Should I buy a car at auction?

LPG

likes thicc birds
I reckon if you can't afford the realistic market price you probably can't afford the repair bills if it's fucked.
If I buy a dud I want to at least be able to tell myself I fucked up and should of noticed the problem. It's no consolation but at least you can flog yourself more,
I wouldn't say I can't afford the going rate, but I prefer to put my money elsewhere. From a bit research and having a decent mechanic that is happy for me to supply parts using ebay i think it is unlikely that I would exceed the going rate of the car, particularly if I don't use dealership prices on parts and labour. I am after a manual octavia wagon either way.

I'll see what happens. I expect to find out if my offer is accepted Monday. If not it goes to auction again.

safreek

I wouldn't say I can't afford the going rate, but I prefer to put my money elsewhere. From a bit research and having a decent mechanic that is happy for me to supply parts using ebay i think it is unlikely that I would exceed the going rate of the car, particularly if I don't use dealership prices on parts and labour. I am after a manual octavia wagon either way.

I'll see what happens. I expect to find out if my offer is accepted Monday. If not it goes to auction again.
Yeah man, not talking about you specifically, just seen too many people try to save money with auctions and wind up paying a fortune for their "saving"

Reactions: LPG

K.C.

Likes Dirt
The 2015 is the next gen motor from the earlier 2.0 diesel. The timing belt is due in 4k km so I'd sort that as soon as I get it. I'd sort out the water pump at the same time, this might be recommended In the service intervals I think
do the lot on the cooling system, thermostat block, oil cooler, EGR cooler if it has one, all the connector couplings.
in fact do them every 50k or 3 years whichever comes first.
vw run insanely high coolant temp to save fuel, make more power and better emission.
temp gauge will stay on 90 when warmed up, connect obd2 and you will see fan will not even turn until it reaches 110+
also check the owner manual, many euros has a 7 years or 10 years airbag + seat belt replacement "service"

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check Takata - open recalls ?
check any other open service action/ recalls
looks like it was a trade from Northshore Mitsubishi - need a better ggoGle - historic
ensure ppsr is clear
factor in freight/ rego/ rwc - call it$2k

but good units , keep on top of the Haldex unit - easy to Change oil / filter
full service , timing belt , water pump as others have suggested - should get to 280,000km

or 300,000km .

mark22

Likes Dirt
My current vehicles one sedan and one ute came from Manhiem both Qfleet.
All in all I have purchased or helped friends buy 8 cars from them and never had a problem.
Last one 11 months ago 2015 Kia Cerato Premium, ex Qfleet for a friend.
I always do my research on what brand and model, as mentioned in this thread you can pick up high end brands Mercedes, BMW etc relatively cheap but are costly to maintain.
You have done your research on services which is a big deal on modern cars, hope all goes well.
I'm always happy bidding against the dealers as they have their limit, private buyers sometimes go a bit crazy in the moment.
Attended 2 auctions to get the Cerato and beat a dealer for it.

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
So my offer was accepted. As previously I offered a bit lower to give myself a bit more repair budget to play with.

Anyone want to take friendly bets on what I find?

looks like it was a trade from Northshore Mitsubishi

but good units , keep on top of the Haldex unit - easy to Change oil / filter
full service , timing belt , water pump as others have suggested - should get to 280,000km or 300,000km.
Thabks good info. Where did you see that it was traded in at Northshore mitsi?

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do a vin search ,I’m on an iPad whatsit , and can’t remember the ‘ historical ‘ google search engine - need a smarter man than I !

LPG

likes thicc birds
Might as well update this. The car came last week. I'm in lockdown and haven't registered it so I haven't been able to drive it except for a trip to the mechanic to get the blue slip. It drove well for all 3km each way.
Issues
- The drivers side floor was soaked (front and rear floorpan area). It didn't smell mildewey so it must have been somewhat fresh. It was much too soaked to be a leak somewhere and only was the floor, not the seats. Not quite sure what to think of it, did someone at the dealership wash it with a window or sunroof open? Blast water through a cabin vent when hosing somewhere? Spill a bucket of warter?It really seems to be isolated to the floor with no signs of perished rubber. It definitely happened since the previous owners had it otherwise it would smell of mildew. I've lifted bits of the carpet and have it under the carport with doors open and a fan running and towels soaking and evaporating the water. I'll leave it there for a few extra days once it feels dry to hopefully prevent any smell and leave some dessicated in there for a bit after that.

- The damage to 2 alloy wheels is a deeper gouge than I expected. Nothing a file or flap disc can't clean up, if I can be bothered.

- There was a bit of belt squealing while it warmed up. It is probably due to it sitting/rain and I'll have the timing belt changed soon anyway.

- I was initially worried about the black oil colour but apparently that is normal for modern diesels, particularly with the emissions tech on them, even after a few hu died km after an oil change.

I'm usually pretty good at identifying and diagnosing issues and so far I am pretty happy to have taken the risk. I just need to make sure it doesn't end up smelling mildewey

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Does it have roofracks? Common issue with racks that bolt through the roof, otherwise lift carpets (do this straightaway) and have an evil mastermind pour water around each windows.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a manual Mazda years ago that developed a small firewall crack somewhere up high. Would slowly drip water on the carpet when washed and during rain. More so when driving as pressing the clutch made water run down the back of the brake pedal much more.
Just a thought if you can’t find any other leak.