Should I buy a car at auction?

Flow-Rider

Burner
So my current car is a bit fucked. A 2006 xtrail that has a fucked catalytic converter(throwing engine code), head gasket on its way out (recently shown signs of the sealant not sealing right anymore after 4-5 months so not good) and an oil cooler oil leak (drips onto the exhaust making an hot oil smell when it gets hot, fixed this 1.5y ago but the ). Likely to be around 4-6k to sort out by my guess. If it was running right I could sell for ~4k so not really worth it.

Something sparks some curiosity and yesterday I jumped on Manheim auctions and spot a skoda scout 2015 110tdi model in manual with 96k on the clock. It's exactly what I've wanted but there aren't many around when I have been in the market. I have a preference for a manual car and there aren't many wagons that suit.

So I threw a bid on as 10k was an excellent price and no one was bidding. I winnitnbut don't get the reserve. I get a call and can buy it for just over 13k once I consider transport to me and buying fees. It will need rego (just expired so can be inspected ad renewed easily).

Current value is ~ 17-22k so I'm in a pretty good position. I'm assuming it needs a decent service including a timing belt for the 100k coming up. I also am in lockdown so if anything unexpected comes up in an inspection ( after buying it) I can likely shop around/ import parts without too much frustration. They are known known be reliable, particularly the 2.0L VW diesel engines. So I'm hoping there isnt too much risk but I'm unlikely to put money into it that would bring jt beyond its resale value as far as I can see

Anyone have any warnings to consider? I won't be borrowing so I wouldn't be putting myself in a financial issue if it is a lemon.
Easy fix maybe ? Pretty common on new cars for leaves to block up drains, even the aircon drains block and fill the cabin up with water.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@LPG shit, should have thought about that sorry, is it a sunroof model? Pretty common with Skodas and some other VAG cars with the pano sunroof that the little drain pipes that run down the a-pillar from the sunroof tray get blocked up and cause a leak that leaves you with a wet footwell. Have a quick search on the Briskoda forums and you’ll find plenty of talk to remedy - from memory whipper snipper cable shoved through from the top is the preferred method.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Does it have roofracks? Common issue with racks that bolt through the roof, otherwise lift carpets (do this straightaway) and have an evil mastermind pour water around each windows.
It has roof rails so not the issue. All window and door seals look perfect but I'll check. It seems unlikely as the door lips seemlike they would direct water out rather than in if water came through from this.

I had a manual Mazda years ago that developed a small firewall crack somewhere up high. Would slowly drip water on the carpet when washed and during rain. More so when driving as pressing the clutch made water run down the back of the brake pedal much more.
Just a thought if you can’t find any other leak.
This is possible. The firewall looked perfect from what I saw but it isn't on the hoist.

Easy fix maybe ? Pretty common on new cars for leaves to block up drains, even the atircon drains block and fill the cabin up with water.

I didn't see any signs of water in these areas, I'll double check though. There are some leaves back there but ot all looks dry with no signs of water.

@LPG shit, should have thought about that sorry, is it a sunroof model? Pretty common with Skodas and some other VAG cars with the pano sunroof that the little drain pipes that run down the a-pillar from the sunroof tray get blocked up and cause a leak that leaves you with a wet footwell. Have a quick search on the Briskoda forums and you’ll find plenty of talk to remedy - from memory whipper snipper cable shoved through from the top is the preferred method.
It is a sunroof model, this sounds about right and I have whipper snipper cable! I'll do some research.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Does it have foam sound proofing under the carpet? A lot of euro cars do and it holds water like a bastard….

The Megane has it and when the scuttle drain under the wipers blocked and flooded the passenger footwell, had to pull the seats and centre console out and remove the carpet to get the foam underlay out… Was never ever going to dry otherwise!

LPG

likes thicc birds
Does it have foam sound proofing under the carpet? A lot of euro cars do and it holds water like a bastard….

The Megane has it and when the scuttle drain under the wipers blocked and flooded the passenger footwell, had to pull the seats and centre console out and remove the carpet to get the foam underlay out… Was never ever going to dry otherwise!
It's not quite foam. I seem to be making headway with towels being stuffed between the carpet and the sound proofing material and changed every few hours (wfh has its perks). I think it should be dry by next week end. Not sure the pedestal fan I've had running for 3 days straight will last though.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It has roof rails so not the issue. All window and door seals look perfect but I'll check. It seems unlikely as the door lips seemlike they would direct water out rather than in if water came through from this.

This is possible. The firewall looked perfect from what I saw but it isn't on the hoist.

I didn't see any signs of water in these areas, I'll double check though. There are some leaves back there but ot all looks dry with no signs of water.

It is a sunroof model, this sounds about right and I have whipper snipper cable! I'll do some research.
If the tube at the sunroof is blocked, I would expect water to come down through the hood lining, unless the drain tube has separated in the footwell area.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I think you might be on to it. I started to research and then decided just to have a look and jam some whipper snipper cable in there. I didn't get it through but I did pull it out and it was wet and had obviously pushed through dirt, seems blocked. I might have to do some disassembly to unblock.

If the tube at the sunroof is blocked, I would expect water to come down through the hood lining, unless the drain tube has separated in the footwell area.
From what I started to read in briskoda it definitely does drain into the footwell area. I'm not sure why that seems to be the default but it seems to be where it ends up.

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you might be on to it. I started to research and then decided just to have a look and jam some whipper snipper cable in there. I didn't get it through but I did pull it out and it was wet and had obviously pushed through dirt, seems blocked. I might have to do some disassembly to unblock.

From what I started to read in briskoda it definitely does drain into the footwell area. I'm not sure why that seems to be the default but it seems to be where it ends up.
Roof lining is more water resistant than you'd think. Rather than going through it runs along and then down the pillars into footwells.
Sunroof drain blockages also have a habit of filling boot cavities as well, not so great if its full of expensive electronic units as in some euro's.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Well after fiddling with the whipper snipper wire it now seems to drain at a good pace and equally on both sides. I wish I had poured water down before the fiddling to double check that it was an issue but the fact that the drivers side seemed to have water in it (wet line after removal) and the passenger didn't suggested that it is the likely issue. I might try and keep some whipper snipper line with the rego papers to remind me to push it through and make sure water drains every year.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Quick update with a happy ending. Overall I'm happy with the decision.

I have the car and eventually got it to my mechanic to change the belts, water pump, filters, fluids etc. No apparent issues. Actually got to drive it more than 3km to a ride on Saturday and work today and it drives very well, effortless highway cruising and handles very well.

Trip to work used ~ half the fuel compared to the xtrail. The Xtrail used about 9.3 per 100km average over a tank. This reported 4.7L/100km (internal calculation). There has been a bypass near me open up saving me about 8 traffic lights which would have helped a bit but It left me pretty impressed.

Anyone want tonpay covid price for a 2006 xtrail in 1a mechanical condition unless you ask questions?

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m going into @beeb territory here …….
buuuuuuuut , is it Titanium, high pivot with some anti squat characteristics, giving me ‘pop’off the berms .

YEW