How to remove stripped shock bolt??

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Alright so

Drive in torx bit with big hammer, check. Heat with hairdryer till it's to hot to touch, check.
Start turning, check.
Repeat because it still so tight I only get a couple of tiny movements before head threads, fing CHECK.

After a couple of goes I now have the bolt part way out (3mm or so) but we now have our next installment in fuck this bolt and the bike it came in on.

The bolt is now just spinning in place after coming out maybe 3 turns. Gone from stripped bolt head to stripped thread I think. Any ideas on getting a bolt out that doesn't wind out when you only have a few mm of bolt head to work with?
This is better than reality TV, screw the bachelor bring on Litenbror - when are you going to start live streaming this shiz? & do you have a PR guy yet..

stirk

Burner
Nope came out a few mm then just started spinning in place. Got a few new suggestions to try on tonight's episode of 'this fing bolt'
You definitely need assistance now, one person to pull and the other push. Could be a fun activity for two people.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
This is better than reality TV, screw the bachelor bring on Litenbror - when are you going to start live streaming this shiz? & do you have a PR guy yet..
I'll set the web cam up in the garage, it'll be like watching a live stream of a monkey in the zoo with a hammer and expensive bike parts. Now we need a title I'm thinking 'Big monkey says more hammer'

Maybe this thread needs a voting button.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
You definitely need assistance now, one person to pull and the other push. Could be a fun activity for two people.
This is a group activity I can get into, one puts it in and pushes while the other twisted on the other end till you get a nut off...

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Wow - this has turned into a clusterfuck. Whatever caused this, it’s a bad design or choice of materials.

Can you undo the other end of the linkage and other end of the shock to get the combined shock and linkage off the bike?

Might free you up to lay in on a bench with a cutout under the bolthead then push the bolt through from the other side with much hammer?

This has the added bonus of not killing your frame when you’re tired, angry and the hammer deflects and smashes into something else...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
First off the showntitle isn't catchy enough. It needs to be shorter. I say:
  • Monkey Hammer
  • More Hammer
  • Hammer Time

Now to the issue at hand, how good are you with an angle grinder? I reckon it's time to slide a grinding disc (or hack saw if you're a pussy) through the bolt, between the shock eyelet and the frame tab.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
First off the showntitle isn't catchy enough. It needs to be shorter. I say:
  • Monkey Hammer
  • More Hammer
  • Hammer Time
Now to the issue at hand, how good are you with an angle grinder? I reckon it's time to slide a grinding disc (or hack saw if you're a pussy) through the bolt, between the shock eyelet and the frame tab.
I like it but you forgot hammer monkey, I'm leaning towards hammer time I have a source with heaps of happy pants I can feature a different pair each episode.

When it comes to a grinder I'm a surgeon (think Simpsons Dr Nick) and it has taken a huge amount of restraint not to reach over and fire that baby up. If it doesn't move by the time the replacement gets here it's a spark shower for sure.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Wow - this has turned into a clusterfuck. Whatever caused this, it’s a bad design or choice of materials.

Can you undo the other end of the linkage and other end of the shock to get the combined shock and linkage off the bike?

Might free you up to lay in on a bench with a cutout under the bolthead then push the bolt through from the other side with much hammer?

This has the added bonus of not killing your frame when you’re tired, angry and the hammer deflects and smashes into something else...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortunately it's off the bike and the shock and small bit of linkage are on the work bench, this would have been impossible if it was still on the bike.

What caused it, a couple of main factors
1 - the bolt was massively over torqued from the factory so along with liberal Loctite it was never coming out.

2 - I should not have tried to get it out when I realised it was over torqued, it's a new bike under warranty should have put it in the ute and taken it to the local focus dealer, let them have the headache.

3 - bolt is made for a nice vintage cheddar that has been sitting in a warm spot for a while.

TLDR. Factory fd up, I fd up and the bolt is a sandwich filling.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
We demand answers, no updates yet from "Tales of Monkey Hammer", it either went well and nothing to report or really, really poorly and @Litenbror has imploded in a fit of rage .
I say epic level of failure followed by drunken attempt to escape...we won't here from him for a few days.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
We demand answers, no updates yet from "Tales of Monkey Hammer", it either went well and nothing to report or really, really poorly and @Litenbror has imploded in a fit of rage .
Probably pulled so hard on Monkey Hammer he threw his back out

I was hoping to get my daily fix also, the anticipation is killing me