Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Radio this morning had a discussion on the electrification of ACT.

People reckon they have to go 3 phase for heating and cooling, that just means their house is too big and/or inefficient. If your house is indeed that big, you have enough money to do what is required so stump up FFS. Also switching out water heating to heat pump will reduce that to about 1/6th of a storage system, which gives a bunch back for a hungry air con.

Sick of people making excuses. There really are no valid excuses anymore.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

People reckon they have to go 3 phase for heating and cooling, that just means their house is too big and/or inefficient. If your house is indeed that big, you have enough money to do what is required so stump up FFS. Also switching out water heating to heat pump will reduce that to about 1/6th of a storage system, which gives a bunch back for a hungry air con.

But how will they charge their 212kWh EV Hummers? ;)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Jetblack did make a smart trainer that was self powered through user effort but it suffered from not having an internal battery storage to buffer and/or the average purchaser didn't generate enough current
You need an E-Trainer that powers itself! :p

mark22

Likes Dirt

Oooh bit of an exaggeration for the Heat Pump HWS I reckon, after having had one for 16 years in SE Qld it's usage is about 1/3 to 1/4 of a storage system. In Canberra that's going to be less efficient.
Most now have an element to deal with subzero temperatures as the heat pump becomes less efficient.
I have a 3 phase 14kw ducted zoned AC sys. Which is really not that large, thinking back when I built the house some of the AC quotes and sizes were ridiculous like 21kw.
Justification was on the hottest/coldest day with all rooms on this capacity would be required. Yeah right gotta do that.

I have a PV 3.6kw which has generated roughly twice the amount of power I have pulled from the grid (excluding HWS)

I agree with you it's a bit of a laugh reading this thread with some people's usage and their reluctance to compromise on things like using a clothes horse instead of a dryer or using the solar one in the yard and their use of an AC system.

P.S lived in Victoria for 40 years, 2 kids etc. never had a Dryer, fuck must have been tough :rolleyes:

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

Ignorance is expensive.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is a heat pump got water system similar in concept to an instant gas hot water system? Hot water systems aren't something that I have spent much time caring about.

Justification was on the hottest/coldest day with all rooms on this capacity would be required. Yeah right gotta do that.
I'm pretty sure you do have to. I'm not trying to piss on your camp fire, but...like when it is cold I want to be able to walk around my house dressed for summer. I can't do that if all the rooms are not churning the aircon to a luscious tropical temperature.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Is a heat pump got water system similar in concept to an instant gas hot water system? Hot water systems aren't something that I have spent much time caring about.
Nope. It's another type of stored HWS. Just one that is more efficient in terms of the amount of energy used to heat the water. Ours runs each day between noon and 2 pm and heats the stored 220 litres up to temperature in about 40 minutes, typically. Only on a 15 amp circuit too.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
A good thing wrt to restricting new gas installs for residential is that builders can finally start exploring new heating/hot water arrangements. Panasonic for example have integrated AC/hot water heat pumps which share a condenser for ages but never had a 'market' to bring it to aus.

The other side of this is that the gas cartel have basically a stronghold on residential building and this has set us back 10+ years. I built a new home in 2019 and it was near impossible to get a no gas build.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nope. It's another type of stored HWS. Just one that is more efficient in terms of the amount of energy used to heat the water. Ours runs each day between noon and 2 pm and heats the stored 220 litres up to temperature in about 40 minutes, typically. Only on a 15 amp circuit too.
So after 2...it just uses whatever it heated in the middle of the day? Or you guys only use hot water in that window?