Specialized rear shock "Brain" rebuild with pictures & now forks too

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Orings required to rebuild the top adjust brain fork cartridge. N70 are fine

position...............................................................................I.D........C.S

top cap to csu26.51.8
brain adjuster191.5
top cap top damping rod61
rebound adjuster2.91.78
damping body top and bottom16.52
brain to inside of IFP body201
IFP to upper body of brain211.5
IFP173
IFP body to existing lower fitting211.5
IFP chamber bottom to hollow rod101.5

not listed is the main damping rod seal, it is a custom sized shaft seal that looks more like a miniature power steering pump shaft seal then a rod seal.

I'm going to turn up a new two piece seal head for it. If your shaft seal is leaking, your only choice is to make a new seal head or send the cartridge back to Specialized. :(

Last edited:

jopiedh

Cannon Fodder
Hello everybody..help please..can anyone tell me how to open hose from shock body.?

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

jopiedh

Cannon Fodder
Wow I'm sorry I missed this, never got the push notification, hope I'm not too late.

To remove the hose from both ends you need to compress the wire c clip. It is a bastard to do. You need two small pins to push into the holes on either side. But before you start, you need to spin the c clip in position till the opening is at the 6 or 12 o'clock positions so it compresses easily.

The first time I tried, it took me an hour to get one c clip out. As for pins, I found sewing machine needles cut down worked.

Do NOT scratch the inner surface, this is a sealing face.
I really need this..do you have pict to show?tks

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Tried to turn down a solo air piston rod to connect to the fork cartridge to allow IFP pressure tuning but found the solo air rods taper on the inside till their ID is 7.8mm and I was trying to bring its OD down to 7.7mm for Schrader and

FAIL

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462535109.485055.jpg

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Link , is all this relative or just isolated to Specialized ? Although I think answering my own question its all a mix ? X fusion fox specialized with a bit of RS mixed in ? Either way admiring your resolve .

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Link , is all this relative or just isolated to Specialized ? Although I think answering my own question its all a mix ? X fusion fox specialized with a bit of RS mixed in ? Either way admiring your resolve .

It's a huge mix of manufacturers. These shenanigans are isolated to Specialized brain technology ( for now )

Latest generation Epic's (2014 till now), use Rockshox forks with Specialized's own brain cartridge. Rear shock is fox. Same inertia valve in both assemblies ( with different shim stack configs) so I'm guessing Specialized is making the custom parts themselves.

Hoses for rear shocks have never changed from what I've seen ( apart from shape at shock end)

In parallel to this project, I have the somewhat dormant Frankenfork project. Just need to finish the brain fork cartridge rebuild first. Plan b might be modifying a cartridge leg rod and adding an external Schrader valve for now, but want to be able to move cartridges between RS Sid and Frankenfork.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I`d suggest the closer you get to the end , you will be kidnapped by the big S never to be seen again .

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Latest generation Epic's (2014 till now), use Rockshox forks with Specialized's own brain cartridge. Rear shock is fox. Same inertia valve in both assemblies ( with different shim stack configs) so I'm guessing Specialized is making the custom parts themselves.

Hoses for rear shocks have never changed from what I've seen ( apart from shape at shock end)

In parallel to this project, I have the somewhat dormant Frankenfork project. Just need to finish the brain fork cartridge rebuild first. Plan b might be modifying a cartridge leg rod and adding an external Schrader valve for now, but want to be able to move cartridges between RS Sid and Frankenfork.
From what I know in the last two years there was an admit by Specialized , not public , that there was a problem with the forks . All components went back and were all replaced with complete RS hardware .

link1896

Mr Greenfield
From what I know in the last two years there was an admit by Specialized , not public , that there was a problem with the forks . All components went back and were all replaced with complete RS hardware .
Interesting. I did ponder if the reason for such super secret squirrel business was a silent mass Warranty exchange program.

I've had a few PMs from people on the inside, no mention of this.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Interesting. I did ponder if the reason for such super secret squirrel business was a silent mass Warranty exchange program.

I've had a few PMs from people on the inside, no mention of this.
Limited to pros .

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Short term solution until my 8v1 and 5v1 Schrader taps and dies arrive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462592069.215072.jpg

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Fork cartridge needs to be vacuum bled, can't get all the air out doing a hand job.

Turn up a new IFP from delrin ( or anodise aluminium ) and go to a bigger bleed port fitting, I like m4

Or

turn up a male unc no 4 40tpi tiny fitting that will be super delicate for vacuum bleeding.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The beginnings of a bleed port adapter. Unc4 40 is bloody tiny. 2.8mm diameter. Successfully drilled a 1mm hole up the middle.

This bleed port adapter will be a two part assembly, soldered together so if/when I trash the tiny thread it's not a complete write off

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463775540.104394.jpg

link1896

Mr Greenfield
And it's works. Wow locked out forks again. Like the rear, IFP pressure tunes brain threshold.

Easy to get lost with setup.

Err, just a few variables.

Brain cartridge oil viscosity.
Brain IFP pressure
IFP depth
Rebound setting
Brain fade setting
Positive air pressure
Negative air pressure

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463897279.752731.jpg

Last edited: