games blocking people is just adding to the chaos that contributes to accidents, high speed ones at that.

It annoys me too when people fly past me at dangerous speed, for all the same reasons it annoys you. I just don't happen to believe that playing a little "fuck you buddy" game contributes to the overall safety of the situation. Again, it is just your cheap rationalisation for having a bit of a laugh at someone else, I just hope noone gets hurt or killed as a result of your stupidity.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Fuck off slippy, I'm turning right so sit in the right lane, if I can block some chunt for a while, while in the middle of my right turn maneuver he's not going anywhere anyway and then the next red light stops them. I'm not endangering anyone and most of you who drive to the speed limit probably do the same thing you just don't realize it.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fuck off slippy, I'm turning right so sit in the right lane, if I can block some chunt for a while, while in the middle of my right turn maneuver he's not going anywhere anyway and then the next red light stops them. I'm not endangering anyone and most of you who drive to the speed limit probably do the same thing you just don't realize it.
Such an eloquent way to make your point. I'm clearly not talking about performing a legal right hand turn, I'm talking about deliberately blocking people as both you and plank have said you do. Every time the argument takes a turn for the logical you change the topic just enough to cloud the issue. Stick to the topic, blocking people deliberately, it's dangerous, face it.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
both me and stirk have dropped the original machismo, come down to reality and explained the circumstances around our 'vigilante' :Banane18: behavior. Theres no big crusade going on here, we're not dressing up in spandex and fighting the good fight, we're just exercising our right to drive on the road in a way that doesn't breach any laws and shouldn't mean jack shit to anyone else driving within the constraints of the law.

if you want to change my mind, truly give enough of a shit to do that, then go speak to the police and get them to go on record saying we should do what we can to get out of the way of speeders. i'll concede, apologize, and wont knowingly do it again...

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Backwards argument. Go to the police and ask if they approve of people blocking the overtaking the lane to slow down speeders. If you really think your argument holds water, put it to the same test you're suggesting we try.

Besides, we're not even talking about "getting out of the way of speeders", but deliberately getting in their way. You're just twisting the topic again.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Wow didn't think this thread would explode like this. Change thread to the driving/dickheads thread or something? Some quick responses to some things:

-Don't sit in the right lane on purpose, people just jump into dickhead mode and try to get around dangerously, like the guy who forced me off the road because I was still accelerating from a red light but obviously not quickly enough.

-Most of the time it's some older bloke in a fourby cruising at whatever speed he wants to in the right lane causing everyone else to move around. Compensating...

-I fuck with people from time to time, but I usually give it time, so five minutes down the line when they see me pass and then have to sit behind me that usually teaches them rather than winding them up even more.

-If you're in an mx5, don't cut me off right in front of a red light while I'm in a 2.5 ton patrol, I will (and did) win.

Another quick question, not even going to bother bringing it up in court because they'll just say I should have gotten my speedo reset: my tires are slightly bigger to help off road getting to races/camping etc. Will my speedo read fast or slower now? Probably only 0.5" bigger radius, guys who did the tires said not to worry, but just interested.

A good one from tonight just now was a guy on a scooter lane splitting a street toward the main road. Don't do it so quickly you end up stopped IN the left lane of Mulgoa road with traffic coming at ya at night.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my tires are slightly bigger to help off road getting to races/camping etc. Will my speedo read fast or slower now? Probably only 0.5" bigger radius, guys who did the tires said not to worry, but just interested.
You will be travelling faster than what your speedo is saying.

stirk

Burner
What about the dickheads who tailgate you while in the fast lane, you are traveling at the same speed as all the other cars in the right lane but dickhead thinks it can swerve into the left lane and overtake you on the inside with next to bugger all room to do so safely, they give up and sit on your tail again. I laugh at those fuckers too.

Still can't see how I'm the dangerous one.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Backwards argument. Go to the police and ask if they approve of people blocking the overtaking the lane to slow down speeders. If you really think your argument holds water, put it to the same test you're suggesting we try.

Besides, we're not even talking about "getting out of the way of speeders", but deliberately getting in their way. You're just twisting the topic again.
i'm not the one that cares whether i change. i have a couple of mates in the force though so i will ask next time i see them, but not going out of my way to do it.

its one and the same thing though isn't it? the intent doesn't change the act in this case IMO

hazza6542

Eats Squid
If I'm speeding in the right lane I won't move out of the way. 120 I might move over but if I'm on my way cruising at 130 on a big highway, nah you're going fast enough behind me pal. Appreciate my draft and settle down.

stirk

Burner

Hell-yeah! I'll (safely) get in the way of someone doing something wrong.

Bailed up 10 moto's a couple of months back for riding in National Park. Gave em what for!

You probably would just hide in the bush and watch them pass by. :boink:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
If I'm speeding in the right lane I won't move out of the way. 120 I might move over but if I'm on my way cruising at 130 on a big highway, nah you're going fast enough behind me pal. Appreciate my draft and settle down.
Seriously?

If you think 130 is in any way acceptable, you need your licence taken away permanently.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
130km/h is legal in the NT.

The NT roads are waaaay crappier than an empty east coast freeway.

Go figure.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Seriously?
Sorry but I don't believe that.

Those speed limits have been there for how long on the same roads? Not going to stretch this out but speeding isn't necessarily the problem (not saying it isn't), but our license system doesn't teach us shit. Look through a lot of Euro countries, safe driving courses are all pushed heavily and mandatory in a lot of places. If 50 years ago 110 was deemed safe in my 50+ year old VW, perhaps modern cars packed with tech could safely handle those speeds if everyone was educated on how to be safe at those speeds. Autobahns statistically have a smaller ratio of crashes/drivers than our highways, because people are educated on how to drive safely.

Being reviewed on how you can handle driving through your local area and your ability to do a three point turn safely on a quite back street isn't enough.

EDIT: Man I really don't have much ground to stand on having just lost my license do I?

stirk

Burner
Northern Territory is a great place to take the rig isn't it.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about the dickheads who tailgate you while in the fast lane, you are traveling at the same speed as all the other cars in the right lane but dickhead thinks it can swerve into the left lane and overtake you on the inside with next to bugger all room to do so safely, they give up and sit on your tail again. I laugh at those fuckers too..
That we can agree on.

Still can't see how I'm the dangerous one.
You're not. You're one of two dangerous people. The point that has eluded you.

I'm off to hide in a bush now. I forgot something about fighting with pigs...

stirk

Burner
You're not. You're one of two dangerous people. The point that has eluded you.

I'm off to hide in a bush now. I forgot something about fighting with pigs...
oooo, sly pig quip there.

I do actually understand what you are saying and see the logic behind the 'enraging the bull' argument I just disagree that I am the one causing any danger in the first place.