Little Things You Hate

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Renovating bathrooms.
Waterproofing went and i figured in for a penny may aswell redo it because it’s fucken green and gross and the layout makes zero sense with the worlds shittest tiny vanity in the largest space.
Can’o’wormies have been opened and I’m over it.
We came to same conclusion, got a waterproofing leak in the shower fixed and thus a new frameless screen so better update the rest, new bath, new vanity. Some tiling... Never again. Mind you I have after today decided the most stressful reno job is hacking into someone else's bench top to fit a new cooktop. That also comes under never again. Old cooktop was too close to the wall so needed spacing and then the hole needed biggening anyway but the cupboard frame was going to get thin... freehand with a jigsaw and it worked. Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhh.

Flow-Rider

Burner
We came to same conclusion, got a waterproofing leak in the shower fixed and thus a new frameless screen so better update the rest, new bath, new vanity. Some tiling... Never again. Mind you I have after today decided the most stressful reno job is hacking into someone else's bench top to fit a new cooktop. That also comes under never again. Old cooktop was too close to the wall so needed spacing and then the hole needed biggening anyway but the cupboard frame was going to get thin... freehand with a jigsaw and it worked. Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhh.
That's all the sparkies do, pisses me off how the stove top sizes are always within a few mm of themselves but hardly ever the same.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Try hacking into your own benchtop (that you've spent hours building out of bits of rough sawn river red gum) for both the sink and the cooktop. Certainly, my jigsaw hated it!!

And I'm setting up to do it again in this house.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Fucking 4WDers. Found this fucknuckle perched on the take off to a double on the local handbuilt trails. Photo op apparently.
Said fucknuckle in photo all hangdog after a tongue lashing on his way to retrieve his piece of shit which then caused more damage trying to get it off. :mad:
IMG_0632.jpeg

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Fucking 4WDers. Found this fucknuckle perched on the take off to a double on the local handbuilt trails. Photo op apparently.
Said fucknuckle in photo all hangdog after a tongue lashing on his way to retrieve his piece of shit which then caused more damage trying to get it off. :mad:
View attachment 406623
"aaww bro but it was the only place I could find to show off some sik articulation bro"

Take some solace from it probably cost him 50% of his weekly apprentice wages in fuel just to set up the shot.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That's all the sparkies do, pisses me off how the stove top sizes are always within a few mm of themselves but hardly ever the same.
Interesting. #1 who is a sparkie by trade did the disconnect for the old one, checked the wiring was ok for the new one and checked the isolator was up to latest standards etc. We didn't have the new one then but after measuring the hole and checking the specs for the new one he said I will wire it up but making the new one fit is a you problem! And thus it was. He turned up for all of 10 minutes to redo the connections and test it... I should add that #1 prefers to work on generators and transformers, the 500t variety of generator. He finds domestic and commercial a pain to do. He said many many words installing the fan light in the master. Mostly along the lines of I fucking hate installing fucking fans.
Try hacking into your own benchtop (that you've spent hours building out of bits of rough sawn river red gum) for both the sink and the cooktop. Certainly, my jigsaw hated it!!

And I'm setting up to do it again in this house.
I would be happier doing my place, better range of tools on hand and if I screwed it up well it's my place and I could throw on a trim of aluminium or brass to cover up the mistake.

Last edited:

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Waterproofing went and i figured in for a penny may aswell redo it
one of the best investments we made was getting a building inspection done on our place just before the 7 years building warranty ran out, they had some wizardry that checked moisture behind the tiles. both bathrooms waterproofing had gone and mirvac redid it all at their expense. seems its keeping tilers and the like well employed in our suburb where people arent seeing the issue until its at their own expense.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
one of the best investments we made was getting a building inspection done on our place just before the 7 years building warranty ran out, they had some wizardry that checked moisture behind the tiles. both bathrooms waterproofing had gone and mirvac redid it all at their expense. seems its keeping tilers and the like well employed in our suburb where people arent seeing the issue until its at their own expense.
Yeah nice one!
My joint was built in 1973 haha, no luck on a warranty sadly haha.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Interesting. #1 who is a sparkie by trade did the disconnect for the old one, checked the wiring was ok for the new one and checked the isolator was up to latest standards etc. We didn't have the new one then but after measuring the hole and checking the specs for the new one he said I will wire it up but making the new one fit is a you problem! And thus it was. He turned up for all of 10 minutes to redo the connections and test it... I should add that #1 prefers to work on generators and transformers, the 500t variety of generator. He finds domestic and commercial a pain to do. He said many many words installing the fan light in the master. Mostly along the lines of I fucking hate installing fucking fans.

I would be happier doing my place, better range of tools on hand and if I screwed it up well it's my place and I could throw on a trim of aluminium or brass to cover up the mistake.
Not many sparkies like crawling in dusty roof cavities to run wires. The guy I use is about 65 years old and have been using him for the last 20 years, and doesn't even charge a call out fee. Not sure what I'm going to do when he retires. The last time he went on holiday I called someone else out and they wanted to charge hideous amounts of money.

teK--

Eats Squid
Geoblocking, exclusivity deals, exorbitant shipping.

I know we've been whinging about geoblocking for a while now so I'll skip straight to the next parts that grinds my gears...

What is it with brands entering into exclusivity deals, which just makes it so much harder for their customer to get what they want when they want?

I have been buying bearings from a very well known Australian operator ever since I've ridden bikes. Recently they announced they lost rights to sell a very common brand. The new company has exclusive rights. Sure, this happens for reasons.

Except now the only way to buy that bearing in Australia, is to sift through multiple online shops in the hope they might sell the bearing you need, and actually in stock. There isn't actually any retailer who sells a wide range. Inevitably you need to split your order across multiple sites, when my original bearing guy would usually sell all the sizes and keep good stock levels.

Buying from overseas is not usually an option as it seems most shops have priced themselves out with the shipping. $40 to ship 1 bearing? No thanks. They probably do this on purpose to avoid the hassle of dealing with customers abroad.

Anyway, that's my rant.

teK--

Eats Squid
That's a shit thing to do to them after 18 years @teK-- Nothing but the best customer service over the years. Just shit.
Agreed. I wonder if that was a big chunk of their sales, and losing this brand might just be a nail in the coffin. Hopefully not and they can get set up with another brand that is as good or better.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Feel like I've had a week surrounded by people with a comprehension issue...and have a strong suspicion the next week is going to be the same, just new and less people.

silentbutdeadly

Geoblocking, exclusivity deals, exorbitant shipping.

I know we've been whinging about geoblocking for a while now so I'll skip straight to the next parts that grinds my gears...

What is it with brands entering into exclusivity deals, which just makes it so much harder for their customer to get what they want when they want?

I have been buying bearings from a very well known Australian operator ever since I've ridden bikes. Recently they announced they lost rights to sell a very common brand. The new company has exclusive rights. Sure, this happens for reasons.

Except now the only way to buy that bearing in Australia, is to sift through multiple online shops in the hope they might sell the bearing you need, and actually in stock. There isn't actually any retailer who sells a wide range. Inevitably you need to split your order across multiple sites, when my original bearing guy would usually sell all the sizes and keep good stock levels.

Buying from overseas is not usually an option as it seems most shops have priced themselves out with the shipping. $40 to ship 1 bearing? No thanks. They probably do this on purpose to avoid the hassle of dealing with customers abroad.

Anyway, that's my rant.
I tended to just get what I needed at the local bearing supplier and for anything else actually bike specific https://www.scvimports.com.au/category/401-bearings

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Old blokes that get all sad and dramatic when you don't have parts on the shelf for their truck.

Their 1981 model truck. He's had this truck for longer than I've been alive and I'm nearing 40.

TBH, I've been doing stuff for this brand for ~11 years now and I'd never even heard of the model he reeled off.

"Oh, but what am I going to do?", and when you respond "I can order the parts in for you..." they just give you a bewildered blank stare, then "But I really need one today" (On a Saturday, in regional Victoria). :rolleyes:

silentbutdeadly

Old blokes that get all sad and dramatic when you don't have parts on the shelf for their truck.

Their 1981 model truck. He's had this truck for longer than I've been alive and I'm nearing 40.

TBH, I've been doing stuff for this brand for ~11 years now and I'd never even heard of the model he reeled off.

"Oh, but what am I going to do?", and when you respond "I can order the parts in for you..." they just give you a bewildered blank stare, then "But I really need one today" (On a Saturday, in regional Victoria). :rolleyes:
I feel attacked...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

He will just have to stuff a potato down his jocks until he gets the ute back on the road.