Home Brew

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the recipe and the tip guys. Mate, I've gotta ask, how drunk were you when you decided it would be a good idea to make Christmas pudding flavoured beer.
Not very. Christmas pudding fruit and spices in a porter should work very nicely, however using the boil water was a stupid idea. It definately tastes christmassy, but with undertones of butter, and because of the oils, has shithouse head retention. It's not getting better with age either. I'll probably have to tip it when I can be bothered.

Next year's will be better.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Just entered a couple of brews in a competition to win a 1400l brew and a tap at Young Henry's, a new brewpub in Newtown.

IPA

[FONT=&amp]Bongin Bongin Bay Skull IPA[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[FONT=&amp]Pours an Autumnal coppery hue with a slightly rocky, creamy head. You’ll notice a mildly peppery, floral & citrus fruit aroma. The palate is hop forward, with notes of orange marmalade and spice finishing with a soft, lingering bitterness.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Hops: Motueka (NZ), Pacifica (NZ)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Base Malt: Perle[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]ABV: 7%[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Perceived IBU: 75

Red IPA

[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Bongin Bongin Bay Woe-Be-Gone Red IPA[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Pours a deep, deep red with light carbonation & a creamy head. Slightly bready, floral & citrus aroma. Roasty, dark chocolate/citrus palate with a warming, bitter finish.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Hops: Warrior (US) Amarillo (US)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Base Malt: Perle[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]ABV: 7%[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Perceived IBU: 85[/FONT]

I don't think i have a hope in hell! The second pic is a bit shit, because I was more interested in sampling the beer than setting up my ghetto studio (some tea lights, a desk lamp and my girlfriend holding a torch)
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
I'll post up whatever feedback I get.

jazzyj

Squid
those labels look top notch.

i have just finished brewing a black IPA tonight.

good luck with the beer comp. I know a few blokes have entered, so it looks to be a popular event

donny70

Likes Dirt
+1. Chili beer is almost always stupid. Nearly as stupid as the beer I made with the boil water from last year's christmas puddings.

You could follow jazzyj's recipe and add some vanilla beans instead of the chillis for a real treat. See if you can get ahold of some Holgate Temptress and see if you like it first though!
I always add some lactose to mine to bring out the chocolate flavours. This has made it a favorite amongst my lady friends. This is not necessarily a good thing though, as it's also my favorite.

Reminds me of the time I dry hopped my summer ale with bitter orange blossoms, they drank all that too!!

I think I'll make some IPA's...

clydesmcdale

Likes Bikes
Haven't brewed in a while. Still got 2 cubes of Landlord waiting for some 1469 that I have't been bothered with culturing up from a slant. Have both a Black IPA and a mid-strength APA on tap.

Just not drinking as much anymore... Which has been a good thing dropping 25+kg.

May start up again soon Ian reduce capacity. I have a 60L herms that's in pieces at the moment. But might try some single batches shortly.

Last edited:
I have stopped brewing as my wife does it all now :juggle::juggle::clap2:
And now i just have to fit bike racks to this for trips away .....

NCR600

Likes Dirt
First foray into filtering & Polyclar VT. I'd say it's working!

Red IIPA. 97 IBU, 8.5%abv Warrior, Simcoe, Amarillo

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
Wow, nice setups guys.
I can only aspire!
I've done a few basic brews a few years ago had a break an just started up again.
I've done a couple of pale ales and just bottled a hoegaarden style so slowly getting a little experimental.
I check for new posts daily but for some reason this is the first time this thread has popped back up since I commented!?

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
keeping your brew at a steady temp without running ac constantly? Can I just wrap a few towls around them or something else? Its annoing this time of year becaue the nights are getting cool but can still get pretty warm during the day.

scblack

Leucocholic
keeping your brew at a steady temp without running ac constantly? Can I just wrap a few towls around them or something else? Its annoing this time of year becaue the nights are getting cool but can still get pretty warm during the day.
Put your fermenter in a tub of water, like the laundry sink. That will help reduce the temperature fluctuations. Also you could use ice cubes or whatever to reduce the brew temp as much as possible. Keeping steady temperature is nearly as important as getting temps as low as possible.

Clutched

Likes Bikes
Picked up an $80 used 500l fridge last night to replace the busted 500l one I gave away last week, so I'm back to four fridges and a chest freezer.
A mate asked me to make a batch for his wedding, so I did a Coopers Pale Ale clone and it's pretty tasty.

After a year of no-chilling, still haven't made the witch to using the plate chiller that I bought with the Brew Magic and I'm considering selling it, but I know that I'll kick myself for doing it later.

chillwizard.jpg

Next purchase is a mill, followed by a kegging setup for the chest freezer, as bottling 2 x 45 litre batches sucks ass.
If I've got the chest freezer already, what's the bare minimum I'm going to need to start kegging?