Lame article in Financial Review

scblack

Leucocholic
This article has appeared in the Financial Review today. What a lame arse article. Her entire reason for this tripe seems to be that in Copenhagen people ride smoothly and oh-so politely, due to having dual direction 3 metre wide cycle lanes. But Sydney has issues because apparently the single lane cycleways in Sydney ROB traffic flows from cars. What a dumb argument.

How about we get some journalists who have a clue? No wonder Fairfax Media shares have dropped through the floor the last few years. (and all other media companies.)

On your bike for the commuting future

"Bicycles have long been China's main mode of transport but cars and congestion have become a reality in many cities."

by Jennifer Hewett
The morning rush-hour commuters stream past in a steady blur of traffic until the lights turn red. Everyone comes to an obedient stop, giving me enough courage to slowly join in the throng as they all start up again. I wobble a little but only for an agonising second or three, holding what suddenly seems a monstrously sized handbag over my shoulder. I regret even my modestly high heeled sandals.
But this is getting to work or school or university or shopping Copenhagen style – on a bike. There is not a piece of Lycra in sight and only a very occasional bike helmet. Instead everyone is dressed in ordinary clothes and shoes. Thankfully, few people seem to feel the need to demonstrate their physical fitness and superiority by trying to outpace the cyclists behind or ahead of them. Even the bikes look modestly functional rather than high technology marvels of engineering and ever lighter frames.
I certainly see no posses of impatient-looking men bent low over their handles and travelling at high speed and even higher flashes of lycra. No one even rings a bell, let alone mutters angrily at me for getting in their rapid way. Instead it is all about being normal in a city where one-third of trips are made by bicycle. Every large building or shop seems to have hundreds of bikes propped up outside. Parents cycle with their small children sitting in large wheeled boxes in front of the handles. Most of the women tend to dress in sensible pants for pedalling but there are a few flowing skirts too.
Naturally, this is all much easier to manage on Copenhagen's very wide, very flat streets.
At odds with Sydney

In Copenhagen, one-third of trips are made by bicycle. Matthew Evans

It is nothing like the daily dance with death or serious injury performed by cyclists on Sydney's narrow, overcrowded and irregular streets to the mutual fury of car drivers and cyclists alike. That version of ill-suited, ill-tempered, ill-managed sharing of the road is why I gave up my bike years ago. Now I am simultaneously worried about the longevity of anyone who cycles to work and alarmed at how much more dangerous passing cyclists makes any car journey of mine. In the Sydney CBD, the bike lanes are relatively little used but still manage to squeeze and slow traffic to even more of a crawl. It is not possible to make the streets any wider. The cyclist's gain is very obviously the motorists' loss.
In Copenhagen, the experience is quite different. One-way bike lanes running alongside the traffic lanes are typically three meters wide and well signed, and often separated by a footpath or cement kerb. Across the other side of the street, the bikes travel in the other direction. It is all very orderly and co-ordinated. No pedestrian dares to quickly cross a bike lane without looking first. No cars are parked in the way. Cars and bikes generally engage in a spirit of wary co-operation – especially when it comes to cars turning right across a bike lane.
There are still plenty of accidents. I am warned to be careful and stay alert and I remain uncomfortably conscious I have no helmet. But it all seems to work relatively smoothly and I don't even see a near miss or an awkward fall on my leisurely ride through the city. By the end of a few hours, I am becoming overly relaxed – although I do contemplate the reality that a ride in early autumn sunshine is radically more attractive than the exercise performed in winter rain and cold.

International resurgence

But even in bad weather, it seems, the cyclists of Copenhagen are rarely deterred. Along with Amsterdam, the city is leading the resurgence in international cycling fashion. Increasingly other big cities are trying to follow them along similar route to cycling accessibility. About 700 cities now have bike share or rental schemes. In cities like Bern, Switzerland, there is no charge for the first few hours of use at least. In Barcelona, "el bicing" is a version of public transport where subscriber residents ride a bike from one spot to another which is free for the first half-hour and at minimal rates thereafter. Stations are always situated near to metros, parks and carparks, and users have a special card. From Los Angeles to London to Sao Paulo cities are experimenting with bike lanes while trying to better and more safely separate motorists and cyclists.
It is true most of China has gone in the other direction. Chinese public transport has been revolutionised as well. But the bicycles that were the main mode of transport for previous generations have been replaced by multi-lane freeways and ring roads increasingly full of cars. Still, even the city of Guangzhou is now experimenting with bike paths. China's very obvious need to deal with gridlock and pollution means other Chinese authorities will inevitably also try to challenge the dominance of the car. Yet despite various experiments to make cities less car congested and more friendly to walking and cycling, it is still unclear how much of an impact this will have on traffic flows overall. Few cities are as well suited as Copenhagen to mixed use of the roads and it is still a relatively small and compact city.
In Australia, Melbourne has many wider roads but even they still peter away into smaller overcrowded streets. Smaller cities like Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and especially Canberra are somewhat more cycle-friendly. But for the rest, cycling remains a constant battle with cars for a greater share of overcrowded streets. The dominant image remains men in lycra rather than women in casual clothes. I will be the one in the car.
Read more: http://www.afr.com/opinion/on-your-bike-for-the-commuting-future-20150907-gjgool#ixzz3l6EDW6ga

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You're holding on too tight SC!

She just points out that Sydney is shit for bikes, and who the fuck could argue with that.

It's a cultural and historical difference - European cities accept cycling, promote it and don't make it any harder - Sydney (Australia perhaps) has discouraged cycling, not planned for cyclists, and created an us and them attitude.

Roadies seem on occasion to do a totally awesome job of continuing the us and them attitude. All Sydney roadies should be forced to commute in Melbourne for a month.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I don't quite understand what she is trying to say other than "aren't I cool because I rode a bike on holiday in Copenhagen" and that she doesn't like anybody fitter than herself and therefore capable of travelling faster on a bike than she is. I also get that she doesn't like lycra.
To me it seems she is making a whole heap of vaguely related points with no real contention.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Obviously hanging out on the BNA forum and reading the "Oh Copenhagen is so great story" and everywhere else sucks.

John U

MTB Precision
Do any of these plonkers acknowledge how much space a single occupant car takes up on the road compared to a single occupant bicycle?

If they all rode motorcycles traffic congestion would all but disappear. Cars are the problem, not bicycles.

Klips

Likes Dirt
You'd think that, at least in the CBD, congestion should be decreasing based on the 50 trillion different ways you can now work (and measure work performance) without someone showing up to an office.

scblack

Leucocholic
You'd think that, at least in the CBD, congestion should be decreasing based on the 50 trillion different ways you can now work (and measure work performance) without someone showing up to an office.
If you are driving through the CBD you are an idiot, unless you park in there for work. Public transport is so good to CBD, and with cross city tunnels etc: to actually drive in CBD streets means you are utterly lost, or a major tight-arse skimping on a toll. Driving through CBD is unnecessary.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think we all know the real issue here is non-compsory helmets. People in Copenhagen don't have to wear helmets, so arrive at their destination with fantastic hair. In Australia riders arrive with helmet hair. Helmet hair is another way of saying "fuck off environment terrorist" or "I know you're a fat lazy fuck" to those who drive everywhere. This makes motorists angry, raising their urge to kill cyclists and appease their shame. Say no to helmets!

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
I think we all know the real issue here is non-compsory helmets. People in Copenhagen don't have to wear helmets, so arrive at their destination with fantastic hair. In Australia riders arrive with helmet hair. Helmet hair is another way of saying "fuck off environment terrorist" or "I know you're a fat lazy fuck" to those who drive everywhere. This makes motorists angry, raising their urge to kill cyclists and appease their shame. Say no to helmets!
I think non compulsory helmets would help. Also bike rego all those poor drivers pay for all the roads to be built through their rego surely bikes must pay too. Bring on bike rego and everything will be solved.

Last edited:

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Her hearts in the right place even if she is wrong about the effect of cycleways in Sydney. Just the fact that it is an article about commuting is good enough for me. And that we are now talking about it here.

Australia could today have the same cycling culture of Copenhagen and the infrastructure that it brings if attitudes and opinions change. In 1973 Denmark had an oil crisis and the cycling culture we see today is what was born from it. I know at least in my city the chief traffic engineer doesn't even think cyclists exist when it comes to infrastructure planning.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Say what you will for and against helmets but if they become non-mandatory cycleways will start become safer as it will influence infrastructure planning. The liability of shitty cycleways becomes ever more apparent.

Her hearts in the right place even if she is wrong about the effect of cycleways in Sydney. Just the fact that it is an article about commuting is good enough for me. And that we are now talking about it here.

Australia could today have the same cycling culture of Copenhagen and the infrastructure that it brings if attitudes and opinions change. In 1973 Denmark had an oil crisis and the cycling culture we see today is what was born from it. I know at least in my city the chief traffic engineer doesn't even think cyclists exist when it comes to infrastructure planning.
I dunno, I aint doing a 120km a day commute on a treadly

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would you drive 50km and then park and ride for a lower cost of parking, beating congestion, health benefits if you can't find time to ride outside of work ours etc.?

A lot of people won't but its one way to alleviate the demand for parking spaces in a CBD.

Would you drive 50km and then park and ride for a lower cost of parking, beating congestion, health benefits if you can't find time to ride outside of work ours etc.?
Perhaps, if I had access to a change room, shower and secure place for my bike and could ride on a cycle path. No way am I riding into the city on the road, cunce be crazy on the road at that time.

Was actually gonna do it in spring, could have parked at a mates place and rid in with him (he lives near lane cove NP and you can cycle path it into town from there) but I got rissoled from city gig so now I play with the sharkies from time to time.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Perhaps, if I had access to a change room, shower and secure place for my bike and could ride on a cycle path. No way am I riding into the city on the road, cunce be crazy on the road at that time.
Good stuff. Those sorts of facilities are exactly what governments should be looking to create.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I have access to shower, locker, change room and shower. Car parking is also a real pain where I work. Out of a staff of around 50 I am the only cyclist, despite many people living within a 10km radius.
If you build it they won't come.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Even better if employers provide it. Not sure I want to share a shower with the general public...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Good stuff. Those sorts of facilities are exactly what governments should be looking to create.
You would think they would be compulsory aspect of new office buildings...alas.