Right Foot or Left Foot Foward?

Which is your prefered foot to have forward?

• Right

Votes: 223 50.3%
  • Left

Votes: 220 49.7%

• Total voters

thundergoose

Likes Dirt
Im right handed and right footed. And i have my right foot forward i think... Not something that i really think about when riding.

Jimmy Mac

Likes Bikes
I use my left leg for power (wheelies etc and when i first pedal away from a stop) but i often feel more comfortable right foot foward in technical terrain... am i ambidextrous? (if that isn't the longest word i've ever used in a post....)

molzy13

Likes Dirt
I have my left foot forward so when i x-up my right foot and leg wont get in the way of my wheel and bars if you know what i mean

Last edited:

Tho-R

Likes Dirt
My theory is:

When you get pushed, whichever foot you put backwards to balance is which foot you will have forward.

I have tried it and it worked.

Tell me what your experiences are?

Cletus

Likes Dirt
im right handed and left footed. the poll's saying goofy's are winning wah hooo!!!

goofy pride:D

D

Deleted member 18757

yeeew left foot forward. i write with my left hand and am left foot forward on a bike, but i throw/do everything else with my right...

DWN-HLR

Banned
i launch in 4X with left foot forward but coast with right foot forward.................and i am both handed if you know what i mean....i can throw equally as good with both arms and write with both :D n just something i picked up when i broke my writing hand last year in the middle of yr 10 certificate

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
These threads amaze me. I must'v seen about 4 threads like this, or similar on farkin in the last 2 years. And they allways attrack a crowd. Pretty much all the people I know ride right. Odd.

Oh, and that gate start/manualling start thing; If you use your "weak" foot first, it's better, because it means your strong foot is already moving, and doesn't have to start the force, only accelerate it. I think.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The "fast foot" in athletics is the foot which you put back on the blocks. To find this foot you stand and get a guy to push you over, which ever foot goes foward to stop you falling over is the fast foot. My fast foot is the right but my foot foward on a bike is my left when riding. I also hurdle with my left foot as lead which is strange as the lead leg is ussualy the fast foot.

Northern Hemi

Likes Bikes
A few years back I started messing around with this.
After some awkward turns, I will now set up for a corner with the outside foot forward and rotate the crank down to 6 o'clock to the apex and pedal out.
The reason I started thinking about this was because I felt better turning right with my left (dominant) foot forward.
My theory went like this: My hips were open to the turn when I went right and closed when I turned left with the left foot in front.
After getting used to it, it seems to pay off in a few ways...
-I have stated pedalling right up to the braking point of most turns.
-My hips and shoulders are always alinged into the turn.
-A quarter crank in the drive direction gets the outside foot to 6 o'clock. No more crabbed pedals when I crank forward, with the inside foot leading.
This probably seems like I'm out-thinking myself, but it feels really good, once you get it. As well, I'm a long-time snowboard instructor (and now President of the Canadian S/B Instructors... Bow before me.) so I get off on this tech shit.

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
ive been thinking about this kinda stuff lately, and ive been concentrating on spin tricks.
when you spin, should you spin with the lead foot inside or outside?

i personally think it would be easier with the leed foot on the out side so you can "push" the bike around. although when i think about i naturally feel like spinning anti-clockwise, i really should be spinning clockwise. this also ties into something i heard that its better to spin in the direction that dosent feel comfortable because youll try harder to get around.

meh, or am i just all sorts of wrong lol.

shiznik

Banned
Im pretty much ambidextrous, all I do with my right hand is wright, but I am capable of doing it the other way....dunno if thats common.
Left foot forward feels more natural.

mullers

Likes Bikes
I just did a few days as a bike mtb guide/instructor an the instruction that the company gave was if you kick with your left, left back and vice versa for the right. but hey i feel comfortable with either foot, depends which side your gonna whip it out i guess.

I'm a left foot forward type of guy.

It's similar in surfing you have natural and then you have goofy(Right Foot)
Anyone who has a passion to put them selves into testing conditions will become proficient in both, but hey we all have a favourite.

singlespeed4life

Likes Bikes
ive been thinking about this kinda stuff lately, and ive been concentrating on spin tricks.
when you spin, should you spin with the lead foot inside or outside?

i personally think it would be easier with the leed foot on the out side so you can "push" the bike around. although when i think about i naturally feel like spinning anti-clockwise, i really should be spinning clockwise. this also ties into something i heard that its better to spin in the direction that dosent feel comfortable because youll try harder to get around.

meh, or am i just all sorts of wrong lol.

If you have your right foot forward you spin to the left, and vice versa. Some people spin the same direction as there lead foot but it's much more difficult. But practise makes perfect, so find yourself a decent sized bowl and just keep trying to spin out until you get it (or stuff your back wheel). Have fun.:)