Should I buy a car at auction?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
condition report shows service history is missing. always suspect
Not necessarily. Total pain in the arse but Skoda hasn't had hard copy log books for a while. My Octavia is 2016 and the same. Anyone in an auction house opening the glovebox looking for stamps in a book won't find them. Will see if I can add the VIN to the Skoda app and pull service history @LPG.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Agreed. This is my main concern.

On the optimistic point of view this could easily be a trade in that seemed too much effort to sell (not well known brand, family car in manual tr, no service history)
Not necessarily. Total pain in the arse but Skoda hasn't had hard copy log books for a while. My Octavia is 2016 and the same. Anyone in an auction house opening the glovebox looking for stamps in a book won't find them. Will see if I can add the VIN to the Skoda app and pull service history @LPG.
Ooh, yes please. That would be awesome!

LPG

likes thicc birds
Agreed. This is my main concern.

On the optimistic point of view this could easily be a trade in that seemed too much effort to sell (not well known brand, family car in manual transmission, no service history) that is being sent to auction to move it on.

On the less than optimistic POV is there is something under the hood that is problematic. If I move on this I need to factor in costs for repairs. I am not against ordering parts overseas and waiting covid shipping times to get them to save money. I can't go far anyway and we don't need the 2nd car for a while

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Ooh, yes please. That would be awesome!
No luck, can add by VIN but won't pull any data. App is total shit in AU with basically none of the functionality it gets in the EU. I would try calling a Skoda dealer service centre, quote VIN and ask for service history. They'll be able to give you a list of when/where serviced if it's been done by dealer network. If there's no info then yah, could be a bit rogue.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just adding my own experience with the engine in question. I drive a 2013 Skoda Yeti (155,000km) and my dad has a similar vintage VW Passat (100,000km) both with the same 2L diesel as the Scout. I’ve not had one issue with Yeti, I just service every 12mnth/15,000 and it keeps ticking along. Think my timing belt and water pump were changed at 90,000. As a side, it’s also DSG and have not had any issues with that either, but expect it will eventually cost me $$$ in the future.
Dad had a slightly premature water pump failure at around 80,000km from memory. Apparently the bearings fail in them and they begin to leak. An extended family member had a similar issue in a Skoda Superb petrol but my brothers Octavia has not had any such problem, so from my sample size of 4 cars it’s 50/50.
I think dad needed an EGR clean as it was caked with oily soot. I should inspect mine but I haven’t noticed any changes in performance.
Other than being a dirty diesel, they run great and are both torquey and frugal on the juice.

LPG

likes thicc birds
No luck, can add by VIN but won't pull any data. App is total shit in AU with basically none of the functionality it gets in the EU. I would try calling a Skoda dealer service centre, quote VIN and ask for service history. They'll be able to give you a list of when/where serviced if it's been done by dealer network. If there's no info then yah, could be a bit rogue.
Thanks, I just called my local skoda dealership and they said it has a full service history that is up to date. They didn't elaborate but that gives me some confidence.

I've put in a lower offer to see what comes back. I've had a look at costs for things that might come up and I'm happy to take the risk. If I get it we'll see if I get taught a lesson.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If the car's not an ex-gov fleet car, I'd avoid it like the plague, particularly if you can't test drive it. Unless it's something rare, exotic or both with known providence then for the seller it makes no economic sense to put a car in an auction. Ergo, it's probably got something wrong with it.

You might get lucky, but I think the odds are stacked against you.
People are stupid, most govt vehicles go for more than they would in a car yard, I worked at one of the biggest car auctions in Brisbane. They turn them over pretty quickly here, some not even 100k on the clock. If you don't know much about cars they are the safest bet for most people.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I've put in a lower offer to see what comes back. I've had a look at costs for things that might come up and I'm happy to take the risk. If I get it we'll see if I get taught a lesson.
If it's in good nick, they're a great car. Loads of stuff around in wreckers and heaps of great non-dealer mechanics thanks to the shared VW platform.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Reactions: LPG

boyracer

Likes Dirt
These auction scenarios all ways seem to work out well dollar wise for mates who buy and sell at the drop of a hat. Cayennes, Q7 , Rangie sports - always shit tons of 'em on there...I look a lot but can't commit having personally seen a Range Rover swallow 10 K in a major service. But geez those Cayennes sound nice...
If you're keen and not afraid to flip, go for it.

Reactions: LPG

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Yes, the likely known issues with that era of car is the timing belt and water pump, assuming that they're similar to the slightly older Octavia / Tiguan that I have. Expect extra servicing cost for the Haldex as the Scout is all wheel drive. You'll miss the DSG servicing cost as its a manual.
The Octavias for some reason I can't fathom are not that popular, but they're bigger inside than the equivalent Tiguan / Yeti.
Air conditioning compressors are known to be rather shit as well. However, if it has a service history that's up to date, not so bad, as keeping up service intervals is critical to longevity of these cars.

safreek

It’s an auction yard with 1000’s of cars and people. Just not feasible. As much as it sucks.
Exactly, have seen too many tales of tragedy from people buying bargains at auction. I reckon if you can't afford the realistic market price you probably can't afford the repair bills if it's fucked.
If I buy a dud I want to at least be able to tell myself I fucked up and should of noticed the problem. It's no consolation but at least you can flog yourself more,

LPG

likes thicc birds
Yes, the likely known issues with that era of car is the timing belt and water pump, assuming that they're similar to the slightly older Octavia / Tiguan that I have. Expect extra servicing cost for the Haldex as the Scout is all wheel drive. You'll miss the DSG servicing cost as its a manual.
The Octavias for some reason I can't fathom are not that popular, but they're bigger inside than the equivalent Tiguan / Yeti.
Air conditioning compressors are known to be rather shit as well. However, if it has a service history that's up to date, not so bad, as keeping up service intervals is critical to longevity of these cars.
The 2015 is the next gen motor from the earlier 2.0 diesel. The timing belt is due in 4k km so I'd sort that as soon as I get it. I'd sort out the water pump at the same time, this might be recommended In the service intervals I think