How to remove stripped shock bolt??

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Alright I might be in the fwit thread when this is all said and done but for now I need some help.

Was chasing a squeaky noise last weekend and found the linkage on my focus jam was making a racked. Started taking the linkage apart with the intention of cleaning and re-greasing when the top shock bolt stripped when trying to get it off. I haven't touched it since I bought it new 3 months ago and it's wayyyy over torqued. Not sure how or why but it doesn't matter now.

So contact store I bought it from in Adelaide and they are getting me a new bolt and I was going to use a bolt extractor to get the old bolt off. Get it all set up this afternoon to extract the bolt and BAM just ate through the bolt head and didn't move a millimetre.

I've attached photos below and would appreciate any advice anyone has. Next step from me is drilling it out but that will be a mission I think as I will have to drill out both sides without damaging the thread?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Is the bit that says 12Nm the bolt head? Though why are there internal threads he asks himself. Anyway if the mushroom head is the bolt try a small sharp cold chisel to turn it, not shear it off. Or cut a slot with a hacksaw and use a screwdriver or impact driver. It may turn enough to break the loctite and let you get it out. If though it is the centre section try drill smaller than the thread root diameter and whack an allen or torx bit in and try again if you dont have the right sized easy out.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thanks @Dales Cannon the 12nm is the bolt head the pics aren't great I had to screen shot the actual pictures to get them small enough to upload. I would love to be able to cut a slot and use a screw drive but the bolt head is recessed in the linkage, cold chisel might work. The photo with the internal thread is the opposite side of the linkage so if I drill it out I still have to get that part out of the linkage.

The torx is probably the next option thanks @moorey. The bolt did turn before busting so I figured the Loctite was cracked and I have soaked it in penetrating fluid for a while so next will be heat and a torx I guess.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Is the bit that says 12Nm the bolt head? Though why are there internal threads he asks himself. Anyway if the mushroom head is the bolt try a small sharp cold chisel to turn it, not shear it off. Or cut a slot with a hacksaw and use a screwdriver or impact driver. It may turn enough to break the loctite and let you get it out. If though it is the centre section try drill smaller than the thread root diameter and whack an allen or torx bit in and try again if you dont have the right sized easy out.
Ah just worked out the internal threads comment, it's the left over from the extractor.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Heat cycle it a few times before you go after it again.
Heat it up, put it in the freezer, heat it up, put it in the freezer, heat it up etc etc.
A good penetrant is 50/50 acetone & auto trans fluid.

Easy-Outs can be either the best tool in the world or Satan's Own migraine. At that diameter you'll need a very, very delicate touch.

Heat gun would be best.
MAP torch, not so much.
Oxy Acet = mandatory GoPro recording + F.W. thread entry.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The acetone/dexron3 (atf) blend is the absolute shiz for penetrating stuck assemblies

But the acetone will do bad bad things to paint.