Home Brew

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sounds pretty tasty Christo. And isn't it "I'd prefer a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"?

I've got an all juice cider on the go at the moment. Apple and Pear with some Cranberry, Raspberry and Blueberry in there as well. Wyeast 4766 doing the hard yards. Tastes fantastic out of the fermenter....just past halfway now.
D'oh! Too much home brew perhaps?

Nice, I've never had much luck with ciders - although I've only tried two before. Any additions to keep sweetness or going for a dry cider?

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2kg dried wheat malt mix from G&G
1.5kg Coopers liquid wheat malt
1kg orange blossom honey
Safale T58
40g Saaz pellets
2 Hallertau hersbrucker plugs
15g coriander seeds, crushed
15g grated ginger
25g orange zest
5g star anise, crushed
5g cardamom pods, crushed

Boiled about 9l, with 1kg of DME 20g Saaz at 30min,
Added the next 20g at 10min with the aromatics.

Strained into fermenter,added the rest of the malt and water to 25l, pitched yeast and dry hopped with 2 plugs..
Best Hoegaarden copy I've ever tried, except for the colour, it's perfect, has a wonderful, velvety head. Best brew I've made so far.

jazzyj

Squid
Just did a Chimay Blue clone last night
17L batch

3.75kg Joe White Pilsner Malt
250g Light Munich
180g Special B
180g Aromatic
180g Medium Crystal
280g Dark Belgian Candi Syrup
180g Sucrose
15g Tettnang & 20g Saaz @60mins
Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

If it tastes as good as it looks and smells, Ill be happy... guess Ill fine out in a couple of weeks.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holy shit, this one's like no other beer I've tasted before, not quite carbonated enough but I had to try it three days early. So simple but such a different taste, I'd say passionfruit and butter are the two main flavours... Even Mrs. Christo liked this one. I would argue that anyone can make a decent beer with extracts, it's so easy, everyone should try it.

80g Nelson Sauvin hop pellets
3 Cascade hop plugs
Safale US-05 yeast
2 x 1.5kg Coopers Light LME
1kg G&G dextrose
23l Water

Started a 4l boil with 1 can of LME, added about 25g of Nelson sauvin hops.
Boiled for 60minutes, added remainder of hops at flameout & poured into fermenter with the other can and the dextrose. Topped up to 23l with cold water.

Pitched my already creamed yeast (warm water & a teaspoon of glucose for 15 minutes) at about 26 degrees, knowing by morning it would be about 20 degrees. Added 2 cascade plugs

Primary fermentation went for one week, racked to secondary with gelatine finings and a final cascade plug.

Bottled 1.5 weeks ago. Tried tonight, what a ripper...

Next time, I'll swap amber for one of the light cans for a bit more of a richer flavour to counteract the funky hops.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Just tried a american IPA I brewed-kit and kilo with additional hops to give some more kick. Not bad, but in serious need of more flavour. The can was described as well hopped so I figured adding extra would make it wickedly bitter-decidely not so. It had all the right flavours, just not enough. Still, the brew provided fuel for a poker night with some mates so it wasn't all bad. I was more concerned about getting my bottles back though than about what happened to the beer!

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
D'oh! Too much home brew perhaps?

Nice, I've never had much luck with ciders - although I've only tried two before. Any additions to keep sweetness or going for a dry cider?
I threw in 450g of Lactose and between 200-300g of Dextrose. Not sure if the ferment has got stuck because it's sitting on 1020 at the moment which is a touch high. Tastes good out of the fermenter, might leave it for another week and see what happens.

I used 7 and a bit 2.4L bottles of Berri Apple and Pear juice and 3 bottles of an Apple 'Triple Berry' juice.

Thinking if I do it again I'll put a far higher proportion of the Triple Berry juice in.

Threw down a Coopers Heritage Lager last Thursday with Carapils, LDME, Dex and some Hallertau.

Investigating some Swiss Voile so I can do an AG BIAB batch for my 15L fermenter. Itching to do all grain.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the best way to avoid bottle's & not an $$ keg system???? Would plastic bottle Ie Cokes bottle's do ok?

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Thomas Coopers IPA is a nice ready to wear IPA.

Good stuff.
The rest of the IPA I did got tipped out, it was the homebrew version of budlight (was hopeing more sierra nevada). I'll take a shot at the Thomas Coopers. The one I made didn't taste bad, it just didn't taste.

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
A bit of a grave dig here. Anyone tried Homebrew(jail) Wine? I've currently got 6L of Apple and Mango juice fermenting.

2x 3L Golden Circle Apple & Mango Juice (No preservatives, Colouring, Flavouring, No added sugar)
4 cups of Castor Sugar
- I bought some Dates and Sultanas. Put them in a saucepan and covered them in water, brought them to a boil and mashed them then strained it into the brew.
1 brewers yeast.

I used my dads old Beer brewing kit with heater and I didn't forget to sterilize. It's been going for *almost* a week and JUST started to ferment(26c). Should be good to go in about a month. :)

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit of a grave dig here. Anyone tried Homebrew(jail) Wine? I've currently got 6L of Apple and Mango juice fermenting.

2x 3L Golden Circle Apple & Mango Juice (No preservatives, Colouring, Flavouring, No added sugar)
4 cups of Castor Sugar
- I bought some Dates and Sultanas. Put them in a saucepan and covered them in water, brought them to a boil and mashed them then strained it into the brew.
1 brewers yeast.

I used my dads old Beer brewing kit with heater and I didn't forget to sterilize. It's been going for *almost* a week and JUST started to ferment(26c). Should be good to go in about a month. :)
Sorry dude, but unless you get ridiculously lucky somehow, any basic homebrew wine is going to taste like shit. Having done an 8 week experiment on it/done it myself, plus watched everybody else doing it too (with almost nothing different to what you've got above) and having teachers tell us that in the last 5 years, nobody's produced anything worth swallowing, the chances aren't high.

Sounds weird that it's taken a week to start fermenting though, should be a matter of hours. Can't think of why it's taken so long to start fermenting.

I can suggest chucking it in the fridge when it hits cider territory, cause the stuff we all made was pretty decent still at that stage.

indica

Serial flasher
That "wine" sounds like a cider with sultanas in it.
Just do a cider, put champagne yeast in it and it comes out quite "winey" and very nice.

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
I was guessing it took so long to start because I didn't heat it for anything plus I used some fairly old yeast...Atleast 8 years... I'll wait 2 weeks - Freeze - Clarify it - Syphon it into bottles - Freeze and then let it sit for awhile. It smells like a strong white wine. I didn't really know what to call it so I just said wine.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was guessing it took so long to start because I didn't heat it for anything plus I used some fairly old yeast...Atleast 8 years... I'll wait 2 weeks - Freeze - Clarify it - Syphon it into bottles - Freeze and then let it sit for awhile. It smells like a strong white wine. I didn't really know what to call it so I just said wine.
:/

Holyfuck.

Nice :D

EDIT:

Wait, if it smells like wine, it's fermented dude.
Why you reckon it's not done?

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im all for experimentation with grog but this is so much cheaper and easier if you want to make hooch out of juice.
http://www.oztops.com.au/
It works pretty quickly and some can taste alright, I used to use them in my very poor days but havent used them for a while, the ones I have are probably stuffed by now.

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
Im all for experimentation with grog but this is so much cheaper and easier if you want to make hooch out of juice.
http://www.oztops.com.au/
It works pretty quickly and some can taste alright, I used to use them in my very poor days but havent used them for a while, the ones I have are probably stuffed by now.
Well I spent like $15 or $20 on it just for fun so if it turns out like shit it doesn't really matter to me, but the yeast I used was Beer and Wine and I think it will taste fruity enough. I'm more interested in the process then actually drinking the 'cider' and those tops are kinda pointless if you kill off the yeast and syphon it into bottles... fizziness isn't really a #1 concern, I would prefer to get the method and alcohol content down first.