Newly Released Suspension & Components General

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Half the SIDs have been warranted for bushing play, only to be replace by another that had bushing play.

I pulled the legs on mine after a couple of weeks to find there was no oil in there so maybe the ultimate bushing package means they come with lubrication.
Got to pay for the lube!

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

Only buttercups in the flight attendant models so far so it'll be interesting the see the new models. Semi curious about the shock with the HBO.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
10 second summary - "Smoother off the top, more supportive yet more supple, friction reduced by 20%, added air bleed valves, squarer arch shape to make trailside differentiation from Fox easier, more clicks in your knob-twirlers, and arbitraily restricted travel options."

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
10 second summary - "Smoother off the top, more supportive yet more supple, friction reduced by 20%, added air bleed valves, squarer arch shape to make trailside differentiation from Fox easier, more clicks in your knob-twirlers, and arbitraily restricted travel options."
Ha, yeah. Interesting to see some real world feedback once they have been in the hands of everyday riders for bit.

The HBO on the shocks is nice, not sure pressure relief valves are worth it. Well not in Aus as most riders won’t see massive elevation changes. Except @Cardy George he has some massive hills out his way ;)

PJO

in me vL comy
Buttercups or marketing bullshit cups? That is the question.

RS have added these things to the bottom of the airshaft (and damper) and claim that they will reduce 20% of the vibration to your hands because of the connection with the lowers.

The only thing these rubbers bumpers can do is reduce the transmission of forces from the movement of the lowers into the airshaft and the damper. The airshaft and damper then transmit these forces into the upper through friction. So it's only the transmission of forces through the airshaft and damper seals that are being reduced, the friction from the bushing and the seals between the lowers and stanchions is unchanged.

Maybe the engineers can help me here but is there a great deal of friction in those areas? Enough to account for a claimed 20% reduction. I can understand that if you didn't have any lube in there that it would be bad, but the airshaft is usually well lubed and the damper is bathed in oil. I can't see the reduction as more than a couple of percentage points at best...

What am I missing?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New and improved? Do you still need to open them up to be sure the air spring has the correct amount of grease and there is oil in the lowers? Now that would be a good fix?

teK--

Eats Squid
Buttercups or marketing bullshit cups? That is the question.

RS have added these things to the bottom of the airshaft (and damper) and claim that they will reduce 20% of the vibration to your hands because of the connection with the lowers.

The only thing these rubbers bumpers can do is reduce the transmission of forces from the movement of the lowers into the airshaft and the damper. The airshaft and damper then transmit these forces into the upper through friction. So it's only the transmission of forces through the airshaft and damper seals that are being reduced, the friction from the bushing and the seals between the lowers and stanchions is unchanged.

Maybe the engineers can help me here but is there a great deal of friction in those areas? Enough to account for a claimed 20% reduction. I can understand that if you didn't have any lube in there that it would be bad, but the airshaft is usually well lubed and the damper is bathed in oil. I can't see the reduction as more than a couple of percentage points at best...

What am I missing?
It's 20% reduction and thus feels better for the internal components. The actual vibration reduction transferred to the grips for the rider is only 1%.

DUH!