Nerfonomics

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I see his point. The extra overtime should be making the discretionary spending not going towards essentials. I think he means the govt is failing genuine people.
This

I get his point as well - and don’t disagree but the way he is making his point in contrary instead of making his point.
No, I made the point. You can't see past how I made it.

Overtime is great. Having access to it is great. Relying on it to get by is a poor outcome in every way. That's not @indica fault. The story of how "fortunate" it makes him is part of the problem. He's become acclimated to feeling that this is somehow normal to supplement this way. It's not. It's a sad state of affairs.

I'm glad that it helps smooth the bumps out, but it is in practice only a short term solution, to what is ultimately a long term problem.
Got an unexpected bill for a blown transmition? Sure, overtime will fix that. Everything increasing exponentially in price month on month for the forseable future? There is a breaking point.

When inflation is curbed, it's not like things are going to go back to last year's prices. Can one reasonably expect to keep working overtime as the new normal? What happens when it's not available?

The reason I made the point the way I did is because if it isn't seen for the poor outcome it is, shit can get out of control real quick. Less time becomes available to spend looking at alternatives (e.g. higher paying employer, better conditions, upskilling etc). How can any of those be reasonably achieved when you're fucked after chasing your tail for ever increasing hours each week just to stay afloat?

Look at @caad9 situation. extra 2700 a month just on mortgage to a couple months ago, no end in sight. Just do some overtime? There isn't an unlimited number of hours in a week.

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
at @caad9 situation. extra 2700 a month just on mortgage to a couple months ago, no end in sight. Just do some overtime? There isn't an unlimited number of hours in a week.
I should add, at the moment we are covering things ok, but the elastic can only stretch so far.
Pressure could wind up to breaking point if it goes significantly further from here.

I work with some people in their 50’s and some younger ones in their mid to late 20’s. Both groups are basically unaffected by interest rate rises for the reasons I mentioned earlier. My situation with a young family is quite specific but we were barely spending money on anything beyond living expenses prior to all this and now we certainly can’t. Caught in the crossfire!

There would be people out there in far more stride than us and I feel for them immensely.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I should add, at the moment we are covering things ok, but the elastic can only stretch so far.
Pressure could wind up to breaking point if it goes significantly further from here.

I work with some people in their 50’s and some younger ones in their mid to late 20’s. Both groups are basically unaffected by interest rate rises for the reasons I mentioned earlier. My situation with a young family is quite specific but we were barely spending money on anything beyond living expenses prior to all this and now we certainly can’t. Caught in the crossfire!

There would be people out there in far more stride than us and I feel for them immensely.
We have friends in their early 60s who had rented all their lives until quite recently. No point in judging what where how and why. They have found their mortgage payments have jumped dramatically to the point where they are reassessing their spending. And their planned retirement ages.
We are lucky enough having worked the hours and the locations to be unaffected by the mortgage rate hikes but that doesn't mean the cost of living isnt noticed. At this stage it has had a limited impact because we live a pretty simple life but as things get worse it will need addressing and that means discretionary spending will be curtailed.
As for working OT to keep food on the table or pay bills it is not unheard of whether it is morally right or not. I worked with a guy who was so leveraged he worked every extra shift offered and even then would have $5 free to spend on a lunch or something at the end of the week. I was amazed that this was his and his wife's plan for at least 5 years. His retort was that he would be rich when I was scraping by on the pension. Well that worked out, he and his wife had their marriage torn apart by the financial pressure on top of the other marital things that happen and they lost out. Both are with others and both are going to be working to the ripe old age of 478. Those years of pain were not worth. I am sure others have managed better and come out on top. It all comes down to what your priorities are in life. Working addition OT or another job shouldn't be needed to survive but sometimes reality gets in the way.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Yeah wasn't suggesting that you're not, just pointing to the increase being what it was. Nothing you said suggested you're currently not managing.

You're the really lucky one to have a disposable 2700 to absorb the increases without needing to work longer hours to do it. To cover that sort of cost with overtime would be the nightmare scenario :(

My mate breeds tarantulas as a side hustle. Apparently it's quite lucrative for the effort involved if anyone is keen lol.

safreek

Haven't been really reading this thread butt fuck me, the cheese I buy has gone from 7.50 to 11.40. Thanks labor, keeping the poor poor

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Haven't been really reading this thread butt fuck me, the cheese I buy has gone from 7.50 to 11.40. Thanks labor, keeping the poor poor
Of course it's Labor's fault. If only the Libs were still in, the poor would be throwing cash like confetti.