Home Brew

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Temp control for the freezer to maintain dispensing temp, beer gas, regulator, kegs, John Guest fittings, beer line, bronco tap.

Once you get that sorted you can then expand and grab a filter for between the fermentor and the keg and then set the chest freezer up with fonts and taps.

clydesmcdale

Likes Bikes
Next purchase is a mill, followed by a kegging setup for the chest freezer, as bottling 2 x 45 litre batches sucks ass.
If I've got the chest freezer already, what's the bare minimum I'm going to need to start kegging?
Bare minimum and appropriate minimum are 2 separate things.

Bare minimum setup;
STC-1000 temp controller and box etc - $50
Keg - 19L Cornelius (Used) - $70
CO2 Keg Charger + Disconnect - $43.50
CO2 Keg Charger Bulbs - 16GM (5 pack) - $19.90
Bronco Faucet & Hose - $14.90

Total $198.30. Around $200 clams is pretty good value.

This can all be used as a portable party setup ocne you get yourself som emounted faucets and a gas bottles setup, which should add another $500 or so on top.

But you'll need something like the following to complete a decent setup

CO2 Bottle
Manifold
Gas lines
Beer Lines
Quick Disconnects
Taps

donny70

Likes Dirt
Have just bottled my chimay blue clone. Wlp500, 9%. Now just have to wait till Christmas to try it. Next up a grand cru wit beer.

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
Christmas! Why so long? Is that wait time specific for that brew?

I'm just about to bottle a coopers Mexican with some extra hops for a bit more flavour. Pretty boring I know.
In the other fermenter I have a mangrove jacks mixed berry cider for the ladies which we added some black tea to cut the sweetness a bit.

Would love to keg one day

donny70

Likes Dirt
Christmas! Why so long? Is that wait time specific for that brew?

I'm just about to bottle a coopers Mexican with some extra hops for a bit more flavour. Pretty boring I know.
In the other fermenter I have a mangrove jacks mixed berry cider for the ladies which we added some black tea to cut the sweetness a bit.

Would love to keg one day
I'm using the same principal the Trappists use when they brew as I'm using their yeast. 9% = 9 weeks in the bottle. That way the flavours will develop and the hot alcohols will die down a bit.

indica

Serial flasher
Put down Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale yesterday,
Ordered some stuff from Cooper's as they currently have free shipping and living where I do that makes a big difference.
Cheeky Cherub coming my way...

Cider on the go too with some wine yeast and 2kg sugar, should be about 11%...

indica

Serial flasher
I've done the dr smurtos a few times now always turns out great!
Hope it does. Bastardised it a lot actually. No Amarillo so I used the Perle I have, will use Cascade for the dry hopping...
Not to worry, smells tops... hops... mmm

donny70

Likes Dirt
I used motuka and Amarillo in mine. Pretty much what I had left over. All I'd say about the recipe is that it takes a few months in the bottle to even out and it becomes phenomenal.

wembas

Likes Dirt
Ive got an English Red in the fermenter that will not stop bloody Blurping !!! 8 weeks now and counting... Keep going to bottle it - and then .... BLURP.

starting to think something is a miss.

scblack

Leucocholic
Ive got an English Red in the fermenter that will not stop bloody Blurping !!! 8 weeks now and counting... Keep going to bottle it - and then .... BLURP.

Just need to do a couple of gravity readings two days in a row. Burping still can happen, but if the gravity is not changing, you're ready to bottle.

8 weeks should be WAY finished!

jazzyj

Squid

That is done, the burping is just C02 coming out of solution in the beer due to the increased temp because the days are getting warmer.