Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Luck was on my side, rear seat wasn't bolted in (morally I can never let anyone in the back without seatbelts even though it's legal) and they asked me to remove the seat to see the vin# so they didn't notice that, and the window regulator shit itself as soon as I got home and put the windows up. After 56 years it had one more wind left in it and that was for the blue slip. Laughing.

Now I can get to work on the 'dangerous/illegal' mods like modern front suspension and discs. Wouldn't mind looking at yellow rear tint too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

So I bought this 1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8 as a cheap bush basher/hunting rig. It was $1000 and is pretty straight. Most things seem to work but the engine needs a little love.
I've already added Ironman off-road suspension with raised springs and foam cell Pro shocks.

Next will be registration and some mud tyres. Then the back seats will go and I'll make a storage unit and put the Engel in. I'll put some lights on it and a bull bar if I can find a cheap one.
It's on lpg but lacks power. I'm dreaming of an LS1 conversion buy that's unlikely at this stage.
This is my first 4WD and my first V8. I'm not that interested in extreme four wheel driving but just want to be able to handle some rough terrain. I don't plan on going out and trying to get stuck. I'm too old for that shit.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

So I bought this 1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8 as a cheap bush basher/hunting rig.
Hahaha, landrover, V8, cheap.....

They could've paid you a $G to take it off their hands, and it'd never be cheap.

That said, they're awesome rigs.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

link1896

Mr Greenfield

So I bought this 1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8 as a cheap bush basher/hunting rig. It was $1000 and is pretty straight. Most things seem to work but the engine needs a little love.
I've already added Ironman off-road suspension with raised springs and foam cell Pro shocks.

Next will be registration and some mud tyres. Then the back seats will go and I'll make a storage unit and put the Engel in. I'll put some lights on it and a bull bar if I can find a cheap one.
It's on lpg but lacks power. I'm dreaming of an LS1 conversion buy that's unlikely at this stage.
This is my first 4WD and my first V8. I'm not that interested in extreme four wheel driving but just want to be able to handle some rough terrain. I don't plan on going out and trying to get stuck. I'm too old for that shit.
What, two 4x4s stuck in the sand in the little desert and you've buried the spare for the 5th time to whinch off and the beers run out is no longer fun?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Piston, if the previous victims, errr, owners haven't had to already, I'd seriously look at changing the prop shaft to one with serviceable unis, the oe units have a habit of letting go, and causing serious carnage.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have a series 2 td5, I speaks from experience. He won't need to go bush to get stuck, plenny of freeway maroonings to look forward to.

I worked on a heap of them in my past life and things broke that were very uncommon. The concept is fine but the way it all works is not. FFS who uses a fragile fibre gear set on the input shaft of a manual gear box pump and as soon as the seal shows some sign of wear they piss oil everywhere. When I mean piss everywhere, I mean all over the clutch plate.

Last edited:

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Piston, if the previous victims, errr, owners haven't had to already, I'd seriously look at changing the prop shaft to one with serviceable unis, the oe units have a habit of letting go, and causing serious carnage.

Thats pretty much a D2 specific issue with the Double Cardan joint on the front prop. Not an issue really on the earlier Discos which don't have a DC joint

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I worked on a heap of them in my past life and things broke that were very uncommon. The concept is fine but the way it all works is not. FFS who uses a fragile fibre gear set on the input shaft of a manual gear box pump and as soon as the seal shows some sign of wear they piss oil everywhere. When I mean piss everywhere, I mean all over the clutch plate.
I've read this a few times and it still doesn't make sense to me...

The oil pump on the manual gearbox (r380) is driven from the end of the layshaft at the very back of the gearbox and is a steel gearset.

This is the same basic set up in all r380's from the Disco1's through to the last of the Disco2's. It is no where near the bell-housing / clutch.

Here is an image showing the oil pump I broke properly after snapping a layshaft....

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've read this a few times and it still doesn't make sense to me...

The oil pump on the manual gearbox (r380) is driven from the end of the layshaft at the very back of the gearbox and is a steel gearset.

This is the same basic set up in all r380's from the Disco1's through to the last of the Disco2's. It is no where near the bell-housing / clutch.

Here is an image showing the oil pump I broke properly after snapping a layshaft....

That looks messy.

I'm thinking 110 county landrover sorry, it was a long time ago(mid 90s) It might of hooked up to the lay shaft on the front of the box but it pressurises the front input bearing seal. Pretty sure I pulled a cover of the front to replace it.

http://www.allfourx4.com.au/epages/shop.mobile/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/allfourx4/Products/90571086

On the disco's the auto's cook themselves to death on the beach, the air flow meters fail all the time, suspension bags play up, the old Discovery swerve from rubber control arm bushes and etc.. Things you would expect to see in high mileage cars but you would see it at low mileage.

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I work at a dealership that was a Land Rover dealer a few years back. When I brought mine in the service manager started having flashbacks and started talking about them all lined up at the gate after long weekends. He would swing past on a Sunday night just to see how many had been dropped off on tow trucks over the weekend.

Mine has started playing up already. I drove it on Saturday and it was fine. Sunday it was completely dead.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I work at a dealership that was a Land Rover dealer a few years back. When I brought mine in the service manager started having flashbacks and started talking about them all lined up at the gate after long weekends. He would swing past on a Sunday night just to see how many had been dropped off on tow trucks over the weekend.

Mine has started playing up already. I drove it on Saturday and it was fine. Sunday it was completely dead.
Eeeek! You should end up with some really good diagnostic skills for Rangies after this. You will become the official 'Rangie go to man' in the town.

This land rover can go anywhere, reliably, now...

View attachment 335990
Believe it or not they're actually a pretty good forbie, when they are running that is. Lol!

I was seeing a mate off in Harvey bay, QLD., which is directly across from Fraser Island a 4wd camping and fishing hot spot of Australia. While driving through the main town I stoped at a set of lights entering one of the main streets and I look over to spot a wrecking yard. In the front of the shop it had about 20 Discovery's and 2 of them are burnt to the ground. As I drove away from the lights a thought had crossed my mind, a thought of whether the owners had burnt them to the ground in anger or they were insurance jobs.