Nerfonomics

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Um, you should see where I work, that easily done in a fortnight, let alone a month.
I know some people that do it too, then come to rely on it.
That doesn't make any sense. If there's so much work to be done, why aren't they hiring more staff so they don't have to pay twice as much for it to be done?

Flow-Rider

Burner
We have been running 3 or 4 training courses year since 2014 and never catch up, it is such a money pit.
Inductions, clothes, medicals, people can't hack the conditions, and then it's all a waste of money, that's why mining has 12hrx7days.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We have been running 3 or 4 training courses year since 2014 and never catch up, it is such a money pit.
We're the same, OT shifts every day of every week in my place. Power generation, outages, sick cover, holiday cover, projects, training, covering secondments... you really do write your own pay cheque.

Its been like that since the late 90's and there is no way for a company in certain industries to cover every eventuality with full time employees. Its cheaper to have a core group and cover 'extras' with OT.

I make myself NA (not available) or just say no, have done for quite a few years as I dont really need the cash (at this time) but probably moreso, cant be f%#ked ruining my days off, I occasionally decide that I have smashed the banky and do a few... reckon I did 2 or 3 after the week gap between the Deviate build and the Spur purchase, just to keep the numbers looking the same.

I know plenty of guys who absolutely rely on OT for living.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Thanks dickhead.

We don't produce anything, it's a mindless government job
Yes, but those training courses are run by people. Those people probably have a bloated corporate office. I bet they even have a factory to house all the cross stitchers, to custom monogram their corporate logo.

Industries created just for the sake of existing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks dickhead.

We don't produce anything, it's a mindless government job
Yeah but it's a growth industry!

My gov employee regularly runs interviews for jobs in my team. The quality of candidate is low and if any are lucky enough to be selected by the time the system is ready to onboard them we are lucky if they turn up.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah was a Manchester page but we can relate ;)

They are getting smashed by heating oil prices over there. Was 29p in 2020, now around £1.20p a litre, 2022 is going to be a long cold Winter.
Last time I was in Italy in 2018, my father didn't have any internal heating so we bought a 45kg lpg gas tank for a mobile gas heater, and it was something like 70 euros. He was 82 and would just pile on the clothes and never bothered to use it since his ex passed away. I did a starter motor on the concrete, fuck was it cold, had about 3 jumpers on and a jacket, and two pairs of jeans.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Analysis from RateCity shows that from Australia's two biggest banks - Commonwealth Bank and Westpac - a staggering $99 billion worth of mortgages are coming off a fixed rate in the second half of 2023.
Multiple subsequent cash rate hikes from the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) over the course of that fixed-rate period means many borrowers will suddenly be facing a jump in repayments by up to 65 per cent.
"People on a fixed rate shouldn't put their heads in the sand, but instead take action while they can," RateCity.com.au research director Sally Tindall said.
"Instead of dreading the day your fixed rate ends, consider testing out your budget now by making these higher repayments while your rate is still low.

Westpac warns of 'inevitable' fixed-rate impact amid $5.3 billion profit