Specialized rear shock "Brain" rebuild with pictures & now forks too

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Thinking this arrangement of brass machined up and silver soldered into a lower assembly, doing away with the rubber pellet/grub screw and bringing a Schrader valve out the end.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455341578.854514.jpg

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Redbruce, your fork has the brain fade knob on the bottom or top?
Time to re enter this thread instead of watching over it :spy:
The three epics I'm familiar with working on (that have a brain fork) all have adjustments at the top. Ranging from 2013 to 2015
Never actually seen one at the bottom, quite probably before my time of working on bikes!!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Time to re enter this thread instead of watching over it :spy:
The three epics I'm familiar with working on (that have a brain fork) all have adjustments at the top. Ranging from 2013 to 2015
Never actually seen one at the bottom, quite probably before my time of working on bikes!!

2014 non sworks World Cup came with bottom adjust brain fade knob.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Since you are the resident brain surgeon I was wondering if it's possible to retrofit BRAIN system onto an non brain fork ?
Just to balance the bike, my EPIC only comes with a brain rear shock but non brain fork.
When the rear brain is fully open the bike feels more balanced

Older threads on mtbr suggested that you can send your fork to specialized australia for a brain transplant, but I'm not sure if they do that locally.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Specialized rear shock "Brain" rebuild with pictures

Since you are the resident brain surgeon I was wondering if it's possible to retrofit BRAIN system onto an non brain fork ?
Just to balance the bike, my EPIC only comes with a brain rear shock but non brain fork.
When the rear brain is fully open the bike feels more balanced

Older threads on mtbr suggested that you can send your fork to specialized australia for a brain transplant, but I'm not sure if they do that locally.

It's is possible depending on your fork. Any Sid/reba forks built from 2011 (and newer) can take a brain cartridge from a 2011 onwards Sid/reba. If you can obtain one second hand, no need to get Specialized's help, you can have a bike shop install for you, with a lowers service this should be 30mins of work. There are two varieties, top and bottom brain fade adjust. They are fictionally the same apart from the location of the knob. One you can adjust while riding, one you have to get off the bike.

I've seen a few second hand on eBay in the States for about 150usd.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Lower cartridge rod creation is under way. Off the shelf Schrader valve turned down to mate onto a new shaft, easier to silver solder one on vs trying to machine a workable Schrader valve seat into a rod.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455883702.336573.jpg

rss

Cannon Fodder
Offending Orings. Very loose fitting in the receiving holes at each end. O rings have gone hard or were undersized to begin with.
Hello,

How do you dissasemble this part of the shock?

Thank You,

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Hello,

How do you dissasemble this part of the shock?

Thank You,
Wow I'm sorry I missed this, never got the push notification, hope I'm not too late.

To remove the hose from both ends you need to compress the wire c clip. It is a bastard to do. You need two small pins to push into the holes on either side. But before you start, you need to spin the c clip in position till the opening is at the 6 or 12 o'clock positions so it compresses easily.

The first time I tried, it took me an hour to get one c clip out. As for pins, I found sewing machine needles cut down worked.

Do NOT scratch the inner surface, this is a sealing face.

rss

Cannon Fodder
Wow I'm sorry I missed this, never got the push notification, hope I'm not too late.

To remove the hose from both ends you need to compress the wire c clip. It is a bastard to do. You need two small pins to push into the holes on either side. But before you start, you need to spin the c clip in position till the opening is at the 6 or 12 o'clock positions so it compresses easily.

The first time I tried, it took me an hour to get one c clip out. As for pins, I found sewing machine needles cut down worked.

Do NOT scratch the inner surface, this is a sealing face.

Tank you link1896,

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Specialized rear shock "Brain" rebuild with pictures

Thinking this arrangement of brass machined up and silver soldered into a lower assembly, doing away with the rubber pellet/grub screw and bringing a Schrader valve out the end.

View attachment 324998
Step sideways slightly. Almost joined the fuckwits thread introducing brass into an aluminium environment.

Bought some 2011 T3 ally, oh it machines like a dream.

So a dual air 29" Spring assembly will get chopped and thread into this. This gives me a Schrader valve on the exterior of the fork for IFP pressure tuning.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461306781.057367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461306799.572918.jpg

Last edited: