Speeding is bad, mmkay?

redbruce

Eats Squid
both me and stirk have dropped the original machismo, come down to reality and explained the circumstances around our 'vigilante' :Banane18: behavior. Theres no big crusade going on here, we're not dressing up in spandex and fighting the good fight, we're just exercising our right to drive on the road in a way that doesn't breach any laws and shouldn't mean jack shit to anyone else driving within the constraints of the law.

if you want to change my mind, truly give enough of a shit to do that, then go speak to the police and get them to go on record saying we should do what we can to get out of the way of speeders. i'll concede, apologize, and wont knowingly do it again...
While your firm self belief is evident, your argument is based on the assumption that you are right, that your actions only have positive outcomes for all, and there are no negative unintended consequences.

All without a shred of evidence to validate, a gross assumption at best.

As Scblack has eluded, there is a growing body of evidence to support a causal link between emotional state and risk.

For starters (there are many more contemporary articles but I have just read the OP's last post on acceptable speed, and well, the title appealed in this instance): http://library.ctr.utexas.edu/digitized/cats/cats_rr_48.pdf,

Blocking someone who is traveling at a higher speed is not a noble, nor effective community action. For the majority it simply signals you as a self proclaimed tosser, they too are likely to be bound up in their own self focused little world.
For the knobs who are completely convinced and self delusional about their right to do as they please (and can always seem to come up with a justification, 'rational' or otherwise, but not supported legally and generally flawed morally - 'cause there are always examples that the holier than thou is in fact guilty of other societal indiscretions), it simply pisses them off, gets them more emotional and irrational. They are the ones who will eventually get past and vent their enraged spleen on the community further down the road. Well done!

Your dogged self belief, lack of knowledge of the relevant laws and acknowledgement of other views, and dismissal of contrary perspectives simply labels you as a part of the problem, not the cure.

Sorry but I don't believe that.

Those speed limits have been there for how long on the same roads? Not going to stretch this out but speeding isn't necessarily the problem (not saying it isn't), but our license system doesn't teach us shit. Look through a lot of Euro countries, safe driving courses are all pushed heavily and mandatory in a lot of places. If 50 years ago 110 was deemed safe in my 50+ year old VW, perhaps modern cars packed with tech could safely handle those speeds if everyone was educated on how to be safe at those speeds. Autobahns statistically have a smaller ratio of crashes/drivers than our highways, because people are educated on how to drive safely.

Being reviewed on how you can handle driving through your local area and your ability to do a three point turn safely on a quite back street isn't enough.

EDIT: Man I really don't have much ground to stand on having just lost my license do I?
Yep, but at least you acknowledge it. There is of course also nothing to stop you doing advanced training/education to improve your skills and knowledge.

The first thing is to stop blaming the 'system' or others and accept responsibility for your own actions.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
bwhahahahah another thing I do on the road... if someone is tailgating me I'll decide it's time for a windscreen clean and turn on my windscreen washers, half the water ends up hitting the tailgater's windscreen also causing them to turn on their washers.

Chain reaction effect if there is enough chunts in a close line.

One time a big old dirty fourby got a spray, they then tried to wipe their windows but they had no water in their washer tank, I bet that pissed them off!!!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
You're not. You're one of two dangerous people.
lets just pretend for a second that i'm not a nasty 6foot 33 year old in a big ugly navara menacing the roads by moving into a lane that someone wants to speed in, and change it so that i'm a genuinely lovely 5foot 85 year old in a little white subaru thats forgotten i'm in the right lane. am i still half responsible for the actions of jonny dipshit when he makes a dangerous manouver to get around me?

i just dont subscribe to this line of 'your part of the problem' - i'll accept that i'm not part of the solution (at least in my hinderance) if i have to, but wont cop for a second that some numbnuts making a stupid move is somehow my fault. IMO, its akin to saying a chick in a skimpy outfit is 'asking for it', and is utter bullshit.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
bwhahahahah another thing I do on the road... if someone is tailgating me I'll decide it's time for a windscreen clean and turn on my windscreen washers, half the water ends up hitting the tailgater's windscreen also causing them to turn on their washers.

Chain reaction effect if there is enough chunts in a close line.

One time a big old dirty fourby got a spray, they then tried to wipe their windows but they had no water in their washer tank, I bet that pissed them off!!!
that was me you prick :rant:

i'd go out and fill up the reservoir, but its bloody raining again

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
If i have some dude tail gating me, depending on my mood, I will slow down just to piss them off, and then as they go to over take me, I'll speed up to the speed limit so they have to go way over the speed limit to get pass me and I'll hope that there's a speed camera/cop near by to ping him.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
change it so that i'm a genuinely lovely 5foot 85 year old in a little white subaru thats forgotten i'm in the right lane. am i still half responsible for the actions of jonny dipshit when he makes a dangerous manouver to get around me?
Why not change it to a 1000 year old Martian, driving a flying disc?

It's less fanciful than said 85 year old, getting out of the car park without driving through a shop front, while burning their clutch to cinders...

redbruce

Eats Squid
If i have some dude tail gating me, depending on my mood, I will slow down just to piss them off, and then as they go to over take me, I'll speed up to the speed limit so they have to go way over the speed limit to get pass me and I'll hope that there's a speed camera/cop near by to ping him.
Still maintaining the stellar standard of your usual posts.

At least, if nothing else, you're consistent.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
While your firm self belief is evident, your argument is based on the assumption that you are right, that your actions only have positive outcomes for all, and there are no negative unintended consequences.

All without a shred of evidence to validate, a gross assumption at best.

As Scblack has eluded, there is a growing body of evidence to support a causal link between emotional state and risk.

For starters (there are many more contemporary articles but I have just read the OP''s last post on acceptable speed, and well, the title appealed in this instance): http://library.ctr.utexas.edu/digitized/cats/cats_rr_48.pdf,

Blocking someone who is traveling at a higher speed is not a noble, nor effective community action. For the majority it simply signals you as a self proclaimed tosser. They too are likely to be bound up in their own self focused world.
For the knobs who are completely convinced and self delusional about their right to do as they please (and can always come up with a justification, 'rational' or otherwise, but not supported legally and flawed morally - 'cause there are always examples that the holier than thou is in fact guilty of other societal indiscretions), it simply pisses them off, gets them more emotional and irrational. They are the ones who will eventually get past and vent their enraged spleen on the community further down the road. Well done!

Your dogged self belief, lack of knowledge of the relevant laws, the acknowledgement of other views and dismissal of contrary perspectives simply labels you as a part of the problem, not the cure.

Yep, but at least you acknowledge it.

its always harder to rebut when someone makes a calm, rational, considered and researched argument. call me some names please, makes life much easier :heh:

people are responsible for their own actions, if they are going to throw their cranky down at me, then they would have done it to the next car up ahead, or the one in front of that. these are the people that anger and disdain should be directed at, these are the people that shouldn't be on the road, and these are the people that are responsible for any outcomes caused by their own stupid decision.

you've made me think, i'll give you that. not sure it'll have any real effect, but theres definitely a new angle to look at after today...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Why not change it to a 1000 year old Martian, driving a flying disc?

It's less fanciful than said 85 year old, getting out of the car park without driving through a shop front, while burning their clutch to cinders...
can you not picture me as a sweet little 85 year old lady? or are you making some broad generalization that perhaps the older generation shouldn't be on the road? (i'm not touching that one, all yours :tape2: )

redbruce

Eats Squid
its always harder to rebut when someone makes a calm, rational, considered and researched argument. call me some names please, makes life much easier :heh:

people are responsible for their own actions, if they are going to throw their cranky down at me, then they would have done it to the next car up ahead, or the one in front of that. these are the people that anger and disdain should be directed at, these are the people that shouldn't be on the road, and these are the people that are responsible for any outcomes caused by their own stupid decision.

you've made me think, i'll give you that. not sure it'll have any real effect, but theres definitely a new angle to look at after today...
"Thowing their cranky"... yes you are right, but what if your (discretionary) interaction makes that worse, for all involved. You may not be the fundamental cause, but your contribution is that none the less.

I share your frustration, indignation and anger at the behaviour (add red light runners to the list, I see at least 6 per day in my 26Km each way commute). However, at the end of the day, your interaction also hasn't got them off the road.

So, what has it achieved other than the application of your view of community correction, to no actual beneficial community outcome.

Last edited:

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
change it so that i'm a genuinely lovely 5foot 85 year old in a little white subaru thats forgotten i'm in the right lane. am i still half responsible for the actions of jonny dipshit when he makes a dangerous manouver to get around me?
Noone's responsible for Johnny's actions but Johnny. But absolutely the 85 year old would have contributed to the entire situation. It's the 85 year old's responsibility to not be in the overtaking lane if she's not overtaking. Again, two idiots (no matter how old and pleasant) have created a dangerous situation. So that argument's a complete fail. Face it, you can't justify what you're doing, except to yourself.

Wait, I'm getting dirty. Back to my bush, sorry.

stirk

Burner
There is the old ( misquoted version) saying: "if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem" (Eldridge Cleaver).
And your point is?

Is there an effective solution?

Are we really part of the problem?

Go back and do some more editing.

Edit: hahaha you did go back and edit.

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Yep, but at least you acknowledge it. There is of course also nothing to stop you doing advanced training/education to improve your skills and knowledge.

The first thing is to stop blaming the 'system' or others and accept responsibility for your own actions.
Check first post, not trying to blame anyone for outcomes here, no point fighting that system if I can't win. Even though I am a free man 'travelling' in a 'vessel' across the free land and have every right to drive an unregistered car without a license, buttttt might not get into that...:tape2:

I did a basic safe driver course when I lost my license on my reds (was being a dickhead that time, no excuse), it was more of a 'this is why I'm wrong, sorry' than actually teaching people how to be safe. I'm trying to get more at the point of teaching people really how to control a car in dangerous situations. I've watched people first hand freak out and close their eyes and take their hands off the wheel when confronted with something they have to respond to immediately, being the passenger and holding the wheel straight, what the fuck? Those people I consider a bigger risk on the road than my doing over the limit on a three lane highway every now and then. I'm not saying it's right, just that everyone now is learning to drive in new, automatic cars that are easy to drive and have no idea what to do when put in a dangerous situation. I think everyone should have to resit a license test every few years, 5, 10 maybe? Bloody old folks..

I was cut off once in a really dangerous spot and her response? 'I've got more experience on the road than you, sweetheart'. Well, maybe you've been on the road longer, but shit that's no excuse for driving up the shoulder and swerving into my lane last minute next to a merging truck because YOU weren't using that shitload of experience you have.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Noone's responsible for Johnny's actions but Johnny. But absolutely the 85 year old would have contributed to the entire situation. It's the 85 year old's responsibility to not be in the overtaking lane if she's not overtaking. Again, two idiots (no matter how old and pleasant) have created a dangerous situation. So that argument's a complete fail. Face it, you can't justify what you're doing, except to yourself.

Wait, I'm getting dirty. Back to my bush, sorry.
i didn't say she wasn't overtaking, and didn't say i wasn't either. johnny dipshit is the one thats created a dangerous situation, no-one else. the situation is as safe as being in the left lane if we take away johnny dipshit, so me and bingo betty havn't created jack shit.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Also, can I go and get a new license card as I please? Half tempted to keep one in the car, regularly drive without my wallet and I've been caught out by it before, cbf having to present it to a police station within the 24 hours etc.

stirk

Burner
Also, can I go and get a new license card as I please? Half tempted to keep one in the car, regularly drive without my wallet and I've been caught out by it before, cbf having to present it to a police station within the 24 hours etc.
When you renew your licence they punch a hole in the old one and give it back to you, keeping that old one in the car might scrape you through getting another fine otherwise carry your wallet.

Helps with identification too.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I did a basic safe driver course when I lost my license on my reds (was being a dickhead that time, no excuse), it was more of a 'this is why I'm wrong, sorry' than actually teaching people how to be safe.
That is a part of teaching people how to be safe. Its the critical first step that helps get the culture right.

I'm trying to get more at the point of teaching people really how to control a car in dangerous situations. I've watched people first hand freak out and close their eyes and take their hands off the wheel when confronted with something they have to respond to immediately, being the passenger and holding the wheel straight, what the fuck? Those people I consider a bigger risk on the road than my doing over the limit on a three lane highway every now and then. I'm not saying it's right, just that everyone now is learning to drive in new, automatic cars that are easy to drive and have no idea what to do when put in a dangerous situation.
They are both wrong, and in the wrong moment equally as dangerous.

I think everyone should have to resit a license test every few years, 5, 10 maybe? Bloody old folks..
Despite your view on the value of the test in the first place?

I was cut off once in a really dangerous spot and her response? 'I've got more experience on the road than you, sweetheart'. Well, maybe you've been on the road longer, but shit that's no excuse for driving up the shoulder and swerving into my lane last minute next to a merging truck because YOU weren't using that shitload of experience you have.
My point! Attitude.