Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

slowmick

38-39"
Im not as across the trucking game as the car industry, but my understanding is that charging times are pretty much at the point where you charge on the mandated rest periods, and the range will get you as far as you're allowed to drive in one sitting.
I believe they are looking at swapping batteries at shorter distances to keep the weight of the truck down. A battery with enough charge for a whole driving shift eats into the payload too much.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I believe they are looking at swapping batteries at shorter distances to keep the weight of the truck down. A battery with enough charge for a whole driving shift eats into the payload too much.
Also doesn't work if you're running your drivers "two-up" (one driving, one sleeping in the bunk - truck only stops for them to do a driver change).

Range vs. weight vs. downtime are tricky for trucking. Electric could replace vast swathes of fleets with little issue* though as so much local distro doesn't run 24/7.

(*Other than actual supply of charging current from the grid. Bus companies looking at electric buses for route usage are struggling to get access to substations with sufficient capacity around Melbourne for even small numbers of electric buses - ie: 5-10 buses).

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I wonder what percentage of routes need the monster range? Feels like there would be a useful percentage where BEV works with existing operations.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
DAC is a long way from commercial, only real demonstration project is running in Iceland. But it gives you a source of CO2 that you can combine with "green" hydrogen to make syngas, which is turned into literally any hydrocarbon you like from methane to lubricating oils and anything in between.
Yeah but that's the problem. Combining short chain organic molecules into longer ones is a lot harder than going the other way. This is why we have 'crackers' in refineries to break down tar, and compress natural gas into CNG rather than convert to an easier to transport liquid like diesel.

Using mother nature to use sunlight to do the work for us is potentially more efficient than DAC. We could one day see huge off shore algae farms for biofuel. That will really scare the NIMBYS.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Freediver

I can go full Karen
DAC is a long way from commercial, only real demonstration project is running in Iceland. But it gives you a source of CO2 that you can combine with "green" hydrogen to make syngas, which is turned into literally any hydrocarbon you like from methane to lubricating oils and anything in between.
Are you sure it's syngas they're making? Syngas is a mix of CO and H and generally has a bit of CH4. Turning CO2 into CO can be done but it's pretty energy intensive and completely not worth it from my understanding.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Using mother nature to use sunlight to do the work for us is potentially more efficient than DAC. We could one day see huge off shore algae farms for biofuel. That will really scare the NIMBYS.

Much easier to plant trees. It's not that hard make biofuels from syngas using Fischer Tropsch. The Germans did it during WW2.

Haakon

Are you sure it's syngas they're making? Syngas is a mix of CO and H and generally has a bit of CH4. Turning CO2 into CO can be done but it's pretty energy intensive and completely not worth it from my understanding.
Im being sloppy with terminology, sorry. Its synthetic methanol they're making, thats then fed into the Fischer Tropsch lego set.

The overall reaction pathway involves the reverse water−gas shift reaction (CO2 + H2 → CO + H2O), followed by CO hydrogenation via HCO (CO + 2H2 → CH3OH) to form methanol

Haakon

Yeah but that's the problem. Combining short chain organic molecules into longer ones is a lot harder than going the other way. This is why we have 'crackers' in refineries to break down tar, and compress natural gas into CNG rather than convert to an easier to transport liquid like diesel.

My understanding is tha biomass derived carbon is really hard to scale, but then again DAC is not going to be a walk in the park either. Should have started 50 years ago....

quannum

Likes Dirt
Hopefully not too off topic, but I’ve been looking at getting a heat pump hot water tank, and I am getting ads for supply and install for under $100. A unit was around $5k installed from the lot that installed my solar panels. Obviously credits are involved, but what am I missing? That’s a massive difference in price. 5 years warranty on the cheap installs too…

Anyone used one of these cheap heat pump hot water deals and have stories to tell?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Hopefully not too off topic, but I’ve been looking at getting a heat pump hot water tank, and I am getting ads for supply and install for under $100. A unit was around $5k installed from the lot that installed my solar panels. Obviously credits are involved, but what am I missing? That’s a massive difference in price. 5 years warranty on the cheap installs too…

Anyone used one of these cheap heat pump hot water deals and have stories to tell?
We have a Sanden, they have the best reputation, it's going great a couple of years on. I'm almost certain nobody can do it for $100, that would mean the rebate covers at least 95% of the cost of whatever system they are providing because the cheapest is a couple of grand plus install. I can't recall such a rebate ever existing for anything. The units themselves have not got cheaper:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty

Where are you? The deals like you're getting ads for are usually dependent on the combination of govt rebates that are means tested and the STCs associated with the tech offsetting the cost of the cheaper units. The Chromagen Midea is the one that seems most common, and gets a mixed rep, but if it gets you off gas or resistive heating and you don't have solar it's still worth considering - as long as the install is decent. If you've got the $$, Sanden/Reclaim seem to be the most popular, seen some good things said about Thermann too.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I believe you can run ducts on them - you’ll need to expel the exhaust air from them other they’re going to freeze the room they’re in.

Hot water loves under the stairs. I couldn't imagine it would be a huge job to set one up outside, but plumbers.

Haakon

Hot water loves under the stairs. I couldn't imagine it would be a huge job to set one up outside, but plumbers.
Ours is inside too. And yes, plumbers... I even spent a couple of hundred on a copper pipe crimping too to avoid calling them!

But if you can get a duct to outside air somehow, you'll be ok with one.

1687144537906.png

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just to be sure...we are talking about instant hot water by electricity yeah?

Probably too many bricks to get through to make a new vent/duct.