Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I had a supercharged Elise for a bit, was eye-opening. Handling you couldn't find the limits of on road, but just a bit too much to use often.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
It's gotten in there somehow, something that someone has dismantled and washed maybe an oil cooler, or timing cover, unless there is a small leak in the engine that changes with heat.
So I remembered that the engine had been left outside while I was laid up with broken bones the last time it was out of the car, and the flywheel bolt holes open directly into the crankcase. It got some rain water in it when its cover blew off. I never started it with water in the sump and it was removed and cleaned out during the engine install. But condensation got into things from the water that had gotten in.

So it never got into the oil galleries, but it obviously got into the bearing spaces. A little surface rust on the edges of the journals as well once I got the crank out. Its gone to be polished/cleaned and the machine shop says it will be just fine.

Some not so great wear patterns on the main bearing shells. Asked him to check the crank is straight while its on the lathe getting polished....

Most on #1, a little on #2 and some on #5 - other two are fine…
IMG_5109.jpeg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When I had my (real) mini I did all the stuff Vizard recommended and it was huge huge fun for a broke student and almost broke grad. Threw that thing around mountain ranges and on the dirt. Two cars later I bought an ex group E 323i bm. Bored to 2.5L with cam upgrade and modded to within mm of the rules if not over. Brakes weren't bm etc. I tried the same on the edge driving and quickly realised where I could spin the mini out and stay mostly out of trouble the bm would now plow through someone's fence and into their kitchen. At 8/10s or less it ate just about everything on the road at the time but to really explore limits you needed track days. I had guys on bikes wave me past on range roads. That car was as slow as fuck compared to anything remotely sporty now. Get something competent like an 86 or mx5. They meet your criteria for straight line performance and at 8/10s will put a smile on your face up a mountain range. It will be cheap to own, have a squillion upgrades available and when you move on easy to sell.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Or, a random:

2+2 Lotus with a Toyota engine, so at least that should be reliable while trim pieces fall off around you.
Just don't. https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/evora-clutch-replacement-9-000-and-the-supercharger.123712/

Working on those is a nightmare. You literally have to split the car in half to change a clutch.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Price of entry vs upkeep obviously something to consider on any car. Or buy new and cop depreciation. One way or another it's going to cost you.

Play within your limits obviously, but buy something that actually tickles your fancy. That's my outlook on a car-as-toy anyway.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Left field option and not ‘ horribly expensive ‘ Mini Cooper s or JCW - super fun to drive and ‘ spirited enough ‘ from 2015 ish are reasonably priced

I am biased as have just bought a bigger one - countryman

Found the JCW ones a bit like a happy puppy - always wanting to gooooooooooo

makes you smile when you drive it hahaha

Haakon

If you don't want a hot hatch, it really is only the MX5 (or its Fiat twin which is probably better value these days) or an 86. Totally agree that performance beyond that level is essentially academic on public roads.

Spend the difference on a new bike.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The new 86 is a remarkable car. A mate did a 1:54 at Phillip Island in a showroom stock car. No tyres, no pads or zorst. For those who've driven there that's pretty respectable for a factory car with a warranty.
Turbo 370s are a hoot but only 2 sears, avoid 350z.
NC Mx5 with a 2300cc or 2500cc is also a good option but also 2 seats

Oddjob

For anyone interested in why you shouldn't own a BMW past its warranty period.

This is a 2000s M3 (E46) water pump.

They haven't improved since then.

This is a 1980-1990s Nissan RB series water pump next to it's fancy N1 motorsport brother.

Note that Nissan reduced the number of blades by 1 in the N1 for high rpm racing.

Haakon

This is a 1980-1990s Nissan RB series water pump next to it's fancy N1 motorsport brother.

Note that Nissan reduced the number of blades by 1 in the N1 for high rpm racing.

What’s wrong with the Beemer pump?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Err... What is your point here? People shouldn't own BMW's because they have water pumps? RB motors are superior because they share a similar water pump design to 70's pushrod V8's?

Here's a engineering marvel of a coolant pump that ought to get your motor running!

...from a Commodore V6.

Such performance car!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What’s wrong with the Beemer pump?
The engine has fallen off. I don't get it either. My E21 had a hard life for 15 years and cost me consumables (rear tyres were apparently limited to 8,000km) and a clutch throw out bearing nose because that had been machined (poorly) to suit a non genuine clutch.

Oddjob

Err... What is your point here? People shouldn't own BMW's because they have water pumps? RB motors are superior because they share a similar water pump design to 70's pushrod V8's?

Here's a engineering marvel of a coolant pump that ought to get your motor running!

...from a Commodore V6.

Such performance car!
They have a funny habit of disintegrating with age and rpm. It's apparently the biggest source of BMW engine failures, especially in the M cars.

The aftermarket units are made of metal and cost less than OEM. A lot of the other ancillaries are expensive crappy plastic as well. Sometimes replacing a cracked coolant distributor is an engine out job. The same thing applies to the other German manufacturers.

RB motors have their own problems with failing oil pumps but these don't occur until the engine is well outside of OEM horsepower and revs.

That Holden pump would be rubbish with a high revving turbo engine like a turbo RB.