Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

slowmick

38-39"
You can get split heat pump hot water systems where the tank is inside and the condensing unit is outside.
I don't believe you will get instant hot water from a heat pump. if you did you would kill the compressor pretty quickly.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You can get split heat pump hot water systems where the tank is inside and the condensing unit is outside.
I don't believe you will get instant hot water from a heat pump. if you did you would kill the compressor pretty quickly.
Ahhhhh so different to an instantaneous hot water system. I love alone and only need hot water for 2 showers a day unless life is really good to me, so would think an instant system would be perfect. The capital outlay however has put me off.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Ahhhhh so different to an instantaneous hot water system. I love alone and only need hot water for 2 showers a day unless life is really good to me, so would think an instant system would be perfect. The capital outlay however has put me off.
I had a gas instant system for years and it was awesome. But no gas here and the electric ones are very power hungry and the good ones need a 3 phase supply.

I'm getting used to the tank system again and the whole concept of running out of hot water... I reckon mine is probably half full of sludge and scale though. I miss my instant system...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I had a gas instant system for years and it was awesome. But no gas here and the electric ones are very power hungry and the good ones need a 3 phase supply.

I'm getting used to the tank system again and the whole concept of running out of hot water... I reckon mine is probably half full of sludge and scale though. I miss my instant system...
Get an old school biomass fired boiler and fuel it with blackberries and bogans.

slowmick

38-39"
Our instant gas heater at home used to mounted above the toilet in the laundry. All first time visitors got a big surprise when it fired up behind them - the light and heat was quite something. That said, I guess the best place to be for a big surprise is sitting on the toilet.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Ours is inside too. And yes, plumbers... I even spent a couple of hundred on a copper pipe crimping too to avoid calling them!

But if you can get a duct to outside air somehow, you'll be ok with one.

View attachment 400510
A double garage is usually large enough to accommodate them. A unit instalation like this is not common and most units won't be able to be ducted due to design.
Condensate and expansion drains make this a problematic installation.

Haakon

A double garage is usually large enough to accommodate them. A unit instalation like this is not common and most units won't be able to be ducted due to design.
Condensate and expansion drains make this a problematic installation.
I figured you could make a shroud or something and attach some ducting if needed. Haven’t looked that hard at it yet, new hot water is a few items down the list of things to go here!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Hopefully not too off topic, but I’ve been looking at getting a heat pump hot water tank, and I am getting ads for supply and install for under $100. A unit was around $5k installed from the lot that installed my solar panels. Obviously credits are involved, but what am I missing? That’s a massive difference in price. 5 years warranty on the cheap installs too…

Anyone used one of these cheap heat pump hot water deals and have stories to tell?
Yeah... don't be going with the cheap heat pumps. It's the same modus operandi as the solar panel dickheads from a few years back. They are being dropped shipped by accredited suppliers by the container load, sold off to unsuspecting punters who then sign over their certificates to the supplier. The supplier then aggregates all those energy reduction certificates into one big bundle and then sells them on to a business that can't or won't offset its energy consumption or carbon emissions. The profit realised by your supplier can only be maximised by them supplying you with something cheap. And once they've done it a few times they deregister the business and then start again...so the warranty is worthless.

In summary, they only want the certificates...when we installed our Sanden they were worth about $2,200. That's enough coin to make it worth shenanigans. And there's no way that the cost to you will be as quoted in any internet ad. Once you get an actual quote, you'll find that the supplier won't be out of pocket...

mark22

Likes Dirt
I figured you could make a shroud or something and attach some ducting if needed. Haven’t looked that hard at it yet, new hot water is a few items down the list of things to go here!
The unit fan on most units won't handle the extra load of ducting presents.
In the end outdoor installation is best, given the unit does make some noise.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The unit fan on most units won't handle the extra load of ducting presents.
In the end outdoor installation is best, given the unit does make some noise.
With a split system like the Sanden, you can put the tank inside and the heat exchanger outside provided you don't have too long a distance between the two.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Automakers were forced into it, partially by mandates but mostly by Tesla. I should qualify automakers as "laggard legacy automakers" as being H2 curious. The exception there being Hyundai - but like Japan there are some complex geopolitical reasons being that to do with their respective governments - which are in turn like Germany heavily influenced by their automakers... TLDR, its messy.

Anyway, aerospace will no go biofuels long term, nothing will. There isn't enough biomass, especially if you're needing to feed people and/or retain a healthy biosphere. No, where liquid fuels are a must (aerospace and aviation) it will need to be synthetic hydrocarbons via DAC and H2.

As for trucks, battery electric will be a game changer. It totally works and the operational costs in particular will ensure their bulk adoption.
I'm hardly an expert but my understanding was that methane from DAC wasn't going to cut it with current technologies. Jet fuel is essentially kerosene on steroids so you needed a much longer carbon backbone from oils or fatty acids.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
The numbers on DAC's viability are not good if the guide linked above is anything to go by.

Haakon

The numbers on DAC's viability are not good if the guide linked above is anything to go by.
They’re really not…

Scotty T

Walks the walk
BTW - there is no point

Cool and normal.