Specialized rear shock "Brain" rebuild with pictures & now forks too

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Compression damping has been reduced, bottomed out over the usual drop offs with the same air pressure in the air Spring ( as set by the auto sag, 220 psi)...
Just giving the shock a service can make it feel like it has less comp damping because of the reduced stiction. Does the brain have some sort of comp damping adjuster? Going to a heavier weight oil is very much like adding clicks on your comp (and reb) adjuster. Heavier oil has almost no difference on damping in high speed events, it really only has an effect on flow through the free bleed circuits and past the shims on very small shim deflections.

So changing oil weight can be a useful approach where you've run out of clicker adjustment, but a huck to flat can be a fairly high speed damping event that will not be affected much by going heavier on the oil.

Also, even though the IFP pressure does very little to affect the overall spring rate of the shock, reducing the IFP volume or upping the IFP pressure can assist with ramping up the spring rate just before bottom out.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Just giving the shock a service can make it feel like it has less comp damping because of the reduced stiction. Does the brain have some sort of comp damping adjuster? Going to a heavier weight oil is very much like adding clicks on your comp (and reb) adjuster. Heavier oil has almost no difference on damping in high speed events, it really only has an effect on flow through the free bleed circuits and past the shims on very small shim deflections.

So changing oil weight can be a useful approach where you've run out of clicker adjustment, but a huck to flat can be a fairly high speed damping event that will not be affected much by going heavier on the oil.

Also, even though the IFP pressure does very little to affect the overall spring rate of the shock, reducing the IFP volume or upping the IFP pressure can assist with ramping up the spring rate just before bottom out.

Are you Mr Ohlins by any chance?

I see where you're going with the rebuild has reduced stiction, that's much more probable then the published oil specs being off.

only damping adjust is rebound in the main chamber but it's only the metering rod.

I don't feel the bottom outs when the occur, the landings feel smooth, so it's not a major imbalance

The brain assembly has a click adjuster that sets the amount of free bleed into the chamber up against the IFP, it's a small hole all the way down to a VERY small hole for the low force impacts, comp shim stacks open for bigger events in parallel but not adjustable.

You'd suggested a comp shim stack mod in the past, maybe I need to look at an adjustable comp shim stack, or just tune. Seems to be comp and reb shim stacks in both main body and reservoir.

tweaking IFP position is an easy first step.

thank you summit, more food for thought.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
and o rings for the older X fusion shock,

PositionMaterialIDCS
brain adjust knobbuna 70A3.681.78
top outer of reservior can to machined headbuna 70A222
IFPbuna 70A183.55
nitrogen stopperbuna 70A222
brain piston ODbuna 70A201
hose end x 2 (polyurethane)polyurethane4.751.8
bearing (black) to damper bodybuna 70A21.951.78
bearing (bsilver) to damper bodybuna 70A151.5
bearing to damper shaft seal??????
aircan to damper body quad ringbuna 70A203.55
metering rodbuna 70A2.571.78
aircan to headbuna 70A34.51.8
damping rod to headbuna 70A102

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Bad things happen when IFP pressure goes lower then air can pressure. It lets gas into the damping oil, game over :(

Had to do another bleed, managed to do it with assembly still on bike :)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Bad things happen when IFP pressure goes lower then air can pressure. It lets gas into the damping oil, game over :(

Had to do another bleed, managed to do it with assembly still on bike :)
280psi feels like factory fresh WC tuned brain. Still going strong about 14 rides later. Only issue is the o ring to seal the brain fade shaft properly makes adjustment hard, but it's not a regular adjustment.

paceman101

Cannon Fodder
Was directed to this thread from HuckingKitty whilst trying to find info about Brain rebuilds.
Great reading!

I have an s-works Enduro from 2004, and I think the 'brain' has finally gone (loss of the nitrogen I think), the shock itself seems fine (holds air pressure).
I've managed to get a second hand RP3 so that I can have a go at the brain, and this thread is certainly going to help - although I doubt the seals will be the same size! And I don't have the tools to build up a vacuum pump for bleeding, so I'll need to be creative there, but nothing lost, nothing gained!

Once again - good job sir. Out of interest - what is your day job?!?

Jason

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Was directed to this thread from HuckingKitty whilst trying to find info about Brain rebuilds.
Great reading!

I have an s-works Enduro from 2004, and I think the 'brain' has finally gone (loss of the nitrogen I think), the shock itself seems fine (holds air pressure).
I've managed to get a second hand RP3 so that I can have a go at the brain, and this thread is certainly going to help - although I doubt the seals will be the same size! And I don't have the tools to build up a vacuum pump for bleeding, so I'll need to be creative there, but nothing lost, nothing gained!

Once again - good job sir. Out of interest - what is your day job?!?

Jason

Welcome Jason.

Photos please. Lots of them. I'm unsure how the long arm extension bolts up to the damper tube end. Please take some photos. I fear it's proprietary.

Don't need to vacuum bleed the older shocks without hoses, you can assemble in a bucket of oil.

Parts needed for rebuild should be generic and available.

I'm a middle Managment paper pusher these days, but I developed my mechanical and electronic skills maintaining cinema equipment.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Redbruce and I started on the rebuild of his 2011 Epic's rear brain assembly today.

We stripped down and measured all o ring grooves and bores.

Found very little IFP gas charge left. Found oil on the gas side of the IFP. Found the IFP had been rocking about and has some wear marks from striking the wall, so the oil was black around the IFP. Found the design is different again to the other two assemblies I've had apart, some o rings are the same. We found a few o rings had severely swollen, which were probably the cause of the oil leak into the air chamber, which then probably let the IFP bottom out.

Looks like a mix of X fusion and Fox parts to me.

Going to again make a custom fitting for the IFP gas charge with a Schrader valve so redBruce can tune the brain to his liking. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454142558.793469.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454142574.527310.jpg

link1896

Mr Greenfield
the following o rings should work for the 2011/2012 rear brain assembly. Again as best as I could grooves and bores were measured and stretch and crush were calculated instead of trying to measure old swollen o rings

positionIDCS
brain adjust knob51.5
aircan to damper tube quad ring203.5
IFP17.153.52
nitrogen stopper202
brain ass seal10.71.5
hose end x 2 (polyurethane)4.51.8
metering rod to inside of damper shaft31.5
air can to head342
damping body to bearing19.52
bearing to damping rod (polyurethane)12.372.62
IFP fill port31.5
bearing to air can24.993.53
travel indicator20.291.6
travel indicator20.11.6

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Specialized rear shock "Brain" rebuild with pictures

For the life of me I cannot see or feel the negative air equalisation notch in the air sleeve. When we disassembled there was some negative air. I'm as confused as Mike Tyson in a library. Hmmm

link1896

Mr Greenfield
For the life of me I cannot see or feel the negative air equalisation notch in the air sleeve. When we disassembled there was some negative air. I'm as confused as Mike Tyson in a library. Hmmm

Before negative air chamber equalisation notches ( or auto sag), the process of removing and reinstalling the air can recharged the negative chamber. Something we take for granted these days

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Before negative air chamber equalisation notches ( or auto sag), the process of removing and reinstalling the air can recharged the negative chamber. Something we take for granted these days

Redbruce's air can is the black "fox" on the left. My spare on the right from an older 2011 sworks frame. I'm thinking of turning up a ring with room for a schrader valve (like a rp23's large air can), snap ring grooves in my air can ( it can be the sacrificial lamb) , drill a hole in the aircan, to make a negative fill port on Bruce's shock so we can tune negative air pressure, instead of removing the aircan to reset negative chamber air pressure, which on an epic is a major pita.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'd just machine a "dimple" on the inside of the air can at the point where you want equalisation to occur. Measure the dimple position off of one of your air cans that actually has the dimple. Use a dremel etc. with a small (2mm diameter) rotary burr. Give it a good polish afterwards to remove any sharp edges. You will not need much of a "dimple" because of the relatively high pressures involved. If you can, measure the wall thickness of the can so you know how much material you have to play with.