Home Brew

scblack

Leucocholic
You'll get less bottle sediment after 8 weeks too and probably a clearer beer.
Though it does depend on how you treat the fermenter before bottling. I used to move the fermenter from the fermenting fridge to its bottling location at least 12hours before bottling, as when you move the fermenter some of the sediment will be stirred up and I gave it the time to settle back down.

indica

Serial flasher
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone...

Tastes great, needs a little work but for my first move away from K + K not bad at all.

binner

Hath shat hymself
back to it

So after giving away home brew about 5 yrs ago and giving away all my gear/ tallies/cappers/crates etc etc because I said the famous "Ill never brew again cause I gotta stop drinking so much". I returned on sat dee and smashed down a drum. Just started out with a Coopers pale ale to "git back into the groove". I've been searching for my Dads 70's brew book/recipes but I f@#$in can't remember where I put it.

Mate of mine gave me one of these brew kegs for shits n giggles .....but she be burpin already, can't wait to see how it works/tastes/lasts......anyone used one of these things?.

Attachments

binner

Hath shat hymself
and the dutch........

Beermachine? Nope.
I'll report back.......got a few days to go till I can chill in the fridge and then carbonate the sucker up and taste. I'm not expecting anything special but we will see.

It was a Dutch Larger I did

jazzyj

Squid
What direction do you want to go.
you want an IPA with a belgian yeast,

or a hoppy belgian pale ale

I have a recipe for the latter
90% Pils
7% Cara 60
3% buscuit malt

90 min boil
30IBU of hallertau at 60 mins
4IBU of hallertau at 5 mins

My preferred belgian yeast is WY3522 (LaChouffe strain)

Last edited:

donny70

Likes Dirt
That sounds nice. Do you push the temp at the end to get more yeast character or just leave it do it's thing?

jazzyj

Squid
I have found that pushing the temp early on gives the most character when the yeast is in a growth phase,
weather pushing it at any stage gives you the spice or the banana or even pear notes in the belgians, is something that has to be experiemented with on a yeas by yeast basis. the duvel strain can take a flogging temp wise, like a saison, but a similar strain will be horrible

anyway

I am pretty conservative with my Belgian fermentation profile, i pitch at 18 and let the beer free rise to 20, and hold it there. I would never let it go over 22 unless i knew the outcome beforehand.

binner

Hath shat hymself
no gas,

I'll report back.......got a few days to go till I can chill in the fridge and then carbonate the sucker up and taste. I'm not expecting anything special but we will see.

It was a Dutch Larger I did
.....well, it is S H I T !
im about to do whiz up an "inmate brew" ,never done it before so we will see.Seems pretty simple

has anyone used these http://sedexbrewing.com/index.html

donny70

Likes Dirt
I have found that pushing the temp early on gives the most character when the yeast is in a growth phase,
weather pushing it at any stage gives you the spice or the banana or even pear notes in the belgians, is something that has to be experiemented with on a yeas by yeast basis. the duvel strain can take a flogging temp wise, like a saison, but a similar strain will be horrible

anyway

I am pretty conservative with my Belgian fermentation profile, i pitch at 18 and let the beer free rise to 20, and hold it there. I would never let it go over 22 unless i knew the outcome beforehand.
Sweet, I'm off to brew me some beers.

indica

Serial flasher
Early taste of my first Saison... wow, some freaky flavours there.
Also a Citra Aussie Pale, yum, yum ,yum

indica

Serial flasher
Needed to put down something fast, empty fermenter and the kids at home

Recipe: CMG Pale Ale

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 1 7.7 %
1.50 kg Light Malt Extract (Coopers) (53.0 EBC) Extract 2 46.2 %
1.50 kg Wheat Malt Extract (Coopers) (65.0 EBC) Extract 3 46.2 %
10.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 5.6 IBUs
10.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 5.8 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 4.4 IBUs
10.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 9.3 IBUs
10.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 4.6 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 1.4 IBUs
10.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.1 IBUs
10.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 1.5 IBUs
10.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 Hop 12 0.8 IBUs
8.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 Hop 13 1.2 IBUs
7.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 Hop 14 0.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg BRY-97 (Lallemand #) Yeast 15 -

donny70

Likes Dirt
I've decided in the end to do a complete range with the WLP500 as I had enough cropped yeast to get all the 1L starters on the go.

Two of the beers will be aged with wood. The Choc stout with French oak and the IPA with bourbon barrel cubes. Here are the labels for them too. Let me know what you think.

Last edited: