Lame article in Financial Review

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have access to shower, locker, change room and shower. Car parking is also a real pain where I work. Out of a staff of around 50 I am the only cyclist, despite many people living within a 10km radius.
If you build it they won't come.
When my current employer built a new facility 2 years ago, they had architects incorporate a stand alone bicycle parking room that provides 24/7 secure storage for bicycles via an ID swipe card. The room has climate control, has motion sensors for lighting, 2 showers, storage lockers that are accessed via ID swipe card, a pretty well though out rack system that minimises contact points on frame when securing bike, and the last time I visited the office I was informed that there are 5 staff, a 3% participation rate, who regularly commute via bicycle.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
You are very lucky, my employer put up some additional fencing to create the bicycle storage area which is unsecured as the fencing is only 2.2m high. There are no secured racks inside. The area is under the main office building but open to public walk through traffic. Already had one bike stolen and the office is located in Glenside, SA an middle/upper income suburb not a light industrial area or the CBD

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You are very lucky, my employer put up some additional fencing to create the bicycle storage area which is unsecured as the fencing is only 2.2m high. There are no secured racks inside. The area is under the main office building but open to public walk through traffic. Already had one bike stolen and the office is located in Glenside, SA an middle/upper income suburb not a light industrial area or the CBD
I know right!. I don't work at the main office but I rode in for a meeting and was amazed at the setup. There are even showers in the change rooms in the main building for those who feel uncomfortable using the unisex showers in the bike room. A bit sad that it is so underutilised.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn that sucks regarding the stolen bike. Was the owner of the bike be able to obtain some compensation or a replacement bike via an insurance claim?

I found it hard to believe that so few people have taken advantage of the great facilities put in place at the office. Maybe setting up salary sacrifice for bicycles would encourage more staff to leave the car at home.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
sure is if you can avoid the corporate culling that's going on in a few joints.
I embraced the big R just over a year ago and life couldn't be better. I honestly can't think of anything I miss about working in a large corporation. Only regret would be not pumping more into my super while I had a higher disposable income. But hey...yolo. That's how the kids say it yeah?

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
one of my clients in the cdb just upgraded bike parking. It used to be the space underneath the carpark ramp, had to keep your helmet on for when you ran into the sprinkler system. Now it's a swipe card cage, 3 types of bike racks and a nice pump/repair station. change rooms are on a another level you can only reach by a very slow lift, but they do provide towels, one less thing to carry. Lockers though are for day use only, cleared out every night.
It does seem that more buildings are putting effort in this area

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[video=youtube;VBR19amcTLE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBR19amcTLE&list=PLTN4Afxv_hgM7VnWJMTFxVGtwk434Dec9&index=4[/video]

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A good start might be for the rider in their screen grab to wear a helmet...

Living in the central part of a relatively flat town filled with hip youngsters, I see way too many fools on bikes that quite clearly have left their common sense at home with their helmets. Not just wearing a helmet either, but shit like looking before crossing the road, riding on the wrong side of the road, riding 2 or 3 abreast on the road/cycleway/footpath, and riding bikes that are in desperate need of repairs/servicing. FFS there is a charity in town here that teaches you how to do it for free and has parts etc...sure if you're a hot girl the service is much better.

All pales in comparison to the idiocy of trying to set a speed record on your roadie on a shared path...

Flow-Rider

Burner
A good start might be for the rider in their screen grab to wear a helmet...

Living in the central part of a relatively flat town filled with hip youngsters, I see way too many fools on bikes that quite clearly have left their common sense at home with their helmets. Not just wearing a helmet either, but shit like looking before crossing the road, riding on the wrong side of the road, riding 2 or 3 abreast on the road/cycleway/footpath, and riding bikes that are in desperate need of repairs/servicing. FFS there is a charity in town here that teaches you how to do it for free and has parts etc...sure if you're a hot girl the service is much better.

All pales in comparison to the idiocy of trying to set a speed record on your roadie on a shared path...
I see the same shit here, there are a few advocacy groups or think they are, sprouting a lot of crap. Everyone else cops the backlash from their actions, I've hardly had any problems on the road. There was a young kid here in Brisbane that got hit by a bus, bike had no brakes, he rode partly up a one-way street + no helmet.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I see the same shit here, there are a few advocacy groups or think they are, sprouting a lot of crap. Everyone else cops the backlash from their actions, I've hardly had any problems on the road. There was a young kid here in Brisbane that got hit by a bus, bike had no brakes, he rode partly up a one-way street + no helmet.
Ah yeah...unfortunately there is little that can be done regarding Darwin Award candidates. The overall message is that when building new infrastructure, consideration should be made for cyclists. Perth seems to be getting its shit together regarding bike paths and encouraging commuting via bicycle. The next step for Perth will be to add additional bicycle only cars on the passenger rail services. Perth is so spread out now, the metropolitan area is nearly 180kms in length, and there is a curfew at peak hour 06:30 to 08:30 and 16:30 to 18:00 that prevents taking a bicycle onto a train. I suspect if an additional rail car dedicated for bicycles only was added to the train during curfew times then a lot more people would commute via train then bike. Would definitely be worth a trial for 12 months in my opinion.

Last edited: